THE BROWNS BOARD

Workers comp

Westside Steve

44 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Settle a dispute:

Is Watson or any PUP player a recipient of worker's comp? Or do the Browns eat the salary?

WSS 

(Ps anybody notice the scowl on his wife's face? No wonder he spent so much time in the massage parlor)

WSS

I know Greg Pruitt received Workman's Comp back in the day.

You may already know this, but the State of Ohio mandates employers pay into it. Claims are typically denied, bounce back to the employees health insurance, and it can be a very drawn out process to settle anything. Lots of red tape.

My guess is Watson has filed (or his lawyer on his behalf) and it's pending.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

I know Greg Pruitt received Workman's Comp back in the day.

You may already know this, but the State of Ohio mandates employers pay into it. Claims are typically denied, bounce back to the employees health insurance, and it can be a very drawn out process to settle anything. Lots of red tape.

My guess is Watson has filed (or his lawyer on his behalf) and it's pending.

Well that will help offset the Haslam blunder. I wonder if there is a limit or if it counts against the cap? Also if it takes a bunch of the financial burden off the team I hope they keep the useless fucker on the IR for the next 3 years. Hahaha

WSS

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Well that will help offset the Haslam blunder. I wonder if there is a limit or if it counts against the cap? Also if it takes a bunch of the financial burden off the team I hope they keep the useless fucker on the IR for the next 3 years. Hahaha

WSS

Lol...well I get it. Watson is never going to be a beloved player here, or anywhere for that matter. We just hope he plays well (when available) and the Browns win. I honestly have no clue how workman's comp affects the cap, but I'm guessing it doesn't.....just legal mumble-jumble jargon. $230 million is still $230 million on the cap no matter who's paying.

Everything I've read is the Browns are stuck with that contract through 2026. The "guaranteed money" thing is the reason per the analysts. I'm not smart enough, or just too lazy to dig deeper into it, so I will believe the so-called gurus. 

Damnit. Yesterday was another "oh no" chapter that we've all become too familiar with. 

Beat Jacksonville please!!!!!!

38 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Lol...well I get it. Watson is never going to be a beloved player here, or anywhere for that matter. We just hope he plays well (when available) and the Browns win. I honestly have no clue how workman's comp affects the cap, but I'm guessing it doesn't.....just legal mumble-jumble jargon. $230 million is still $230 million on the cap no matter who's paying.

Everything I've read is the Browns are stuck with that contract through 2026. The "guaranteed money" thing is the reason per the analysts. I'm not smart enough, or just too lazy to dig deeper into it, so I will believe the so-called gurus. 

Damnit. Yesterday was another "oh no" chapter that we've all become too familiar with. 

Beat Jacksonville please!!!!!!

Beloved has nothing to do with it. There are some guys on this board who are 100% in his corner. And some who don't like him regardless of his contribution to the team success one way or the other.

He's not Bernie Kosar and he's not Michael Vick. So far he's a Lamborghini up on blocks in some Hillbillies front yard.

😀

WSS

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Beloved has nothing to do with it. There are some guys on this board who are 100% in his corner. And some who don't like him regardless of his contribution to the team success one way or the other.

He's not Bernie Kosar and he's not Michael Vick. So far he's a Lamborghini up on blocks in some Hillbillies front yard.

😀

WSS

More like the broken down DeLorean that just sits in someones yard in Mentor.. I see it all the time when riding Laketran..

• Upvote 1

NFL players can receive workers comp, it varies by the state the team is in though.

Workers comp replaces lost wages though, which Watson doesn’t have given he is fully guaranteed and not losing paychecks.

It also covers medical bills, but I’m sure the browns foot the bill for everything too - plus they have their in-house rehab and doctors.

But since Watson isn’t losing wages he’s not eligible to receive workers comp. Outside of the medical bills, which I’m sure is covered anyway by the browns.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FY56 said:

Watson is the Porche 911 Turbo that Myles wrecked. 

He is totaled too, except we are trying to restore him. Like badly wrecked cars, once patched up they are never the same.

Watson is a wreck physically and emotionally.

Jimmy should have known, that Pennsylvania Title should have been a salvage title in the first place.

(Yes I know but anybody that's ever bought a used cars in Northeast Ohio realizes if you want to get a clean looking title for a car that has been wrecked or in a flood you go to Pennsylvania)

WSS

7 hours ago, FY56 said:

Watson is the Porche 911 Turbo that Myles wrecked. 

He is totaled too, except we are trying to restore him. Like badly wrecked cars, once patched up they are never the same.

Watson is a wreck physically and emotionally.

He looked perfectly fine hiding behind the Rock star shades and his GF..

23 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

anybody notice the scowl on his wife's face?

Thanks.  Now I know that he's married.

Going back a few years, my Dr.'s secretary told me when I called, If this is a workman's comp situation you will have to go to a different Dr.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Orion said:

Thanks.  Now I know that he's married.

Going back a few years, my Dr.'s secretary told me when I called, If this is a workman's comp situation you will have to go to a different Dr.

I've only ever worked a real job maybe four or five months out of my entire life but I did get hurt at work and the company sent me to their own doctor. Haha

WSS

15 hours ago, nickers said:

He looked perfectly fine hiding behind the Rock star shades and his GF..

Why wasn’t he on the sidelines? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, syd said:

he just had surgery. I wouldn't take a chance of some knucklehead running into  him . you sure don't see Chubb down there either

Burrow was on the sidelines

IMG_0430.jpeg

On 12/4/2023 at 7:54 AM, Westside Steve said:

Settle a dispute:

Is Watson or any PUP player a recipient of worker's comp? Or do the Browns eat the salary?

WSS 

(Ps anybody notice the scowl on his wife's face? No wonder he spent so much time in the massage parlor)

WSS

Steve,  there might be other things that  might  enter into the considerations  in each case like signing bonuses,  workout bonuses in fact other bonuses and contract languages  especially in these  "big buck"  deals.

Still an interesting question for a lawyer or law school type to dig into.

~           Just a little reading on workmans comp for NFL players,  yes they can be covered. "but" .....  read on ......

Following the traumatic injury of Buffalo Bills Safety Damar Hamlin (#3) on Monday Night Football, questions regarding pro athletes’ eligibility for workers’ compensation became a topic of discussion.  

●  To clarify, NFL players and most professional athletes are eligible for workers’ compensation. However, since workers’ compensation is a state-administered system, varying rules and protocols must be applied, including where the player plays, is injured, or permanently resides. 

Workers’ compensation claims are not uncommon in the NFL, as the likes of Michael Irvin (Dallas Cowboys) and Clyde Simmons (Philadelphia Eagles) are two prominent names on the receiving end of such benefits. According to the NFL Physicians Society, common orthopedic injuries in the NFL consist of those to the knee (i.e., MCL, ACL), foot, ankle, shoulder, back and neck. Other frequent injuries include concussions (187 in 2021), injuries to the chest, broken ribs, splenic lacerations, and kidney-related injuries. As football is a highly intensive contact sport, injuries are expected. Nonetheless, the long-term toll of these injuries were and continue to be greatly downplayed.  

survey of retired NFL players found that nearly nine in ten suffer from chronic aches and pains on a daily basis. A 2021 joint study by UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke, and Ohio University featured in the Journal for Sports Rehabilitation analyzing 3,647 former NFL players found that 90 percent suffered at least one musculoskeletal injury in their career. Just under 75 percent of respondents say they are still affected by injuries from their NFL tenure. In a league of 32 teams, organizations such as the Chicago Bears have reported 458 worker’s compensation claims since 2000, with total settlement payouts at approximately 12.8 million, as of 2018 data.  

While most players will be able to have their injuries treated by their respective team’s medical staff, several injuries can go undetected or unrecognized even after a player hangs up their cleats. NFL personnel continue to receive criticism regarding the organization's handling of concussions, a condition well-linked to developing chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). The condition can cause dementia and worsen one’s overall cognitive state with age. A high number of player deaths were attributed to the disease, including former Patriots Linebacker Junior Seau at age 43 and former Broncos Wideout Demaryius Thomas at age 33. Findings at Boston University’s CTE Center evaluating the brains of 202 football players at varying levels of the game found that 87 percent displayed CTE-related markers.  

Despite well-documented evidence of high-risk injury involved with being a professional athlete, states can, at times, be..... continued read on ●-->

8 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Steve,  there might be other things that  might  enter into the considerations  in each case like signing bonuses,  workout bonuses in fact other bonuses and contract languages  especially in these  "big buck"  deals.

Still an interesting question for a lawyer or law school type to dig into.

Might?

No kidding.

😄

After all the guessing I'm going to assume that since his contract is guaranteed one way or the other he loses no money and wc doesn't kick in.

WSS