THE BROWNS BOARD

Tale of the Tape - Browns @ Texans

Orion

2 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

We are very low on the waiver order, so stand little chance to land him. And if we are going to splash out on an addition before the play-offs, I would prefer strengthening the O-line at this stage.

You and me both... 

1 hour ago, syd said:

i believe that a player with that many vested years in the league can turn down, Lets say a team like the panthers. Someone may know the rule. I may be way off.

I did check, post trade deadline, a vested player (like Joseph-day) does go through the waiver process. It's not clear if said player can refuse to accept the team he's picked up by...  But I suspect he could tell a team like the Panthers pound salt, I'm not going to play for you. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

We are very low on the waiver order, so stand little chance to land him. And if we are going to splash out on an addition before the play-offs, I would prefer strengthening the O-line at this stage.

I agree with this.. we need more help on O line than Dline... Were good enough on D to make a serious run...

• Thanks 1

Interesting Texans didn't name Keenum as the starter. Not sure if it's a deception game or what, but Keenum is NOT a great match up against Browns. Now, I do expect it to be him over Mills, but they're in a rough spot, something we're accustomed to. They will do EVERYTHING they can to pass the ball quickly and make it an extension of the run game. Case is accurate and smart, but if you get them in 3rd and long, it's going to be a punt often. 

Brownies have been somewhat susceptible to quick passing attack. We had a streak of a few games without a sack, and Rams and Jags had success getting it out quickly and each team lead the league in time of delivery in their respective weeks. This is obviously the strategy teams use against us, but if we continue to tackle well, it shouldn't matter. It's time for JOK to make a game-breaking, trademark play. Forced fumble, scoop and score, sack fumble, whatever. JOK has been SO good...it's time for the HUGE play. 

Our defense has not been the same on the road, that's no secret. We've had a terrible habit of getting behind and not forcing hardly ANY FG's. We're basically last in the league at points off turnovers, in large part due to the offense turning it over WAY too much, but also because we don't force FG's. That has to stop. Myles has been sack less for several weeks, watch for him to have 2-3. 

On offense, I'm especially interested to see how we manufacture ground yards. We are going to get Flacco killed if we pass it 50 times every week, not only that, he's GOING to throw interceptions, so the more attempts he has, the more picks. It is what it is. We cannot run the ball, we all know it. So how do we get ground yards?

Expect to see more DTR. That 4th down call by Kevin asking DTR to throw it was so risky. We also got an illegal block/hold on the outside that should have been called, AND the throw was behind, but we got the yard and it was glorious. What a ballsy call. We'll see more DTR and what else? 

Remember at the beginning of the year when we kept trying to use Moore in different ways from backfield and it was a disaster? Well, I'd bring it back. We HAVE to get ground yards, and I don't care if it's 2-3 a pop. What we can't do is go backwards like we did twice last week. In the first quarter, we had 1st and 5 and 2nd and 2. Both times we punted. 

Texans are near last last in the league defending TEs but are close to best in defending the run. Ground yards will be tough, so expect Goodwin to get at least 1 end around, Njoku to go bananas everywhere, and a huge game from...Harrison Bryant. They'll be so focused on Njoku, Bryant will be open. I'm putting down money on him getting a TD, and I fully expect Goodwin to get multiple shots as well. Goodwin might be worth a random $20 bet because it's indoors, he's healthy, and Joe throws about the best deep ball I can ever remember in a Browns uniform. 

Lots to read, but also left a lot for others if you want to dive in with me. Can we finally play a clean game? Can we catch the pick-6? Can we hit Goodwin when he's open and give Flacco enough time against a stout front? Texans do not blitz, play similar to us, and are very physical. Should be fun, boys. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

They'll be so focused on Njoku, Bryant will be open.

Akins! Bryant is our run blocking TE2, and yes, that means he will also be there for play action. Akins is a far better receiver however, and I would be surprised if Stef and Van P didn't line up some plays where he can get the ball.

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

Interesting Texans didn't name Keenum as the starter. Not sure if it's a deception game or what, but Keenum is NOT a great match up against Browns. Now, I do expect it to be him over Mills, but they're in a rough spot, something we're accustomed to. They will do EVERYTHING they can to pass the ball quickly and make it an extension of the run game. Case is accurate and smart, but if you get them in 3rd and long, it's going to be a punt often. ..... I like to read the jiggs writing once he gets going ! 

......Lots to read, but also left a lot for others if you want to dive in with me. Can we finally play a clean game? Can we catch the pick-6? Can we hit Goodwin when he's open and give Flacco enough time against a stout front? Texans do not blitz, play similar to us, and are very physical. Should be fun, boys. 

And to take a few minutes to wish jiggs a   Merry Christmas   Monday  on our  BROWNS  next big 2023 march to the playoffs.   

While the wife and I  are listening to a  Tony Bennett's   "The Classic Christmas Album"   my favorite of his.   It really puts you in the Christmas mood.

SO,  Mr jiggs  have a Merry Christmas  🎄  and a Happy  2024  New Year !    Onward and upward for our  2024  Cleveland BROWNS !

▪︎--◇--▪︎      ▪︎~~~~~~~~~▪︎.   ▪︎--◇--▪︎.   

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

We cannot run the ball, we all know it. So how do we get ground yards?

...the dreaded 'trick' plays.  Until a direct snap or lateral gets fumbled.  

We have to try to run the ball.  But to do it with any success you've gotta get guys blocked.  

I would love to see Moore used as a Wes Welker....where he finds open areas underneath the other pass routes.  Quick things, 4 - 7 yards.  It augments the lack of a running game.  

4 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Akins! Bryant is our run blocking TE2, and yes, that means he will also be there for play action. Akins is a far better receiver however, and I would be surprised if Stef and Van P didn't line up some plays where he can get the ball.

Almost said Aikens but Bryant has been sneaky. Had a nice 30 yarder called back a few weeks ago. But hey, I'm totally happy to see Aikens get it! 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Orion said:

would love to see Moore used as a Wes Welker....where he finds open areas underneath the other pass routes.  Quick things, 4 - 7 yards.  It augments the lack of a running game. 

This is actually a fair point. Our YAC ha exploded with Flacco, and everyone seems to be getting theirs, EXCEPT Moore. Why can't we get him crossing? Nothing working underneath? It's weird, it's like he's an afterthought. I think his small size has something to do with it. Flacco clearly prefers larger receivers and Moore doesn't seem able to shake people or break a tackle. Still think he could be something, but definitely have to get him opportunities. 

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

And to take a few minutes to wish jiggs a   Merry Christmas   Monday  on our  BROWNS  next big 2023 march to the playoffs.   

Thank you so much! Merry Christmas you guys. Daddy wants a trip to the playoffs! 

On 12/19/2023 at 9:30 PM, Orion said:

image.png.a8b0ad1da151dd988a22555b22af4bb6.png

This is another week of facing a defense that can stop the run.  And with our OL in such a shambles, the offense will probably struggle again.  The Texans appear vulnerable to the pass but our pass offense is still trying to get in sync with one another.  And on the other side of the coin you've got the #2 pass offense against the #1 pass defense.  So, it's up to the defense again.  Can they force the Texans to punt enough for our offense to muster up some points? 

This was not one of my Must Win games (the Bears game was though).  But realistically, if we want to make the playoffs, we've got to win this game.   If we lose, we fall behind the Texans in the Wild Card rankings (tiebreaker).  We'd probably be tied with the Bills, Bengals and Colts too.  Of our 3 remaining games, this is probably the most important one to win.

SO far at least lately and at home the  BROWNS  have it going and especially in the turnover ratio here.  Keep it going with  Mr Flacco !  Hey it almost rhymes ......  almost.   Play good  "D"  + win the  t/o battle  +  win the kicking game (a  BROWNS strong point now)  +  call a good game  = a WIN !

So, What Happened?

Well, the two run defenses did their jobs which forced the pass defenses to the forefront.  

The Texans #2 pass offense was missing their starting QB and the Browns #1 pass defense held strong.

The Browns pass offense with Flacco, Cooper & Njoku leading the way took center stage and kept the spotlight on themselves.   The Texans 26th ranked pass defense took injury hits as the game was unfolding and the yards just started to pile up.  

Game balls to Flacco & Cooper....if for nothing else, for erasing Josh Gordon from the Browns record book!  Amari Cooper exemplifies a Browns football great, whereas Gordon did not.  Thank you Cooooooop!