THE BROWNS BOARD

▪︎  In the fourth coldest game in NFL history 69 people aided by fire department !

mjp28

▪︎->  This is the entire article.

The coldest game ever pla ys the 1967   "Ice Bowl"  in Green Bay,  This is the fourth coldest at  -9°  and  WC -28°.  Too cold ?

[ IMPORTANT ]  ▪︎->   The fourth coldest game in NFL history sees 69 people aided by fire department, ‘close to 50%’ for hypothermia symptoms
▪︎  By Ben Morse and Melissa Alonso, CNN.   ▪︎  1/17/2024 · 5:23 AM EST. ▪︎

▪︎->   Emergency services in Kansas City rendered aid to 69 people, many for “hypothermia symptoms,” during the Chiefs’ Super Wild Card playoff win over the Miami Dolphins on Saturday, a fire department chief told CNN.

Conditions at Arrowhead Stadium during the Chiefs’ 26-7 win were tough for players and coaches to deal with, as well as fans: the temperature at kickoff was -4 degrees Fahrenheit with a wind chill of -20 degrees, making it the fourth coldest game in National Football League history, CNN has reported.

▪︎->   At the end of the game, the temperature was -9 degrees and felt like -28 degrees, according to the Peacock broadcast.

And while players could be seen huddling by pitch-side heaters and many made the most of heated benches in a bid to keep out the cold, fans had to wrap up warm as they watched from the stands.

However, emergency services in the area were required to look after a number of people for whom the below-zero temperatures were too much.

The Kansas City Fire Department (KCFD) gave aid to 69 people – “close to 50% … were for hypothermia symptoms” – during the game, KCFD battalion chief Michael Hopkins told CNN.

Fifteen of the patients seen were transported by KCFD, “seven for hypothermia symptoms, three for frostbite symptoms, and five for various other reasons,” said Hopkins.

The Kansas City “metro area has been plunged into the deep freeze with below zero temperatures for much of the past weekend, including the Chiefs game,” said a University o

The medical system, which provides first aid at Arrowhead Stadium, has not yet released data on the patients treated during the game.

“At this time, we are awaiting approval from The Kansas City Chiefs to release the numbers of patients treated at the seven aid stations at the stadium, and the various types of conditions treated,” said the news release. 

▪︎->   “The Emergency Department at The University of Kansas Health System continues to see patients for weather-related problems,” according to the news release.

According to the hospital, since Tuesday, January 9 there have been 59 patients were treated due to the harsh conditions for “shortness of breath, exposure, heart attack from exertion, motor vehicle accidents, slipping and falling on ice.”

▪︎->   Eight of those patients were admitted to the hospital. In addition, there were also nine patients with frostbite admitted to the Burnett Burn Center, said the news release.

Saturday’s conditions are rivaled by the coldest NFL game on record: the December 1967 “Ice Bowl” in Wisconsin, when the Green Bay Packers beat the Dallas Cowboys amid -13 Fahrenheit air temperature and a -48 wind chill, according to the NFL.

▪︎->  CNN’s Joe Sutton, Christine Sever and Jacob Lev contributed to this reporting.

240117094651-02-kansas-city-cold-011324.webp

• mjp28 changed the title to [ IMPORTANT ]  In the fourth coldest game in NFL history 69 people aided by fire department !
  • mjp28 pinned this topic

SO,   how cold is too cold. -and-  should the NFL or the stadiium health department step in (or somebody) to regulate  too hot/cold issues ?

33 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

SO,   how cold is too cold. -and-  should the NFL or the stadiium health department step in (or somebody) to regulate  too hot/cold issues ?

I'm in 17F temps this morning. That's too damn cold.🌬️ But tomorrow's high will be 68F. I'm getting my shorts & T's out for that.🌞

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Nope. Let the people decide.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Nope. Let the people decide.

So let the people buy the tickets and go/or stay home and watch/or listen to the radio at home if blacked out.  I can see that.  As a choice, I like radio games especially with our local guys.

●-> Some players get hurt  every game, it's just part of it  but  when do having 69+ people in the stands count for something ?  Or does it ?   Or just too bad,  tough breaks you should have stayed home ..... i guess ?. 

Should there be allowance for dangerously cold game WARNINGS  from the national weather service in Cleveland or Pittsburgh ?   YES/NO for games ?  Should it be binding (required) or just a notice and the NFL (or MLB)  can do whatever ..... but it really messes schedules especially football ļ

●-->   This is a tough question with  NO  easy answer .... it always has been.   In the final analysis  let the customer decide.     Like Bob said in a lot less words.     :lol:

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

So let the people buy the tickets and go/or stay home and watch/or listen to the radio at home if blacked out.  I can see that.  As a choice, I like radio games especially with our local guys.

●-> Some players get hurt  every game, it's just part of it  but  when do having 69+ people in the stands count for something ?  Or does it ?   Or just too bad,  tough breaks you should have stayed home ..... i guess ?. 

Should there be allowance for dangerously cold game WARNINGS  from the national weather service in Cleveland or Pittsburgh ?   YES/NO for games ?  Should it be binding (required) or just a notice and the NFL (or MLB)  can do whatever ..... but it really messes schedules especially football ļ

●-->   This is a tough question with  NO  easy answer .... it always has been.   In the final analysis  let the customer decide.     Like Bob said in a lot less words.     :lol:

I can tell you I went down to the New Orleans game last year, & left after about 25 steps from parking my car. 

To me, it's the wind. When it gets below 15-20*, and it's windy, I'm just not into it. Never bothered me until recently. 

I just think people need to pay attention to the weather forecast & decide if they're up for it.

1 hour ago, Bob806 said:

I can tell you I went down to the New Orleans game last year, & left after about 25 steps from parking my car. 

To me, it's the wind. When it gets below 15-20*, and it's windy, I'm just not into it. Never bothered me until recently. 

I just think people need to pay attention to the weather forecast & decide if they're up for it.

~      found this online today,   "THE NFL COLD-WEATHER GAME DAY PROTOCAL"  in it's entirety.

●-->   The NFL’s cold-weather game day protocol.   <--●   

●->  Here’s how NFL teams operate when snowy or cold weather is expected ahead of games.

1.  A snow-removal plan is required for each home club, and snow and ice must be removed from stadiums before each game, according to the NFL’s game operations policy manual.

2.  IOWA CITY, IOWA - JANUARY 09: A pedestrian navigates a snow-covered street on January 09, 2024 in Iowa City, Iowa. A winter storm cutting through the state is expected to dump up to 14 inches of snow on the city before winds, up to 40 MPH, come through on the backside of the storm. (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)  ( not included )
Powerful winter storm hits eastern half of the US
“This applies to the field, stands/seats, aisles, pedestrian ramps, walkways, parking lots, etc. This also applies to the sidelines,” according to the manual.

3.  The league’s policy states if there’s any chance of precipitation, fields must be covered with tarp on the day and night before a game.

4.  “If weather dictates, heated benches must be available to both teams and activated two hours prior to kickoff,” according to the league’s rules.

~          That's it in it's entirety,  in 4 short paragraphs,   "Ta-da"    the   "immensely"   profitable  NFL  football league.   Snow up to 14"  and   winds up  to  40 mph   I think some winds were  over 40 mph ...... but i wasn't there.

And by   "immensely"   profitable  as in :

adverb
  1. to a great extent; extremely.
    "the show was immensely popular with children"   and the NFL too ....  I'm sure they could afford to do better,  or pay someone to do it.

• mjp28 unpinned this topic

The NFL does not give a rats ass about the players on the field or the fans in the stands.  All they care about is TV ratings.  They schedule games at night...in January.  Take a step back and let the back of your mind repeat that.  Because the back of your mind thinks that sounds crazy.  Football was not created as a winter sport.  Football was scheduled to be over before Christmas.  ( check the early years of the NFL )

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Orion said:

The NFL does not give a rats ass about the players on the field or the fans in the stands.  All they care about is TV ratings.  They schedule games at night...in January.  Take a step back and let the back of your mind repeat that.  Because the back of your mind thinks that sounds crazy.  Football was not created as a winter sport.  Football was scheduled to be over before Christmas.  ( check the early years of the NFL )

And were most games day games before television became king?

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And were most games day games before television became king?

I believe that night games started with Monday Night Football.

• mjp28 changed the title to ▪︎  In the fourth coldest game in NFL history 69 people aided by fire department !
8 hours ago, Orion said:

I believe that night games started with Monday Night Football.

The NFL played night games well before MNF, I would guess on Saturday nights. 

In fact, the Browns first game in the NFL vs the defending champion Philadelphia Eagles was a night game. 

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

The NFL played night games well before MNF, I would guess on Saturday nights. 

In fact, the Browns first game in the NFL vs the defending champion Philadelphia Eagles was a night game. 

Really?  I stand corrected.  I wasn't aware. 

But they weren't playing in January.  And I don't think baseball should be played in November at night.  

Personally, I don't think people should be playing prolonged sports games in the heat of the day in July & August either.  It's too friggin' hot.  I tell my foursome, Golf should be 16 holes.  And still that only gets it down to 4 hours in the hot sun.   OK...I'm done ranting about the climate.  :)

47 minutes ago, Orion said:

But they weren't playing in January.  And I don't think baseball should be played in November at night.  

Personally, I don't think people should be playing prolonged sports games in the heat of the day in July & August either.  It's too friggin' hot.  I tell my foursome, Golf should be 16 holes.  And still that only gets it down to 4 hours in the hot sun.   OK...I'm done ranting about the climate.  :)

You are right because The Browns won their last Championship about 2 weeks or so before I was born.. which was on Jan 7th..   The Browns 64 championship was on Dec 27th..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_NFL_Championship_Game

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Orion said:

Oh absolutely. 

I was at the MNF game last season vs the Steelers, in September, and froze my ass off. 

I can't imagine going to a night game in December or January in Cleveland. That is insane. 

And here's something really crazy, and I know I would be in the vast minority:

I'd make EVERY pro league's regular season shorter. 60 or so game NBA schedule. 140 or so MLB schedule. I'd probably be fine with a 14 game NFL schedule. 10 high school.... 12 college.... 14 NFL makes sense to me. It's going to be 18 before we know it, and by the time the playoffs come around you'll be lucky to have half of your original starters. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'd probably be fine with a 14 game NFL schedule

...I've said that too.

Yup, all of the seasons are too long.  I just saw that Orchard Park just got 28" of new snow.   It's friggin' mid-winter.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Orion said:

Believe me I'd rather go out 4 hours in the hot sun than spend 15 min. in 24F weather with a 10 mph N wind checking on my outside faucets and my kids outside faucets which is what I am about to do about an hour from now. And God forbid even one of them frozen up because then I get under a heavy comforter using a hot hair dryer on the faucet until the water flows freely again. Last big Arctic blast a couple of years back it took me over an hour on each of my kids' because he forgot to put them on drip before we hit the mid-teens. Holy fuck that was one cold morning. Thank goodness I was smart enough to get me and the fully running dryer under that heavy comforter which helped keep the air under it warm enough to stand it that long. And people who go ice fishing are deranged IMO.🌬️😱

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, nickers said:

You are right because The Browns won their last Championship about 2 weeks or so before I was born.. which was on Jan 7th..   The Browns 64 championship was on Dec 27th..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_NFL_Championship_Game

So you're the curse. A piece of dog shit is born and then the Browns never win another championship - sounds about right. 

1 hour ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

So you're the curse. A piece of dog shit is born and then the Browns never win another championship - sounds about right. 

Sure blame me... You are in football hell until I die!... Enjoy! And... You're welcome... Enjoy the huge fallout coming next season...🤎🧡🤍

If I was in charge, I would tell all teams that by 2030 no team could host a post season game unless it was in a domed stadium .  There is no excuse to play the game in crap conditions.

Teams and local communities could still have open air stadiums. They just wouldn't be able to host a game.  The game would have to be played at a neutral site.  Season ticket holders would still have the rights to their tickets.  They would just have to travel to the neutral site.

It's a Sunday.. Even Safety the Snowman ☃️

Would put a controlled element dome game starting at 6:30 verse

putting a outdoor game in Buffalo mid January as a night game?  ☃️   

Your welcome safety Roger Go-to-hell