THE BROWNS BOARD

Tale of the Tape - Browns @ Bengals

Orion

image.png.4375a03c93f5cbc656e91cae5c9f03d5.png

Since the Rams loss I've wanted the Browns to go on the 4 game winning streak so that this week's game didn't have to be won.  Hoo-Ray for the Browns for getting themselves here.

So, this is the numbers.  Of course, they don't mean much this week as the guys that earned these numbers for the Browns are going to be held out of the game.

We've dropped from #1 against the pass to #2 because of one yard.  :)  

The Bengals are the worst running team in the league.  And they're not good on defense...except in turnover differential.  Apparently, they let ya get all the way down the field and then take the ball away from ya.  

Lets see if we can get the backups up to speed in this game and be ready for the first round matchup against the AFC South winner.  At least playing conditions shouldn't be such that the ball slides through frozen hands.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Orion said:

The Bengals are the worst running team in the league.  And they're not good on defense...except in turnover differential.  Apparently, they let ya get all the way down the field and then take the ball away from ya.  

Lets see if we can get the backups up to speed in this game and be ready for the first round matchup against the AFC South winner.  At least playing conditions shouldn't be such that the ball slides through frozen hands.   

Bengals website... "Try to win this game by any means necessary"...  Great- play all your starters just to say you had a winning record in an otherwise meaningless game?  And in the process maybe follow the Dolphins cue (Bradley Chubb) and lose Chase Young (or someone similar) to a blown ACL... I'm sorry to report- (from a Browns perspective) winning that game isn't going to screw up the Bengals 2024 draft position much... They're right there sitting just above the teams that are going to be in the playoffs. 

FWIW, the long range Cinci forecast is 1-3 inches of snow Saturday night, with a high around 40 and occasional snow showers during the game...   

35 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Bengals website... "Try to win this game by any means necessary"...  Great- play all your starters just to say you had a winning record in an otherwise meaningless game?  And in the process maybe follow the Dolphins cue (Bradley Chubb) and lose Chase Young (or someone similar) to a blown ACL... I'm sorry to report- (from a Browns perspective) winning that game isn't going to screw up the Bengals 2024 draft position much... They're right there sitting just above the teams that are going to be in the playoffs. 

FWIW, the long range Cinci forecast is 1-3 inches of snow Saturday night, with a high around 40 and occasional snow showers during the game...   

Zac Taylor is pretty dumb, so it wouldn’t surprise me if he throws his top guys to the wolves.

And in some encouraging Browns news (depends on your POV) they released our Haack punter off of the practice squad today- we hardly knew ye...  Must mean they're confident Cory is good to go on Sunday.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bbedward said:

Jeff Driskel to start sunday,

I'm glad that no team is depending on us to beat Cincy to get them into the playoffs.  :) 

Browns add former Pro Bowl guard Rodger Saffold to the practice squad

Browns add former Pro Bowl guard Rodger Saffold to the practice squad (usatoday.com)

The Cleveland Browns, as they get set to rest their starters against the Cincinnati Bengals in Week 18, have added former Pro Bowl guard Rodger Saffold to their practice squad.

Saffold, in his 14th season in the NFL, is a two-time Pro Bowler (Tennessee Titans, 2021; Buffalo Bills, 2022). In his career, Saffold has started a total of 176 games for the Titans, Bills and St. Louis/Los Angeles Rams. He was a second round pick in the 2010 NFL draft out of Indiana University.

Having clinched their spot as the top wild-card team in the AFC, the Browns are expected to give key players a week off after a grueling schedule. They were cursed with a Week 5 bye week this season, leading to a great deal of injuries.

Among those players are guards Joel Bitonio and Wyatt Teller, who have both routinely found themselves on injury reports throughout the season. Saffold could find his way into the starting lineup this weekend.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, bbedward said:

Jeff Driskel to start sunday, guess is a clear message that they don’t wanna see PJ on the field ever again (rightfully so)

Record 5th QB to start for Browns in one season. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Orion said:

I'm glad that no team is depending on us to beat Cincy to get them into the playoffs.  :) 

Remember 2007 when we needed the Colts to win for us to get in the playoffs?

So, yep, I wish the Colts in 2023 needed us to win Sunday. 🤣

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I mentioned that to Mrs. Wife a couple of hours ago.  I told her that they started a guy named Painter.  :) 

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

So, yep, I wish the Colts in 2023 needed us to win Sunday. 🤣

Remember it fondly.  I bought a 5 dollar Colts shirt at Gabriel’s one sleeve longer than the other.  I felt filthy.  

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, syd said:

"May the Schwartz be with us."   Sure, who wouldn't want to be an NFL head coach Jim, along with a big pay raise?  But sheeze Louise, based on your track record (Bills, Eagles) and now with the Browns, you could go down in NFL history as one of the greatest defensive coordinators of all time right along with Dick LeBeau. Who incidentally stunk as a head coach- just like your gig with the Lions turned out.    🙄                                                                                                                                     

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

"May the Schwartz be with us."   Sure, who wouldn't want to be an NFL head coach Jim, along with a big pay raise?  But sheeze Louise, based on your track record (Bills, Eagles) and now with the Browns, you could go down in NFL history as one of the greatest defensive coordinators of all time right along with Dick LeBeau. Who incidentally stunk as a head coach- just like your gig with the Lions turned out.    🙄                                                                                                                                     

I think he could be a good HC again, probably has learned a lot since.

Though not sure if he’ll get a shot still, teams still like the offensive gurus. Like Bienemy, who is a hot name - an OC on a garbage team.

6 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

The weather down Cincy way is looking slushy and cool for the game, and with the Bengals out of it and Browns locked in, ticket prices are dropping like a rock. I’m seeing as low as $27 right now. 

My kid talked me in to going. Should be fun!

Yeah, I though about going too... But besides the ticket, not worth the $15 bucks in gas and probably $30 to park to watch an exhibition game in crummy weather.  🙄

40 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Yeah, I though about going too... But besides the ticket, not worth the $15 bucks in gas and probably $30 to park to watch an exhibition game in crummy weather.  🙄

You ninny! Just kidding…

I don’t go to many games but l’d like to catch one this year since it’s been such a damn fun year and l wanna cheer the fellas on. My suspicion is it’ll be like FirstEnergy south down here, so l’ll do my part to show my appreciation. 

Plus when my young adult kid wants to do anything with me l usually go for it. Gotta make those memories man. 

I’m kinda stoked about the weather too! Looking for Pierre Strong to go hog wild like Lee Suggs did one game l caught years ago in Cincy. 

10 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

You ninny! Just kidding…

I don’t go to many games but l’d like to catch one this year since it’s been such a damn fun year and l wanna cheer the fellas on. My suspicion is it’ll be like FirstEnergy south down here, so l’ll do my part to show my appreciation. 

Plus when my young adult kid wants to do anything with me l usually go for it. Gotta make those memories man. 

I’m kinda stoked about the weather too! Looking for Pierre Strong to go hog wild like Lee Suggs did one game l caught years ago in Cincy. 

I can’t imagine there’ll be many bungle fans in the house. A few die hards that wanna see a game while tickets are cheap maybe (I did that once for a December game and heavily regretted my decision immediately), their offensive weapons last game together before they drop some in free agency maybe - though Tee isn’t playing I think.

Though I can’t imagine there’ll be many browns fans either, I sure wouldn’t wanna watch a meaningless game in that weather with Jeff Driskel leading the charge.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

when my young adult kid wants to do anything with me l usually go for it. Gotta make those memories man.

Absolutely.  Mine was when Josh Gordon lit the Patriots up for over 200 yards.....only to have our special teams coach blow the game with a ridicules onside kick recovery alignment.  :(   

• Upvote 1

Just now, Orion said:

Absolutely.  Mine was when Josh Gordon lit the Patriots up for over 200 yards.....only to have our special teams coach blow the game with a ridicules onside kick recovery alignment.  :(   

mine was when my kids were young, LOL cursing my father for being a Browns fan.

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, syd said:

mine was when my kids were young, LOL cursing my father for being a Browns fan.

I hear that. It took my kid until early adulthood to actually be her own Browns fan. I’m pretty sure throughout most of her childhood she associated Browns football games with her dad being in a pissy mood on Sundays and wanted nothing to do with it, haha.   

• Like 1