THE BROWNS BOARD

Barbie Review

Barbie

Warner brothers

PG 13. 111 min

I really didn’t have much interest and seeing this one because I thought it was probably geared toward 12 year old girls and no more serious than a Super Mario film. As time went on it climbed up the charts to being one of the biggest grossing films of all time. As usual I didn’t read any reviews, preferring to do that after I’ve made-up my mind, but I did see some blurbs from political writers, left and right. Oddly enough no one commented on whether the film was any good just that it was extremely woke with a message either for good or bad, depending on the writer. That message seems to be twofold; first that men are bad and women are good and 2nd that human nature is guided bye a plastic doll. Someone here seems to believe that humans and women are attracted to people who look like Barbie (Margot Robbie) and Ken (Ryan Gosling) because Mattel sold a lot of toys. Personally I think that’s ridiculous and the body style of the toys was determined by what most normal humans find to be attractive. Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder but there's a reason that movie stars news anchors swimsuit models and entertainers are attractive and that includes both men and women. Think about it do you think that if Playboy magazines centerfolds all looked like Lizzo she would be the American ideal of the perfect woman? Or do you think Playboy would just not sell anymore issues? Anyway that's what the movie is, a heavy-handed and shrill attack on what they consider to be patriarchy, a word that’s repeated over and over. I’ll let the political pundits deal with that. I’ve promised you that I won’t give a bad movie a good grade because I agree with the message or vice versa, but propaganda aside this is not a good movie though there are certainly some clever aspects involved, though they’re wasted. For instance the opening scene, a parody of Stanley Kubrick’s 2001 will probably be lost on the uninitiated. The sets and the look of Barbie world including her car house etcetera are pretty cool but again, like most special effects, it all becomes commonplace as the film rolls along. Because of some rift in the space slash time continuum Barbie finds herself in the real world of Los Angeles. While she’s away all the Kens turn feral and make Barbie world Into a man cave. When the executives at Mattel find out she’s escaped It turns into a stupid action film as they try to capture her and put her back in her box. Fortunately in the end she sees the light and the world is saved and the message is loud and clear. Men suck and women should rule the world as long as they are women of color and not very attractive. Meet the new boss; Same as the old boss. If the jokes had been funny, the action scenes exciting and the story complex and intriguing I’d have given BARBIE a better grade. But they weren’t and I didn’t.

By the way if anyone thinks this is an important blow against the power structure and the people at Mattel who make plastic dolls in order to rule the world, keep in mind that they are raking in the prophets like never hi buddy hi little cat I love my little before.

I actually checked the thesaurus to see if misogyny had a counterpart that dealt with men. Apparently not. But it should and this would be it.

D

WSs

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2024 at 12:37 AM, JPPT1974 said:

Not really was, am, and may not ever be a Barbie fan and sorry for fans that do. OK movie as a little silly. But that is what it is all about with Barbie. Margot Robbie however robbed of an Oscar nod!

I didn't see an Oscar worthy performance in the whole film.

WSS 

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

I didn't see an Oscar worthy performance in the whole film.

WSS 

He must be Woody's people...

• 1 month later...

Steve got out of this film exactly what I would have expected. 

Barbie is a very good movie. But if you feel it doesn't align with your politics, or you determine the movie is attacking your ideology when it isn't, then I imagine you won't like it. 

• Haha 1

On 3/24/2024 at 6:04 PM, MLD Woody said:

Steve got out of this film exactly what I would have expected. 

Barbie is a very good movie. But if you feel it doesn't align with your politics, or you determine the movie is attacking your ideology when it isn't, then I imagine you won't like it. 

Glad you enjoyed it woody. I didn't think it was funny or clever. And it has nothing to do with the politics I can laugh at some pretty hardcore left wing shit. But if humor along the lines of repeating Beach off at infinitum struck your funny bone who am I to argue.

Also if you think the role of Ken was worthy of an Oscar nomination I guess we differ on that as well.

WSS

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Glad you enjoyed it woody. I didn't think it was funny or clever. And it has nothing to do with the politics I can laugh at some pretty hardcore left wing shit. But if humor along the lines of repeating Beach off at infinitum struck your funny bone who am I to argue.

Also if you think the role of Ken was worthy of an Oscar nomination I guess we differ on that as well.

WSS

I don't give a shit about the Oscars and don't have anywhere near enough frame of reference to tell you. 

And I think you missed the message of the film, but that is going to turn this thread into some poli board nonsense. 

51 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I don't give a shit about the Oscars and don't have anywhere near enough frame of reference to tell you. 

And I think you missed the message of the film, but that is going to turn this thread into some poli board nonsense. 

Happy to discuss it fairly with you right here. What did you think the takeaway was? And if you don't care about the Oscars or performances isn't that something a red flag?

WSS

On 3/26/2024 at 1:25 PM, MLD Woody said:

Hmmmm... 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1