THE BROWNS BOARD

Drew Brees the best QB in the NFL

OconRecon

For those upset Quinn isn't looking very good (even though he doesn't have a running game and St. Clair at RT), think about this.

Today's front page on MSN asks if Drew Brees is the NFL's best QB. They are asking this about him at age 30 and he's been around since 2001. He didn't get there overnight.

Drew Brees' stats with QB ratings in bold:

2009 New Orleans Saints 51 68 75.0 669 9.8 9 2 2 23 132.9 1 -1 -1.0 0 2 0

2008 New Orleans Saints 413 635 65.0 5,069 8.0 34 17 13 92 96.2 22 -1 0.0 0 6 1

2007 New Orleans Saints 440 652 67.5 4,423 6.8 28 18 16 109 89.4 23 52 2.3 1 9 4

2006 New Orleans Saints 356 554 64.3 4,418 8.0 26 11 18 105 96.2 42 32 0.8 0 8 3

2005 San Diego Chargers 323 500 64.6 3,576 7.2 24 15 27 223 89.2 21 49 2.3 1 8 5

2004 San Diego Chargers 262 400 65.5 3,159 7.9 27 7 18 131 104.8 53 85 1.6 2 7 2

2003 San Diego Chargers 205 356 57.6 2,108 5.9 11 15 21 178 67.5 21 84 4.0 0 5 3

2002 San Diego Chargers 320 526 60.8 3,284 6.2 17 16 24 180 76.9 38 130 3.4 1 2 0

2001 San Diego Chargers (played only one game)

AND, in 2002/2003, LaDainian was cranking out 1600+ yards/season.

Now, I'm not saying Quinn will be Brees; I'm not saying give it time and for sure it'll be alright; I'm not saying Quinn is doing well. He can do better. But, I think we all agree the Browns have to work on making everything in the offense better, not just the QB position. The downer is it's tough to imagine a scenario where we look good this year. They just need to keep working at it from all angles.

Drew Brees had a better arm or a more expansive playbook which ever way u want to put it. While NO knew that their offense was a problem, they knew that Brees was part of the solution. We sadly do not.

I think the point of his post was to show that Brees was not very good his first couple seasons of starts and then it clicked and he's been pretty damn good since. When NO got him he was already the improved version that got to play his learning years in SD.

I think the point of his post was to show that Brees was not very good his first couple seasons of starts and then it clicked and he's been pretty damn good since. When NO got him he was already the improved version that got to play his learning years in SD.

Drew bree's has a very average / weak NFL arm. He's just crazy accurate and anticipatory.

I know...but don't let the DA groupies know that...they still think Brees has Jamarcus Russell strength.

I have a feeling JaFat will be the first ever QB converted to defensive end.

This is the ceiling argument: will your guy develop or are you wasting reps on him?

Both our QB's are young and could (repeat "could") develop ala the Brees lines above.

The question is where do you make your bet?

Considering DA's systemic limitations (mobility, accuracy, and decision making) I've held the opinion that leaving a first rounder on the bench didn't make sense. If Quinn implodes it will be interesting to see what is Mangini's view of DA's ceiling. Obviously, at this time he thinks Quinn's is significantly higher or he'd have gone with the more established guy.

Drew Brees had a better arm or a more expansive playbook which ever way u want to put it. While NO knew that their offense was a problem, they knew that Brees was part of the solution. We sadly do not.

Leave.jpg

If you don't have a fcuking clue what you're talking about, then just hold it in. It's no state secret that Brees doesn't exactly have a cannon attached to his right shoulder. His "weak arm" was actually the big knock on him (along with his height) until he started lighting up the league.

Guest ATENEARS
Here's the thing I feel Quinn isn't doing. Frankly, I know little of the finer points of quarterbacking, but I've yet to see a simple well timed square out pattern.

In our QB's defense, who have we had to run a square out pattern? Edwards? fat chance having ANY pattern ran square by this cat, let alone to the right yard-marker so it could be timed. Cribbs? Steptoe? Stallworth?

JJ most likely is the lone exception. Even Winslow would have to ablib so many gyrations that it wouldn't be consistient enough to time.

Where's our Anthony Carter?

Guest ATENEARS
I remember watching Drew Brees in college and wondering "Why do they think he can't play in the pros, I would take him"

Me too ... I repeated it so many times, people hated Brees.

So Brees goes into the category of "developed superstar/legend" along with Eli. Yet my fellow dumb ass Browns fans cannot figure out that the real way to get the franchise QB is to pick one, and stick with them for a long while until they develop. Which is what Ive been trying to tell people about Quinn, but everyone is so damn impatient, they want the Superstar "NOW" because there spoiled with the Matt Ryans and Joe Flaccos of the world. I dont know about you people, but I'd take a Drew Brees or an Eli Manning over either of those guys.

Give Quinn time, and lots of it, and he will be our superstar, dont shut him out after 1 bad season, give hime a few years, if we get rid of him, he will end up just like Brees (who was given to New Orleans from San Diego). Im telling you!

Guest ATENEARS
So Brees goes into the category of "developed superstar/legend" along with Eli. Yet my fellow dumb ass Browns fans cannot figure out that the real way to get the franchise QB is to pick one, and stick with them for a long while until they develop. Which is what Ive been trying to tell people about Quinn, but everyone is so damn impatient, they want the Superstar "NOW" because there spoiled with the Matt Ryans and Joe Flaccos of the world. I dont know about you people, but I'd take a Drew Brees or an Eli Manning over either of those guys.

Give Quinn time, and lots of it, and he will be our superstar, dont shut him out after 1 bad season, give hime a few years, if we get rid of him, he will end up just like Brees (who was given to New Orleans from San Diego). Im telling you!

Why you are calling people dumbasses, turn the finger on yourself Chachi. First of all, I don't think anyone here had a Browns Gm's ear on draft day, and wasn't a part of drafting or passing on any QB in the history of the NFL. Second of all, Drew Brees stood out to me in accuracy, using the whole field, knowing his offense, and reading defenses, over just about any QB I've ever seen in college football. Brady Quinn was average in this same evaulation, You don't just throw a dart at the QB draft board then roll up your sleeves and start developing no matter how many years it sets your franchise back.

Brady Quinn is not Drew Brees/ Eli Manning with just a few more years of development. There is no secret recipe to taking any joe-shmo and developing them. Hell, if that was the case, Derek Anderson had better stats across the board than Eli manning had in his Super Bowl Winning season ... why don't we wait on DA?

Who you calling a dumbass? I mean, that is your arguement after calling your fellow Browns fans dumbasses?

We need to put that on our wall Al Davis style, "JUST WAIT BABY!"

Agree, we need to give it some time. Nothing else makes sense.

QUOTE (BrownIndian @ Sep 21 2009, 09:27 AM)

If you don't have a fcuking clue what you're talking about, then just hold it in. It's no state secret that Brees doesn't exactly have a cannon attached to his right shoulder. His "weak arm" was actually the big knock on him (along with his height) until he started lighting up the league.

--------------------

"I like to quote myself." -Me

The "big knock on his arm" was about how far could he throw not how accurate could he throw. And in NFL a better arm does not refer just to the arm strength but also the accuracy. Maybe after watching a lot of Browns game u forgot how important it is for QB's to have this thing called ACCURACY in their gamut but i did not.

QUOTE (BrownIndian @ Sep 21 2009, 09:27 AM)

--------------------

"I like to quote myself." -Me

The "big knock on his arm" was about how far could he throw not how accurate could he throw. And in NFL a better arm does not refer just to the arm strength but also the accuracy. Maybe after watching a lot of Browns game u forgot how important it is for QB's to have this thing called ACCURACY in their gamut but i did not.

Wow. That was a nice stretch there....I hope you didn't pull anything.

Generally speaking, when someone is talking about a QB in the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE(copyright Ron Jaworski) and they refer to his "arm" they're referring to the strength of his arm, i.e. how fast/far he can throw it.

When one is talking about ACCURACY they refer to the QB's "accuracy," or talk about "how accurate" he is (funny how that works, isn't it.)

Nice try at the save, though.

Drew bree's has a very average / weak NFL arm. He's just crazy accurate and anticipatory.

100% wrong. He was on a show a while back and was chucking the ball 70 yards with no problem. He was also proven to throw the best spiral ever. I mean what does the guy need to do throw 100 yards on his knees?

Leave.jpg

He does not have a "weak arm". I agree. Did you see the pass he threw 2 weeks ago? The thing was on a rope from 60 yards. It was almost comical how good the pass was. The DB couldn't defend it because it got to the receiver so quick. The DB was like, "really, it got there that quick"?

Wow. That was a nice stretch there....I hope you didn't pull anything.

Generally speaking, when someone is talking about a QB in the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE(copyright Ron Jaworski) and they refer to his "arm" they're referring to the strength of his arm, i.e. how fast/far he can throw it.

When one is talking about ACCURACY they refer to the QB's "accuracy," or talk about "how accurate" he is (funny how that works, isn't it.)

Nice try at the save, though.

forgive me if u are the one looking stupid now. If i meant stronger arm I would have said stronger arm. I said better arm. if people cant throw accurate passes although they can throw long u dont say they have better arm, u say they have a stronger arm.

... He was always looking for the "open" man, as in open enough that I could tell he was open...

More evidence of this is Braylon reportedly said to Quinn last week, something to the effect of, "just throw it my way and I'll catch it". I've seen him do it a ton at ND. Many times Jeff S. wasn't open and Quinn just chucked it up there and let him go get it. I'd like to to him do it once to Braylon.

Bernie (got this by listening to the audio in the other thread) too feels that BQ is being overly cautious. He seems too spooked to make those kind of risky throws and hence does not want to take the risk. I think we need to be a bit more cavalier and have our WR's and TE's try to make those catches than assume that we will never make those catches and hence should wait for the open man.

Bernie (got this by listening to the audio in the other thread) too feels that BQ is being overly cautious. He seems too spooked to make those kind of risky throws and hence does not want to take the risk. I think we need to be a bit more cavalier and have our WR's and TE's try to make those catches than assume that we will never make those catches and hence should wait for the open man.

I think that is a fair assessment. But up until now the play calling has been a joke. Run, Run, Pass for 3 1/2 quarters. Then we are down 14, now pass it every down. Come on.

Guest ATENEARS
I think this thread is great, and more people need to read it and take it to heart. In Brees 3rd season he had a 67 QBR. Yet after Quinn only playing 2 bad games this season were going to write him off? Some of my fellow fans are being rediculous

Yea! ... I guess I get the raf-rah for Quinn with this logic, what I don't get is how easy and comfortable one can ignore this same logic in casting our other young QB aside that tossed more TD's in one season already than Brees had in every year except last year.

Pro-Rated, here is what Anderson stats would look like compared to the Best (Brees):

Drew Brees:

Record: 55-51 ... 2385 of 3718 attempts ... 26,917 yrds ... 177 TD's ... 101 INT's

D. Anderson

Record: 51-55 ... 1986 of 3639 attempts ... 24,321 yrds ... 168 TD's .... 137 INT's

Computing by the difference in amount of Starts, the above is what pace DA is on.

We are writing him off?

Guest ATENEARS

You guys aren't even good at finding a great QB who had a slow start to use in pimping up Quinns lame start; John Elway is the best example and was a Camp Couch favorite comparison ... go grab his beginning numbers and we will soon see that Quinn is gonna be a mega star ... it's that simple and easy. I have no idea why Ryan Leaf fans couldn't figure this shit out.

Yea! ... I guess I get the raf-rah for Quinn with this logic, what I don't get is how easy and comfortable one can ignore this same logic in casting our other young QB aside that tossed more TD's in one season already than Brees had in every year except last year.

Pro-Rated, here is what Anderson stats would look like compared to the Best (Brees):

Drew Brees:

Record: 55-51 ... 2385 of 3718 attempts ... 26,917 yrds ... 177 TD's ... 101 INT's

D. Anderson

Record: 51-55 ... 1986 of 3639 attempts ... 24,321 yrds ... 168 TD's .... 137 INT's

Computing by the difference in amount of Starts, the above is what pace DA is on.

We are writing him off?

Heres the difference Brees was drafted in the 2nd round, Quinn was drafted in the first...... DA... the sixth.

Lets talk Wonderlic Drew Brees 28, Brady Quinn 29, Derek Anderson 15

Lets see about arm strength... Derek Anderson, then Quinn, then Brees

How about college stats..... Oh whats that? You've had enough?

Quinn is the better Prospect Ate, he shows all the signs, has the work ethic, give him time and he will get it done

Archived