THE BROWNS BOARD

Maestro Revoew

Maestro

Netflix

R.         129 min

I’ll be honest most (but not al) of my knowledge of classical music comes from my friend Dennis Lewin’s show on AM 1420. Still, I am old enough to remember there was a controversy between some classical artists and the pop music world when I was a very young fan of The Beatles that even then I realized Leonard Bernstein was legendary in the classical field and we took pride in the fact that he said good things about the Fab Four.

This film is by no means the typical biopic, as they usually set her on a handful of facets that everyone already knows and cobble them into a story. I’m not sure anyone knew much of this accept the participants and their families until the New York Times got hold of a lotl of Bernstein ‘s correspondence. This is more an inside look at the trials and tribulations of a musical genius and the bittersweet romance with wife actress Felicia Montealegro (Carey Mulligan). They had known each other before but didn't marry until after the death of her husband actor Richard Hart and against the wishes of Bernstein ‘s family. The marriage itself wasn’t one based on passion but more a mutual respect and affection. As we’ve come to learn from some of that correspondence, The legendary conductor was frequently unfaithful with women and men, Along with his obsessions  paranoia and neuroses.

I have a new found respect for Bradley Cooper who starred, directed and helped write the script add especially because of his betrayal which is, in my opinion, his best work to date as an actor. Every aspect of the film is brilliantly accomplished from the stunning mid 20th century cinematography, acting New York insider elite small talk as a constant audio bed. What it is not, however is 2 hours of entertainment or heartwarming ideals. It’s hard to watch. I Did little research and listened to some of Bernstein’s symphonic work and I relate this film to his second Symphony AKA the age of anxiety. Brilliantly written and challenging to a fault but to the untrained ear, which includes my own, almost an unpleasant cacophony. Oftentimes brilliant musicians are no longer able to be challenged by simple popular music which becomes the soundtrack of the average person.

Again Bradley Cooper is wonderful as an actor and director and not to give him short shrift, but it would be hard to screw up under the watchful eye of fellow producers Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese. This is a great film, just don’t expect to be entertained or walk out singing a happy melody.

A

WSS