THE BROWNS BOARD

The Holdovers Review

The Holdovers

Focus

R. 133 min

I'm going to ask you to trust me on this one gang. The short summary of the plot of THE HOLDOVERS is just about guaranteed to make movie fans roll their eyes at the shopworn premise. “A troubled and unpopular student and teacher are stuck together during the holiday break and form a bond and mutual respect.” I hear you; sounds like it came straight from Hallmark's big file cabinet of clichés, right? But before you dismiss it out of hand let me give you this music magazine analogy. There are thousands of songs that feature a C F and G progression but only a few that are outstanding. Among a small handful of November releases that held at least a modicum of interest THE HOLDOVERS got the nod because of one of America's least likely movie stars, Paul Giamatti. Short, pudgy, balding with a crooked eye but whose mastery of speech, facial expressions and mannerisms are unsurpassed in the business. He’s Paul Hunham, a strict, humorless and unpopular professor of ancient history at a mediocre boys prep school, not a very lofty career for someone who attended Harvard. There is a handful of students who, for one reason or another, aren't going back home for the Christmas break and one faculty member will be stuck with the job of staying to mind them. With no real friend’s family or plans Professor Hunham draws the short straw. After a few days one of the snottiest members of the little band of misfits wrangles a helicopter from his wealthy father to take the kids on a tropical vacation. Unfortunately, one member of the group, Angus Tully's (Dominic Sessa) parents are unreachable therefore unable to give permission to go on the trip. That means he and the professor are stuck together for a couple of weeks. I know it sounds cookie cutter but thanks to good acting, clever writing and direction, none of the situations, nor the ending, take the easy way out. That leaves the whole story with a bittersweet glow; not too bitter, not too sweet. By the way there's another nice subplot concerning Mary Lamb (Da’Vine Joy Randolph) the cafeteria lady. That's all I'm going to tell you but the good news is, even with a somewhat limited release, THE HOLDOVERS is apparently selling some tickets according to a couple folks, Craig and Kathy I spoke to at the theater who had come the day before and it was sold out. Also, the ticket guy at the Cinemark Bistro told me it's now on his go-to Christmas movie roster. I agree.

A

WSS