THE BROWNS BOARD

Wimbley alone on the TE = TD Denver

Greythan

I was flat out amazed that Ryan let the touchdown play occur in the first half.

How do you have ANY defensive set where you leave an outside linebacker in a 3-4 ONE ON ONE against a TE split wide left?

Seriously. I can't recall EVER seeing that. Wimley's one hell of an athlete, but to think he's going to cover a guy (TE no less) one on one 3 yards from the goal line is insane.

I lost a ton of confidence in Ryan on that one. He should have called a time out, subbed in another back or rotate one over.

Horrid.

I was flat out amazed that Ryan let the touchdown play occur in the first half.

How do you have ANY defensive set where you leave an outside linebacker in a 3-4 ONE ON ONE against a TE split wide left?

Seriously. I can't recall EVER seeing that. Wimley's one hell of an athlete, but to think he's going to cover a guy (TE no less) one on one 3 yards from the goal line is insane.

I lost a ton of confidence in Ryan on that one. He should have called a time out, subbed in another back or rotate one over.

Horrid.

Only thing I've seen worse was in the Houston-Tenn game.....Houston left Chris Johnson COMPLETELY uncovered on the left side receiver spot...went for the easiest TD I've ever seen.

Pretty standard to see a TE split wide left with man coverage with no safety help over the top?

Yes, standard for your shutdown corner. Not standard for your pass rushing OLB.

I think the "size vs speed" element was answered on the play's result. The TE, who wasn't exactly a speedster, ran a simple in route. Wimbley could have been Shaq and it wouldn't have mattered.

I agree with Grey.

Ryan should have called a timeout.

If Wimbley doesn't have safety help, he needs to use the sideline & angle as his help. Take a step or two inside of the TE and make him run outside. Now Wimbley has the angle (like the DB on the Quinn to Furrey Gutterball). You make it so tight that if he still wants to run inside, Tip Drill's pass will bounce off the back of Clady's helmet. Or get swatted by Robaire.

Wimbley is better in coverage than that play showed. Again it's a coaching thing. If Mango-Ryan didn't waste so much time this pre-season preparing for injury, giving guys like Costanzo an opportunity to learn how to back pedal 8 yds to play coverage, they could have actually explained to our starters why you cover a guy a certain way. Why you force him outside, etc.

Wimbley was still athletic enough to get his hand in the mix but it didn't matter by that point. He has a lot better shot at a jumpball fade route to that TE, imo.

Archived