THE BROWNS BOARD

Screens, Slants, and Posts

shepwrite

A couple things Quinn has done really well since he arrived, including preseason, is the intermediate post. His TD pass to Royal was a 26-yarder on a rope. Something the Browns did really well in the preseason was the screen, missing from the arsenal last year. And Quinn had a 104 rating last year against the Broncos, much of it with quick slants.

All generally were absent from the offense last week as we lived in the shotgun and threw to the flats. I hated the playcalling a lot. Our one first-look deep pass was Braylon down the sideline.

Nice to see the OBR report that the Browns are working screens, posts, and slants back into the offense for this week.

Some things I just don't get.

His TD pass to Royal was a 26-yarder on a rope.

if Quinn throws it, and it actually arrives, shep will be here to tell us it was "on a rope" - LAW OF NATURE

hey shep, how about Quinn works on throwing the football to a WR that's open, and not missing him out of bounds by 8 yards. That would probably help.

Quinn could hit Braylon all day on deep posts, its a QB's favorite route, just gotta get it past the safety. We need Alot more slants posts and ins called because the whole game was screen to the flat, 5 yard in, or a fly route. there were NO intermediate routes run AT ALL.

Well with the Denver secondary banged up instead of the quick slant I would like to see us take a lot more shots down field. Send 4 out in routes and leave Vickers in to help with any blitz that might come. Let Quinn make those 5, 7 step drops and let it go. I think we can burn them all day long. Then when they play off the ball we can run the draw with Harrison (I hate Lewis running draws, he can't get speed fast enough)

You can't take those shots down field if DEN plays deep coverage. If I am DEN and my CBs are banged up, I'd be playing cover 3 or cover 4 all day to keep the WR in front of my CBs. If DEN CB are truly banged up, they aren't going to be leaving them in man to man islands much, especially not Edwards.

I'm kinda hoping for some more running plays. Right up the middle vs their banged up safety's. I want to see if Davis has the juice to be an in between the tackles tough guy or not. I know jamal can.. I hope his neck is good, cuz I expect to see a lot of that. If we make them honor the run.. the passes will be there.

By the way, I have no problem using the short passes and to set up the long ones. Quinn likes quick hitters. Mangini likes safe ball control. To hell with these "you have to go deep to be successful" thoughts. Play to their strength, the D will have to adjust, and then burn them longer. Don't try to be something we're not.

Archived