THE BROWNS BOARD

Think I pinpointed my biggest issue....

glenby73

As a Browns fan, I'm accustomed to frustration. The trick is figuring out what exactly is the issue.

We've gone through DA and BQ for YEEEEAAAAARRRRRSSSSSS. Unbelievable.

We've had bad playcalling, on top of bad plays, on top of motorcycles crashes, on top of coaches leaving during the season, on top of coin flips, on top of beer bottle tossing, on top of helmets being removed on the field, on top of shoeless races, on top of starting Seattle's third string QB, on top of being told we can't stand up during the game because somebody is going to text the team and complain..... the list goes on and on. And this is just since their return. There is no shortage of BS to gripe about.

I think this is where my focus has to be right now. Hear me out...

Good or bad, Mangini is the new boss. We have to give him a shot. Kokinis is the new GM. We have to give him a shot.... so on and so forth.

I'm picking up mixed signals from Mangini. I can't determine from his actions if he is playing for NOW, or the future. I'll explain...

- We moved down in the draft and took a center. That says future right?

- We went through ANOTHER preseason without naming our starter for a competitive advantage? lol! that says NOW right?

- We're playing our 31 yr old TE (didn't find the number) and 33 yr old TE (112 career college catches) instead of our 24 yr old TE (over 200 career college catches). Are we saving him? Sounds like future right?

- We are playing our STAR special teams player as our #2 receiver instead of developing our rookies. That says NOW. Would you agree?

- Our offensive scheme is so bland, we either have players that dictate us playing conservatively, Or Mangini doesn't want to open up the playbook. He wants to maintain a competitive edge over anyone we may face in the playoffs! Doesn't want to give them any good tape to watch!! Future?

- I know we have some injury and depth issues but, we basically put the RB duties squarely on the back of an aging but rugged veteran Jamal Lewis. Now?

Maybe it's my lack of intelligence (I set it, feel free to spike it), but I can't tell exactly what the big picture is. Does he think he has a shot of contending now or is he on the 3 year plan? All of us recognize the fact this team needs a lot more pieces. I just don't see how all the pieces fit in Mangini's head.

Help me out! What the H are we doing?

Good points, I've thought of most of your points myself.

I want to give Mangini a chance, but I have to admit, I wanted an offensive-minded coach. Once again, we as fans are going to have to be patient.

I scratched my head about Robiskie being inactive, for instance. I can't understand why BQ looks so bad right now. I can't understand why we signed Hank Poteat (he was torched by Kelly Holcomb in our only playoff game since the rebirth), why isn't Coye Francies playing?

I will never, ever, give up rooting for the Browns...like I wrote here back when Mangini was picked...if Lerner doesn't get it right with Mangini & Co., he HAS to sell the team, and just move on.

Here's hoping for some competitive football the next 14 games, we just can't be this bad. Never saw it coming.

Good points, I've thought of most of your points myself.

if Lerner doesn't get it right with Mangini & Co., he HAS to sell the team, and just move on.

Not really, look at Mike Brown. He could sell the team and it may be moved elsewhere. Cleveland may not get another team if that happened.

I think that Mangini is playing to get as many wins as he can right now but with an eye on the future. If he had been here last year or retained an offensive coach from last year he might not have had a QB competition, he may have drafted Sanchez and taken the picks. He had very limited knowledge about either guy and how many on this board wanted Quinn to start? I hope that Quinn or DA has the light bulb come on this year so we aren't drafting a QB.

Mangini was devestated by the loss, he was devastated by how poorly the team played. Let's give them a chance and hope for improvement. If I see steady progress from now to the end of the season I will be satisfied.

Year after year it's bitch and moan about the play calling. Arians was horrible . . . two Superbowl victories ago. Chud was boring . . . after a 10-6 season with an explosive offense. I think Chris Palmer had a few good years calling plays for other teams if I'm not mistaken.

Asshole was a "genius" at Minnesota and then had nothing but a defense in Baltimore.

It's the guys on the field. We played better teams last year and had a limited Kellen Winslow, no JJ, no Tucker a year older Lewis. Arians has more pieces to work with now. Asshole had offensive talent out the wazoo when in Minnesota.

Defenses are taking away the slants and trying to force Quinn to throw outside the hashes. We're not seeing pre-season base defenses all the time. The play calling put Quinn in position for at least two TDs that were obvious when watching on television. The poor throw to Furrey on the opening drive and the play where Mass Mo had two steps on the defender one of the several times that Denver went to a cover zero. Who knows how many other plays were left on the field if somebody does his job?

Carthon was horrid, though.

Not really, look at Mike Brown. He could sell the team and it may be moved elsewhere. Cleveland may not get another team if that happened.

I think that Mangini is playing to get as many wins as he can right now but with an eye on the future. If he had been here last year or retained an offensive coach from last year he might not have had a QB competition, he may have drafted Sanchez and taken the picks. He had very limited knowledge about either guy and how many on this board wanted Quinn to start? I hope that Quinn or DA has the light bulb come on this year so we aren't drafting a QB.

Mangini was devestated by the loss, he was devastated by how poorly the team played. Let's give them a chance and hope for improvement. If I see steady progress from now to the end of the season I will be satisfied.

He'll get his chance. and I'm okay with him getting his chance. It's just frustrating when you have questions and next week comes and you don't see anything different.

So BQ is a dink n dunk noodle arm, then why the hell don't we have the TE with the best track record of catching the FRICKIN ball on the field?

If you don't want to pay Cribbs WR money, and I don't blame him for not wanting to, why are we trying so hard to make him a WR when we have rookies with at least as much potential if not more sitting on the bench?

It's about progress. The only progress I saw was BQ actually finding BE 6 times.

Running game was worse.

Blocking was worse.

Pressure on the QB was worse.

Secondary wasn't pretty.

and so on.

Even Cribbs had a horrible day on special teams for his standards.

DA, BQ, I don't care which one starts. Neither one is enough to overcome all the issues. I'm sick of that debate!

I hereby declare the official beginning of the Royal/Rucker debate!!!!! Who you taking Lummy? :P

Last year Mangini's offense produced 22 passing TDs

This year's offense is on pace for 8.

Agreed.

I am willing to give Mangini a chance, my point wasn't expounded enough...Sam Rutigliano was the last offensive- minded head coach we had. Our defensive-minded coaches, with the exception of Marty (during the Infante years) haven't exactly been stellar on offense.

Archived