THE BROWNS BOARD

(I Don't Like) The New NFL Model

AP1

Even into the last decade, the NFL was still able to take pocket passers from the college game and mold them into viable starters.

With each passing season, the college game has nearly fully evolved to athletic QBs coming from offenses running some variation of RPO and producing less pocket passers.

The athleticism and ability of NFL defenders is starting to chew these guys up and spit them out faster than the college game can produce them.

A couple decades ago, the color guys in the booth or the analysts on the pre-game or halftime show were in their 40s and 50s, at the youngest. Now it seems they are in their 30s.

There was a time a QB was literally drafted to be a 10-12 year starter. The way the game is played now, that's not realistic. Guys are signing their second contract for dollars based on the next TV deal and aren't living up to the hype. Teams don't care because the next go 'round the figure will start at $275M.

I feel like I've done a terrible job trying to explain this, I'm venting frustration about athletic QBs that don't stay athletic because they're too busy getting hit or running for their life. 

The pendulum will start to swing a little the other way pretty soon.  As defenses have gotten lighter and faster to counter the pass....some teams will figure out there is a cost effective way to compete by deploying a big fullback big O line driven running game the overpowers small light defenses.  You'll see it in college first most likely.  Everyone can't run a spread and win.  

• Upvote 1

To piggyback on the original post, another problem is how many teams have taken QBs with one season of college football starts under their belt and immediately start them? 

I still contend that to win championships you need a QB who can stand in the pocket, read a defense and make accurate throws. If he can also run, fantastic, but getting QBs who can run first is the long way to ultimate victory. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

To piggyback on the original post, another problem is how many teams have taken QBs with one season of college football starts under their belt and immediately start them? 

I still contend that to win championships you need a QB who can stand in the pocket, read a defense and make accurate throws. If he can also run, fantastic, but getting QBs who can run first is the long way to ultimate victory. 

I struggled to say the above. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Pat Mahomo said:

The pendulum will start to swing a little the other way pretty soon.  As defenses have gotten lighter and faster to counter the pass....some teams will figure out there is a cost effective way to compete by deploying a big fullback big O line driven running game the overpowers small light defenses.  You'll see it in college first most likely.  Everyone can't run a spread and win.  

As much as I'd love to agree with you, I have a hard time thinking the NFL wants the game to slow down and would welcome the lower scores that come with that style of football.

I enjoyed playing that kind of football. I enjoy watching that kind of football. But the casual fan that turned into the mega fan over the last 10-15 years probably would not welcome it.

3 hours ago, AP1 said:

I enjoyed playing that kind of football. I enjoy watching that kind of football. But the casual fan that turned into the mega fan over the last 10-15 years probably would not welcome it.

perfect analysis.

To me, these 37-34 "shootouts" kind of suck. Give me a 21-17 or 16-14 game anyday.

• Upvote 1