THE BROWNS BOARD

So Far, So Good

dencyguy

Tennessee is keeping things surprisingly close against Florida so far. I still don't think Tennessee has the firepower to get past Florida, but I like the gameplan of playing a conservative offense that keeps it close and doesn't put the defense on the field every two minutes--our defense is our strength, but they're just not built to shut down the spread if they get the ball all the time. Also, they've handled Crompton very well so far, not putting him in the position to throw the big pick.

Dennis

Tennessee is keeping things surprisingly close against Florida so far. I still don't think Tennessee has the firepower to get past Florida, but I like the gameplan of playing a conservative offense that keeps it close and doesn't put the defense on the field every two minutes--our defense is our strength, but they're just not built to shut down the spread if they get the ball all the time. Also, they've handled Crompton very well so far, not putting him in the position to throw the big pick.

Dennis

Crompton isn't good at all...if ever a team needed a good QB it is Tenn

Crompton isn't good at all...if ever a team needed a good QB it is Tenn

True that. The problem is that the guy behind him, Nick Stephens, was just as likely as Crompton to throw picks last year, and threw a tantrum on the sidelines after several of them.

I think what happened today is that Kifffin realized at halftime that while Crompton throwing picks was bad, it would look even worse to sit on the ball for the entire second half. His picks were bad, but he played surprisingly well all things considered (and yes, that is a lousy compliment). The frustrating thing is that next year's game might well turn out the exact same way, because there just isn't a QB to step up and carry the team next year. The year after, maybe, but not right now.

Dennis

Just got back from the game...got about 3 hours on the road after the game last night...

Man, it was hot. I usually skip those day games but had to go to this one. The shade finally hit my seats about mid 1st qtr..a welcome relief.

I have to say the Vols at least walked the walk and did their part to keep Lame from looking like a total tool.

Even though the game was closer than most predicted, it wasn't that far from what i thought it would be....it's not like Tennessee totally sucks, and they do have a decent SEC defense. It might have been a bit worse without Tebows 2 turnovers fairly deep in Tn territory.

The crowd was it's usual rowdy and loud, but not more than normal...with those concrete buttress' in the corners, it might be the loudest stadium at any level of football.

I actually felt Meyer did a good job in bringing his team down this week. With all that transpired I was afraid we might be too high and make goofy mistakes....like roughing and that sort of stuff....but the team just went out and played...which I liked.

I can see the team is going to miss harvin...who wouldn't??

I think if the Gators are going to win the SEC it is going to have to be with a stout D and on the legs of the backs and Tebow.

I think we wanted to take Tebow out of the mix a bit, but as the game went on, it was more Tebow carrying the load....but hey..who better when you need it?

Overall I give both team a thumbs-up but two to the Vols for playing a good game and not taking some cheap shots.

Some prognosticators are saying the Fla defense might be the best ever to take the field...in that all 11 might be playing on Sunday(wow). We'll see but if that is the case....has it ever happpened before?

If it ever has, it woulda been one of JJ's Miami teams.

On a side note, how great is Monte Kiffin? He comes to Knoxville and installs a new defense. He hasn't worked in college for almost thirty years. Has a team that's thin on the defensive line, small at LB, and young at DB. And, coaching against a defense you never see in the NFL and a QB who's essentially Tecmo Bowl Bo Jackson running it, holds them in check. I was a bit concerned about giving a big contract to a 70 year old assistant--I was hoping the Vols would keep John Chavis--but he's earned every penny so far. Hopefully he'll stick around for more than a couple of years.

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been watching a lot of games during the first two days of the tournament, and I have to say that the games are really interesting so far. You have Duke that almost got upseted by Belmont, and now you have Davidson and Gonzaga battling out, and the same thing goes for Tennessee and America. Everyone probably thought that the Tennessee game would be a blow out, but its fairly close. Im loving this.

error ppctl dll is damaged and could not be repaired

Dency...What the first name of Linebacker, Thompson #42...I thought we had a great game @ Fla....Is he a junior? Senior?

LaMarcus Thompson, a junior. Up until this year, he seems to have played almost exclusively on special teams (he had like ten tackles last year). He's not Rico McCoy, but with fan favorite Nick Reveiz (undersized kid with a great motor, former walkon turned captain, son of another noteworthy Vol) out for the year, he should get more attention from the fans now.

Dennis

Archived