THE BROWNS BOARD

Leave the Earth Behind reviee

Leave The Earth Behind

Netflix

R.          141 min

We’ve talked about this before; It’s the time of year that studios like to get their films out before the deadline for Academy Award nominations. Studios including Apple Amazon and Netflix have the opportunity to release in one or two brick and mortar theaters as well as online. One that has received at least a hint of Oscar participation is Netflix LEAVE THE WORLD BEHIND an end of the world science fiction piece starring award winners/nominees Mahershala Ali, Julia Roberts and Ethan Hawke. There’s even a small part for Kevin Bacon.

The premise Is reasonably simple and  focuses on a couple of social ills that will permeate the story. Amanda and Clay are planning a family retreat because, among other reasons, Amanda is just sick and tired of being around people. (Technology and social media have made us less and less, well, social; I get it.)

While making preparations for the getaway we noticed that things are starting to go wrong back in the city, one of which is a series of unexpected blackout and other strange occurrences. Some of these include unexplained loud noises, animals acting in peculiar ways and God forbid, the loss of Internet connection. That’s warning number 2; we are way too reliant on technology. Soon after checking into the rental Clay and Amanda are surprised by a visit from an elegant black man and his sassy daughter who claim that the house is theirs and they were forced to return from the city . Just for the record he’s hiding something. uh

I only mention race because it seems director / writer Ismail wants to make a secondary and unnecessary point later in the film. But iStill the revelation that technology is bad and people are less and less connected with each other Could probably be made about every generation since Humans were building the pyramids. I thought it started off creepy and ominous and A study rise to frenzy but the admittedly slow pace ground to a halt as it stumbled under its own weight. I’m not surprised that Denzel Washington bailed on the project but I am surprised that the Obamas, among the executive producers, didn’t know somebody among the Hollywood elite who could have added a little bit of Spark to this sociological sermon.

D

WSS