THE BROWNS BOARD

Class Move by Vince Young

dencyguy

From The Tennessean: Vince Young fills in as dad for Steve McNair's sons

>>As a kid, Titans quarterback Vince Young looked up to Steve McNair.

On Wednesday, McNair's two young sons looked to Young as their father figure.

As part of "Dear Dads Breakfast" at St. Paul Christian Academy, Young surprised the children when he showed up at their house early Wednesday and took them to the Pancake Pantry.

Other students and their fathers also accompanied Young and McNair's children, Trenton and Tyler.

McNair was shot and killed July 4.

"It was a great, great gesture,'' said Julie Dilworth, admissions director at the school. "All the kids had been talking about the dads' breakfast and (Trenton and Tyler) were wondering what was going to happen with them.

"They were thrilled … the boys came to school with huge smiles on their faces.''

Even before McNair quarterbacked the Titans from 1995-2005, he was close to Young. They met through McNair's uncle, Young attended McNair's football camps as a youngster, and he even called the elder quarterback "Pops."

At McNair's funeral in Hattiesburg, Miss., Young looked into the crowd and told 11-year-old Trenton and 5-year-old Tyler they could count on him. The children also visited training camp at Baptist Sports Park as Young's guests.

"Those are my boys,'' Young said Wednesday. "I wouldn't say it was to pay anyone back; it was just out of love. Steve would do it for me. He pretty much did it for me when I was growing up. I have a history with the boys and I want to do anything I can. I am their big brother.''<<

I don't think Young has the makeup to ever be a good NFL QB--although it would be nice to see him prove that he does--but he still seems like a pretty good guy.

Dennis

Thats really cool of him, that takes balls... put yourself in Youngs shoes there, you could be met with so much media that could take it the wrong way. Plus you never know how the kids would react to that, they mightve had one of those "your not my dad!" fights. Really great story

Archived