THE BROWNS BOARD

▪︎ Another former Guardian announces his retirement,  Catcher Mike Zunino.

mjp28

Another former Guardian announces his retirement,  Catcher Mike Zunino.

AP23153724003916.jpg?w=900

Cleveland Guardians catcher Mike Zunino looks toward the team bench during the fourth inning of a baseball game against the Minnesota Twins, Thursday, June 1, 2023, in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Abbie Parr)

CLEVELAND, Ohio (WKBN) – Former Cleveland Guardians catcher Mike Zunino officially announced his retirement from baseball on Tuesday.

He made the announcement in an Instagram post:

“With profound gratitude, I am announcing my retirement from Major League Baseball after 11 seasons. As I reflect on my career, I am appreciative of the support of the baseball community and those who have guided me along the way.” He goes on to thank the Mariners, Rays and Guardians, their fans, the MLBPA, team staff and teammates, as well as his advisors, representatives and family members. “While my time on the field has concluded, my passion for baseball remains as strong as ever, and I eagerly anticipate exploring new avenues to contribute to the sport. I am excited to bring what I have learned in the game to the next generation of MLB players, and to give back to the game that has given so much to me.”

Mike Zunino

Zunino originally signed a one-year free agent deal with Cleveland prior to the 2023 season. He struggled during his time in Cleveland batting .177 with 3 home runs and 11 RBIs. He was a liability on defense allowing an MLB-worst five passes balls on the season. He threw out just 16.7% of attempted base stealers.

He was released by the Guardians last June.

■  Prior to his brief stint with Cleveland, Zunino played 10 seasons  in the Major Leagues with both Seattle and Tampa Bay. ■

▪︎ In 2021 he was named an American League All-Star after hitting a career-high 33 home runs for Tampa Bay.

Catcher Mike  Zunino  retires.

Who ?  Oh yeah Mike.  But he did qualify for his nice MLB Pension !   (see above post)

AP23153724003916.jpg

• mjp28 unpinned this topic

A little side note on  MLB players retiring with the  "nice"  10 year pension.  Contracts,  pensions and related matters are kind of a "hobby" of mine.

What do MLB players get after 10 years?

Yes, major league players receive a pension with ten years of service time. Each year must include 172 days on an active roster or disabled list. At 45, they can begin receiving almost $68,000 per year. If they wait until they are 62, the amount they receive goes up to $220,000.Nov 18,