THE BROWNS BOARD

Dalvin Cook released by Jets

MDDawg

10 hours ago, Flugel said:

In one of our last game day threads @jiggins7919 made a good point along the line of how Cleveland's ball-carriers/Receivers were holding the ball away from their body just inviting fumbles.

Thanks, Flugel! On the bright side, it's a tough lesson to learn in the best of circumstances. Miraculously the fumbles didn't hurt us, and this allows us to learn from mistakes without the painful consequences. What REALLY hurt is that the Jets knew we had to run to waste clock and by fumbling multiple times it kind of hamstrung our coach with calling plays. 

Now, it worked OUT but what you'd love to see is the Browns' offense able to sustain a bit longer drives, even if we don't score, but getting just a couple first downs on the field. We blocked a FG and our defense made enough plays against an inept Jets' offense that we were never really threatened, but come playoff time, we'll need to run it with the confidence our backs won't fumble, ESPECIALLY if we get a lead into the second half. 

Let's hope we learned a valuable ball security lesson and we take that lesson into our wildcard playoff game. Man, how good does THAT sound? We literally don't have to worry this week and we can actually rest key players for the first time since a week 5 bye. Let's freaking go. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

Ratbirds scooped him up

See below.

1 hour ago, bbedward said:

Kinda expected I guess, not worried about cook on the ravens at all.

Take a look at the Ravens RB depth chart...  FWIW, they're 26th in rushing yardage (2555).  And of that total, 821 of that belongs to Lamar Jackson. With Dobbins out for the year, they're hurting at RB.  Oh, you want a crazy stat?  Jackson has more rushing yards than our Jerome Ford. LJ has been remarkably adept at avoiding a kill shot to his knees, but unless he's damn lucky, it's coming- eventually- running like that. 

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

LJ has been remarkably adept at avoiding a kill shot to his knees, but unless he's damn lucky, it's coming- eventually- running like that. 

Correct, I don’t know when…but it’s coming.

13 hours ago, hoorta said:

See below.

Take a look at the Ravens RB depth chart...  FWIW, they're 26th in rushing yardage (2555).  And of that total, 821 of that belongs to Lamar Jackson. With Dobbins out for the year, they're hurting at RB.  Oh, you want a crazy stat?  Jackson has more rushing yards than our Jerome Ford. LJ has been remarkably adept at avoiding a kill shot to his knees, but unless he's damn lucky, it's coming- eventually- running like that. 

Yeah, it's crazy but folks have been saying that since he came into the league. I'm not 100% sure on this, but the prior 2 seasons he was basically hurt on bull-rush QB pressure. His ability in the open field is crazy good....like trying to catch a waterbug in a pond. 

I dislike the Ratbirds the most, but I reluctantly am going to give credit where it's due- Lamar is the best dual-threat QB the NFL has ever seen. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Yeah, it's crazy but folks have been saying that since he came into the league. I'm not 100% sure on this, but the prior 2 seasons he was basically hurt on bull-rush QB pressure. His ability in the open field is crazy good....like trying to catch a waterbug in a pond. 

I dislike the Ratbirds the most, but I reluctantly am going to give credit where it's due- Lamar is the best dual-threat QB the NFL has ever seen. 

There's a risk in running the ball as a QB, but there's a risk of being a pocket QB too. Ask Joe Theismann who suffered the most famous QB injury ever - in the protective nest that was the Hog's Redskin passing pocket. Ask our own statue of a pocket passer - Bernie Kosar - whose career was pretty much over by the age of 30. 

My problem with Lamar was I had doubts he could stay in the pocket, read defenses and make the proper throw on a consistent basis. I felt the Ravens passing game was a fluky, gimmicky one that was successful because it ran off a great running game. Well now, with a new OC, he's starting to look good throwing in a more conventional passing scheme. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

There's a risk in running the ball as a QB, but there's a risk of being a pocket QB too. Ask Joe Theismann who suffered the most famous QB injury ever - in the protective nest that was the Hog's Redskin passing pocket. Ask our own statue of a pocket passer - Bernie Kosar - whose career was pretty much over by the age of 30. 

My problem with Lamar was I had doubts he could stay in the pocket, read defenses and make the proper throw on a consistent basis. I felt the Ravens passing game was a fluky, gimmicky one that was successful because it ran off a great running game. Well now, with a new OC, he's starting to look good throwing in a more conventional passing scheme. 

Our own pocket passer Joey Flacco tore his ACL before, as well as had a herniated disc in his neck - could say he wasn’t the same player after injuries, but with the Browns he’s back to playing like pre-injury Flacco.

I do think running QBs naturally have a higher injury risk, though - obviously. Lamar himself usually misses time annually, just hasn’t this year like the rest of the AFCN QBs. 

47 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Ask Joe Theismann who suffered the most famous QB injury ever

as story has it, Kilmer and Stabler were having some beers watching the game. And laughed like all get out when he got hurt

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

The thing about Lamar is when he came out of Louisville, the knock on him was he was a great running back who incindentally called himself a passer. He was flat out lousy regarding the latter his first few years in the league. He's since- IMHO- improved as a quarterback by orders of magnitude over the years. 

Regarding his running ability LJ is only 851 yards short of passing Michael Vick as the top running QB ever.  (sort of surprised that Russell Wilson could pass Vick also) 

9 hours ago, Bob806 said:

I go way back, and the only comparison scrambling ability Lamar has is Fran Tarkenton. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, hoorta said:

See below.

I'm sure Minkah Fitzpatrick will hook him up.

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

I go way back, and the only comparison scrambling ability Lamar has is Fran Tarkenton. 

I saw him play as well. Always rooted for the Vikings in those Super Bowls. 

Steve Young, Vick, Randall Cunningham- those guys were great as well.