THE BROWNS BOARD

Tale of the Tape - Browns @ Seahawks

Orion

image.png.448b385369b3bb0321f211a210e4b141.png

We improved one ranking spot each on offense.  But our main weapon, the running game, is a bunch of injured RB's and Pierre Strong.  And no John Kelly on the PS.  And wouldn't ya know it, the Seahawks are the #2 team against the run.  And they're respectable against the pass while averaging about 4 sacks per game.  They are a formidable defense.  With the QB that we have to start, and the injured RB's that we have, these numbers say that we'll be punting all day long.  - That said, our D matches up pretty well against them....and like the previous 2 games, we're going to need our D to make them punt all day too.  

My little grey cells (brain) seems to recall that we often play poorly in Seattle.  We have to hope for another 49'er type game.  The D keeps them punting out of their end of the field, and Hopkins continues to nail his long FG's.  An 'ugly' game...for the win.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Weird game map this week.

https://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2023&wk=8

Of course most of Ohio gets the game, except us suckers in Cincy and my forsaken homies in Van Wert. The Pacific Northwest is locked in too. 

And there’s this weird population center trend this week where every city you would catch a connecting flight through gets the game too. Atlanta, Jacksonville, NYC, Boston, Juneau, Miami…

IMG_9390.png

10 hours ago, Orion said:

My little grey cells (brain) seems to recall that we often play poorly in Seattle.  We have to hope for another 49'er type game.  The D keeps them punting out of their end of the field, and Hopkins continues to nail his long FG's.  An 'ugly' game...for the win.  

I want to get there, but I just can't. And NO Dutch, I'm not being negative and I don't always believe Browns will lose. I correctly predicted a victory last weekend. I mean, who didn't think PJ Walker would engineer a game winning drive from the 25? 😂

But this is a different animal. If you remember, we had a BUNCH of negative runs plays last week and Colts were DARING us to pass. They'd literally have 9 or maybe 10 in the box, knowing that we just couldn't block the blitz or find an answer through the air. I just can't see us moving the ball, and I can't see us scoring enough points to win. They're great against the run and they don't allow many points. I think we could get boat-raced. 

That being said, any given Sunday and all that jazz. Is there a path to victory? Of course, but it's going to take another Herculean effort from Garrett and the defense will have to tackle and force FG's. As good as the defense has been in most games, I still want more, and I feel like we're giving up too many TD's. I know I'm asking a lot, but without a functional offense, we're going to need ALL the help we can get. 

Geno WILL make risky throws, no doubt. He's quite talented, but he likes to fit it in there. Get some hands on a few passes and pick them off. Another defensive TD and we're on our way! 

This is a different matchup offensively. 

I think many of us didn’t think too highly of the Colts.  They have arguably one of the best 1/2 punches in the backfield.  Their offensive line has some pieces and seemed to be coached well.  Pittman and Downs are two up and coming WRs.  Gardner gonna have his moments both ways.   We saw all of that and they’ve been that way all year.  Their OC was on his game too.

The Hawks are struggling with their Oline.   They aren’t thinking let’s go 4 wide and sling it not with Myles and company in town.  Geno isn’t being Geno of 2022. They got a couple backs that run hard definately not Taylor shiftiness that gave us problems or an Oline that can win battles.  They run 4/5 deep at WR that plays right into what we can do take away weapons and I think DK, Lockett, JSN, Bobo will have our attention.  I look for a conservative game plan from Pete - definitely some screens and misdirection plays early.  I don’t see that team putting up over 21 on us. 

So any given Sunday… can we find 21 points? If we need to find more we may be SOL. 

They have a really nice rookie corner Witherspoon- maybe susceptible to some double moves.  Can PJ Walker hit on a couple passes? 

I have watched 2 of their last 3 games…they are not a juggernaut by any stretch and have some areas like the OL where you see them stall out against pedestrian defenses in the redzone. 

Force FGs…win the turnover battle…can Walker and the WRs  capitalize on opportunities…we can win. 

52 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

This is a different matchup offensively. 

I think many of us didn’t think too highly of the Colts.  They have arguably one of the best 1/2 punches in the backfield.  Their offensive line has some pieces and seemed to be coached well.  Pittman and Downs are two up and coming WRs.  Gardner gonna have his moments both ways.   We saw all of that and they’ve been that way all year.  Their OC was on his game too.

The Hawks are struggling with their Oline.   They aren’t thinking let’s go 4 wide and sling it not with Myles and company in town.  Geno isn’t being Geno of 2022. They got a couple backs that run hard definately not Taylor shiftiness that gave us problems or an Oline that can win battles.  They run 4/5 deep at WR that plays right into what we can do take away weapons and I think DK, Lockett, JSN, Bobo will have our attention.  I look for a conservative game plan from Pete - definitely some screens and misdirection plays early.  I don’t see that team putting up over 21 on us. 

So any given Sunday… can we find 21 points? If we need to find more we may be SOL. 

They have a really nice rookie corner Witherspoon- maybe susceptible to some double moves.  Can PJ Walker hit on a couple passes? 

I have watched 2 of their last 3 games…they are not a juggernaut by any stretch and have some areas like the OL where you see them stall out against pedestrian defenses in the redzone. 

Force FGs…win the turnover battle…can Walker and the WRs  capitalize on opportunities…we can win. 

Geno Smith has to come down to earth eventually... The Seahags are overrated...