THE BROWNS BOARD

Your First... And Last?

It's the dead time of the Browns season... post-draft but months before training camp... thought it would be a good time for a quick questionnaire

1. When was your first Browns game you attended in person? What do you remember from it?

2. When was your last Browns game you attended in person? Any good/funny anecdotes from it?

3. First favorite Browns player? Who was the Browns player you first really liked? 

4. Last (current) favorite Browns player not named Nick Chubb? 😁

5. First Browns jersey you owned? Who was the player?

6. Last Browns jersey you owned? Who?

7. If you could go back in time and see any Browns game in person, what game would you go to?

8. If you could put any current NFL player on the Browns, THAT DOESN'T PLAY QUARTERBACK, who would it be?

• Like 2

i was 5. Just remember it was loud

This is what happened when Paul Brown’s Bengals played Cleveland for the first time: Browns Flashback

• Updated: Dec. 03, 2019, 3:37 p.m.|
  • Published: Dec. 03, 2019, 8:04 a.m.

Browns beat Bengals in 1970

The front page of The Plain Dealer in 1970 on the day after the Browns won the first regular season game between the Cleveland Browns and Cincinnati Bengals.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Art Modell was a winner. He was presented the game ball after the game. And the coach he fired, Cincinnati Bengals owner-coach Paul Brown, was a loser in the first regular-season meeting against the Cleveland Browns franchise Brown had launched so successfully 24 years earlier.

It was on Oct. 11, 1970, that the Bengals played the Browns for the first time in the regular season. Cleveland won, 30-27. There was no postgame handshake between Brown and Cleveland coach Blanton Collier, as was also the case after an exhibition game earlier in the year.

The game came nearly eight years after Modell on Jan. 7, 1963, so famously fired Brown, who went on to start the AFL’s Bengals in 1968.

The Browns-Bengals rivalry was born.

Read the game story below as it appeared in the next day’s Plain Dealer.

Browns nip Cincy

By Chuck Heaton, Plain Dealer Reporter

CLEVELAND, Ohio - The second round - and the first one that counted - went to the Browns yesterday, but it didn't come easily.

Blanton Collier's team rallied from a 10-point deficit to edge the Cincinnati Bengals, 30-27, before another standing-room crowd of 83,520 on a gray, mild day at the Stadium.

The decision still was in doubt until the late seconds, however, Bill Nelsen, who started and went the distance at quarterback, led the winners to a pair of first downs and used up all but 10 seconds of the clock to preserve the lead.

Only two seconds remained when Paul Brown's team finally regained the ball. The defense then finished things off in smashing fashion, with end Jack Gregory slamming through to drop passer Virgil Carter for a 12-yard loss as time ran out.

Indicating that the Cleveland players realized that this was more than just another ball game, the Browns presented Art Modell with the game ball in the dressing room.

Once again there was no handshake after the game between Brown and Collier, something that caused quite a furor following the Bengals' exhibition victory last August in Cincinnati. The two coaches did speak briefly before the kickoff, however.

"We just said hello and wished each other luck," explained Collier.

Brown, who maintains that the post-game congratulations has been out for some time in the American Football League because of some incidents, said that they had agreed on no further get-together after the final gun.

The fans were watching, however. They booed as the saw Collier come close to midfield and as Brown headed right for the dressing room.

It was an important victory for the Browns, who remained in the first place in the Central Division of the American Football Conference. They now have a 3-1 record with the Detroit Lions, who are sure to be fired up after their upset by the Washington Redskins, coming to the lakefront next Sunday.

Browns defeat Bengals in 1970

Page 1 of the Plain Dealer sports section on the day after Cleveland's first victory over the Cincinnati Bengals.

A special commendation must go to Nelsen, Leroy Kelly and Bo Scott. All played despite injuries that might have kept some performers on the bench.

The trio appears to come through in good shape, although Nelsen had that sore knee belted once during the second half, and it seemed that he might have to come out. He shook off that pain, however, and was in through the finish.

Scott finally went to the sideline in the final period, but seemed all right after the game. It isn't believed that his sore knee is any worse than it was at the start.

The fullback hit for a yard and the Browns' final touchdown in the last quarter. Bo also carried 10 times and averaged 4.4 yards, and caught two passes for 29 yards.

Leroy, who worked little during the week because of a very sore ankle, carried the ball 29 times and gained 84 yards and scored twice. He also pulled in five passes for 79 yards and one of those - a screen pass good for 55 yards - set up the Browns' second touchdown in the second quarter.

The halfback opened the scoring for Cleveland by taking a 3-yard pass from Nelsen. That put the eventual winners right back in the game after Cincinnati jumped to the front on Horst Muhlmann's 50-yard field goal and a 2-yard plunge for six points in the last period.

The Browns' other touchdown came in the second quarter on a 4-yard pass from Nelsen to Milt Morin. It was a third-down play with the aerial being good for 4 yards.

First two points for the Browns came in the first quarter, when huge Walter Johnson bulled though to down Virgil Carter in the Cincinnati end zone for a safety. That was one of the few mistakes made by Cater, who hit on his first nine passes and on 20 of 28 for the day.

The Cleveland defense, somewhat erratic that first half, harassed the former Chicago signal-caller, making his first start for Paul Brown's team. They downed him five times for 36 yards, and veteran Erich Barnes picked off a fourth-quarter pass and returned 20 yards to the 6-yard line.

Two plays later, Scott hit behind Gene Hickerson and Joe Taffoni for the touchdown which eventually proved to be the winning points.

The other Cincinnati touchdowns were scored by Royce Berry, who scooped up a fumble and rambled 58 yards for a second quarter tally; and by Speedy Thomas, who took a 16-yard pass from Carter in the last quarter.

Muhlmann also booted a 23-yard field goal in the third period, but missed one of 39 yards a bit earlier in the period.

The side-winder from Germany did a fine job on the kickoffs. The Browns were only able to return two of his boots.

After the Bengals, who took a 31-24 decision in the summer exhibition but now have a 1-3 season mark, bounced out to the 10-0 lead, Cleveland got the safety. So it was 10-2 in favor of the visitors at the end of the first quarter.

Then the Browns knifed that lead to 10-9 with Kelly's first touchdown. The Bengals came back with Berry's touchdown jaunt with the fumble, and Cleveland retaliated with Nelsen's scoring pass to Morin.

So the Bengals had a 17-16 halftime lead.

Cincinnati got three points in the third quarter on Muhlmann's field goal for the only scoring of the period and led, 20-16, at the end of the session.

The Browns were on the move, however, and went ahead on Kelly's 1-yard sweep at the start of the final quarter. Then the lead was knifed to 10 points on Scott's touchdown.

Cincinnati rallied on more fine passing by Carter to go 75 yards in nine plays and pull within three points. After that, time became of the essence, and the Browns won the battle of the clock with a third-down pass to Gary Collins for 8 yards as a key play.

That was Nelsen's 17th completion on a good afternoon on which he tried 19. The aerials picked up 226 yards, but there was one interception by the Bengals' safety man, Ken Graham.

Although it was a standoff on the interceptions - one each, the Browns played somewhat raggedly on offense. They fumbled five times and lost the ball twice.

Part of this undoubtedly was due to the fact that Scott and Kelly were able to work very little during the week.

It’s a sign of a good team if a club can overcome such problems and still win. The Browns did just that, and make no mistake about it. They beat a good football team - one that will be even better as the season progresses.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

2. When was your last Browns game you attended in person? Any good/funny anecdotes from it?

3. First favorite Browns player? Who was the Browns player you first really liked? 

7. If you could go back in time and see any Browns game in person, what game would you go to?

8. If you could put any current NFL player on the Browns, THAT DOESN'T PLAY QUARTERBACK, who would it be?

Seattle, met some of the players family at pikes market.

Greg Pruitt

Jim Brown

Curtis Mayfield

I do not have a Tardis. But if i did. I would go back  to the game i mentioned above. So I could remember the time I had with my brother and father.

Chris Jones next to Myles. Damn

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, syd said:

Chris Jones next to Myles. Damn

A stud DTackle next to Myles... 

That's a good one. 

And that's funny... your first Browns game you went to was the first Browns vs Bengals game, the first time Paul Brown returned to Cleveland... my first game was the game after Rutigliano was fired, Marty Shottenheimer's first game as a NFL head coach. You got to see a win, I didn't. 

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

It's the dead time of the Browns season... post-draft but months before training camp... thought it would be a good time for a quick questionnaire

1. When was your first Browns game you attended in person? What do you remember from it?    Otto hlast season, 55 I think.  I remember it was cold and the first game my Dad took me to....I remember the fist game over Otto Graham.  I might have been 6-7 years old.   Popcorn and hotdogs were the main attractions.

2. When was your last Browns game you attended in person? Any good/funny anecdotes from it?   Last season, I have season ticket's.

3. First favorite Browns player? Who was the Browns player you first really liked?   Jim Brown

4. Last (current) favorite Browns player not named Nick Chubb? 😁  Myles

5. First Browns jersey you owned? Who was the player?  ??

6. Last Browns jersey you owned? Who?  Jim Brown

7. If you could go back in time and see any Browns game in person, what game would you go to?  ??  Several I suppose.

8. If you could put any current NFL player on the Browns, THAT DOESN'T PLAY QUARTERBACK, who would it be?   Good question...Tyreek Hill???

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1. When was your first Browns game you attended in person? What do you remember from it? Never seen 'em in person.

2. When was your last Browns game you attended in person? Any good/funny anecdotes from it? Ditto.

3. First favorite Browns player? Who was the Browns player you first really liked? Jim Brown.

4. Last (current) favorite Browns player not named Nick Chubb? 😁Myles, who else really!

5. First Browns jersey you owned? Who was the player? JFF. Who else really? I own my mistakes.🤣

6. Last Browns jersey you owned? Who? Garrett, who else really. I own my brilliance too.🤩

7. If you could go back in time and see any Browns game in person, what game would you go to? 1964 NFL Championship Game.

8. If you could put any current NFL player on the Browns, THAT DOESN'T PLAY QUARTERBACK, who would it be? Derrick Henry and I predict you will see why in Baltimore this coming season. You can't stop a great inside runner and a great outside runner/thrower at the same time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Damn, we have a guy on here who actually saw Otto Graham play in person. I can't imagine there's a ton of Browns fans around that can say that.

Which explains why you wouldn't remember whose jersey was your first Browns one... it was probably 20-25 years later before team merchandise started becoming "a thing", in the late 70s or so. 

13 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

1. When was your first Browns game you attended in person? What do you remember from it? Never seen 'em in person.

2. When was your last Browns game you attended in person? Any good/funny anecdotes from it? Ditto.

3. First favorite Browns player? Who was the Browns player you first really liked? Jim Brown.

4. Last (current) favorite Browns player not named Nick Chubb? 😁Myles, who else really!

5. First Browns jersey you owned? Who was the player? JFF. Who else really? I own my mistakes.🤣

6. Last Browns jersey you owned? Who? Garrett, who else really. I own my brilliance too.🤩

7. If you could go back in time and see any Browns game in person, what game would you go to? 1964 NFL Championship Game.

8. If you could put any current NFL player on the Browns, THAT DOESN'T PLAY QUARTERBACK, who would it be? Derrick Henry and I predict you will see why in Baltimore this coming season. You can't stop a great inside runner and a great outside runner/thrower at the same time.

Your undying love for Derrick Henry is duly noted 😉

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

1. When was your first Browns game you attended in person? What do you remember from it? It was against the Saints in 1984, days after Rutigliano was fired. Shottenheimer's first NFL game as head coach. Lost 16-14, with Ozzie scoring both touchdowns. I remember the cat walks in the upper deck, how incredibly big Cleveland Stadium was, and how absolutely scary and bombed out Cleveland looked on the way to the Stadium in the 80s. 

2. When was your last Browns game you attended in person? Any good/funny anecdotes from it? Against the Bears this last season. Windy, rainy game, Bears fan in front of us (with his Browns buddy) finished off a bottle of bourbon between them. He started talking mad shit when they jumped ahead, and we gave it to him so hard when the Browns pulled out the win. He looked like he wanted to cry. Good times. (Post script: Didn't realize until I got home how close we came to losing the game on the last play Hail Mary. The play happened right in front of us, but all the players blocked how close the one WR came to catching it)

3. First favorite Browns player? Who was the Browns player you first really liked? I was born in 1975, so I kind of came in at the end of the Sipe years... really became a fan around the time I went to my first game, and I had two definite favorite players, one on offense, one on defense: Earnest Byner and Eddie "The Assassin" Johnson. 

4. Last (current) favorite Browns player not named Nick Chubb? 😁 Joltin' Joel Bitonio! 

5. First Browns jersey you owned? Who was the player? There's a photo somewhere of me dressed up as Brian Sipe for Halloween. It was one of those cheap knock-off jerseys you'd get at KMart back in the days before actual team jerseys were readily available. 

6. Last Browns jersey you owned? Who? I received a Nick Chubb 1946-style white jersey for Jesus' birthday in 2022. It pairs well with my brown Nick Chubb jersey. 

7. If you could go back in time and see any Browns game in person, what game would you go to? I think it would have to be the 1950 NFL Championship Game. Graham drives the Browns down the field to set up a Groza last minute winning field goal to make the Browns NFL champions in their first year in the league.

8. If you could put any current NFL player on the Browns, THAT DOESN'T PLAY QUARTERBACK, who would it be? Man, I think Chris Jones or some other stud DTackle would be a great idea. Then again, Tyreek Hill would be awesome to pair up with Cooper. 

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Damn, we have a guy on here who actually saw Otto Graham play in person. I can't imagine there's a ton of Browns fans around that can say that.

Which explains why you wouldn't remember whose jersey was your first Browns one... it was probably 20-25 years later before team merchandise started becoming "a thing", in the late 70s or so. 

LOL....you do have to have a little age on you.  As for jerseys, yeah, it was just a Browns jersey, no names, just numbers.  I think mine was in the 50's.  I don't remember the exact number, I have slept since then.

• Upvote 1

On 5/11/2024 at 9:57 AM, Dutch Oven said:

1. When was your first Browns game you attended in person? What do you remember from it? BROWNS Colts MNF 1988.  Went with my Dad - Mom wasn’t happy it was a school night I think I was in the second grade.  

2. When was your last Browns game you attended in person? Any good/funny anecdotes from it? Browns Rams last year.  Complete disaster. Caught in traffic barely got in before the opening kick. 

3. First favorite Browns player? Who was the Browns player you first really liked?  Ernest Byner…Gerald Ice Cube McNeil 

Bitonio 

Cribbs

Chubb

Browns Jets 87 playoff comeback. 

Penei Sewell.  Position of need and he’s very good and a mean SOB

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I remember my parents going to the Ticketmaster at Chapel Hill Mall in 1987 (in a Sears? JCPenneys?) and buying tickets for the Monday Night game vs Denver, this was right after The Drive @SdBacker80. Then right before the game, the players went on strike (or the owners locked them out?) and that was the one Browns game cancelled that season. They would play the next three games with replacements, the Browns going 2-1 in those games. I would have turned 12 that season.

On 5/11/2024 at 12:57 PM, Dutch Oven said:

1. When was your first Browns game you attended in person? What do you remember from it?  October 10th 1976 was the 1st time I saw them play in Cleveland. The Browns beat Pittsburgh 18-16 on the day most remembered for Joe Turkey Jones body slamming Terry Bradshaw.  The thing I remember most was Jerry Sherk and Walter Johnson dominating he line of scrimmage. Meanwhile little known QB David Mays was the fill-in starter and winning QB for the Browns that day. We had Standing Room Only tickets and I don't think I'll ever beat that experience as outrageous as it sounds. The Browns were 1-3 heading into that game and that win turned their season around.  They finished 9-5.  As usual, that division was so competitive it was only good enough for 3rd place. 

2. When was your last Browns game you attended in person? Any good/funny anecdotes from it? The last game I saw in Cleveland was with Zombo when the Browns got beat bad enough by Pittsburgh I forgot the score and year attended forever. 2 good memories:  Dennis Northcutt returned a punt for a TD and I think the Browns won the coin toss decisively. The strange thing was Cowher, once treated well by our fanbase as a player and throughout his 1st NFL Coaching experience, decided he wanted to run the score up.  It just seemed weird that the 1 franchise that gave him his 1st chance as a player and more as an assistant coach - he really wanted to do something like that.  I get needing to beat a rival but that thing was over fast.  1 other funny memory. Zombo complaining to Atenears about the line to get into Panini's (?) was way too long for the power squirt he was trying to hold hostage.  Atenears said "REAL Men don't wait in line." About 20 minutes later Zombo returned to the tailgate.  Stan asked where the Hell were you?  Zombo pulled out his ticket for following Stan's advice saying "I got your REAL MEN lecture right here."   The tailgate was fun.  As always, it was great to meet and see the people you post with.

3. First favorite Browns player? Tie: Leroy Kelly and Jerry Sherk. Who was the Browns player you first really liked? Greg Pruitt. 

4. Last (current) favorite Browns player not named Nick Chubb? 😁 Tie: Joel Bitonio on offense and Myles Garrett on defense. 

5. First Browns jersey you owned? #34 Who was the player? Greg Pruitt.  Unfortunately, we didn't live in the Cleveland market.  We were 60 miles east of Buffalo; so getting jerseys began to get easier as I got older.

6. Last Browns jersey you owned? Who? Heaven help me... It was a present from my wife, #2 - Johnny Manziel.  

7. If you could go back in time and see any Browns game in person, what game would you go to?  Any/all of the 7 Pro Football Championships Otto Graham and his teammates won in his 10 year career.  If I had to narrow those down to 3 - it would be the 3 his teams won in the NFL.  I'd also like to see the one the Browns won with Jim Brown in 1964.

8. If you could put any current NFL player on the Browns, THAT DOESN'T PLAY QUARTERBACK, who would it be? Baltimore Safety Kyle Hamilton at 6-4 221 lbs. All those years of Ed Reed wasn't enough?  Now we gotta deal with this guy?  

• Like 1

1. When was your first Browns game you attended in person? What do you remember from it? Browns and the Bears in the early-mid 70's

Dick Butkus running roughshod on our porous O line and putting Mike Phipps on his ass on just about every other play

2. When was your last Browns game you attended in person? Any good/funny anecdotes from it?  Last year against the bungles.. We won the game..

3. First favorite Browns player? Who was the Browns player you first really liked? LeRoy Kelly

4. Last (current) favorite Browns player not named Nick Chubb? Joel Bitonio

5. First Browns jersey you owned? Who was the player? 66 Gene Hickerson  Oddly enough .. My pop kicked his ass in a crosstown bar lol

6. Last Browns jersey you owned? Who? Baker Mayfield.🤩

7. If you could go back in time and see any Browns game in person, what game would you go to? The Browns overtime playoff victory against the Jets.. Can't thank Mark Gastineau enough for giving us the game

8. If you could put any current NFL player on the Browns, THAT DOESN'T PLAY QUARTERBACK, Aaron Donald He's a load...

On 5/11/2024 at 9:57 AM, Dutch Oven said:

1. When was your first Browns game you attended in person? What do you remember from it?

Browns 27 Cincy 6 1972. Browns recovered a fumble on the opening kickoff at the 5 yard line.Fans went nuts, I was hooked at age 9.

Browns 31 Jax 27

Jerry Sherk & Greg Pruitt

Njoku

Sipe

Felix Wright

Browns 26 Steelers 24 1972

Jamaar Chase or Maxx Crosby

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Flugel said:

6. Last Browns jersey you owned? Who? Heaven help me... It was a present from my wife, #2 - Johnny Manziel.  

I would pay money - good money - to have seen the look on your face when you tore into the gift wrap and opened THAT box. 🤣

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Felix Wright

That is a great totally random player for your last jersey! He was an underrated player

• Upvote 1

On 5/11/2024 at 11:57 AM, Dutch Oven said:

NOW THIS IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT

<<1. When was your first Browns game you attended in person? What do you remember from it?>>

Eagles game about '62. 2 memories. My Dad bought me a stadium horn. I put it up toy lips and started shouting p t p t p t. Not realizing that the pttttt ptttttt meant I was supposed to make the fart sound. A guy in front of us turned around and taught me the right way. He then encouraged me every two-minute to blow that horn. I got lightheaded. Man was I a dumb fuck on that day.

I also remember that some guy had a heart attack and collapsed in front of the bathroom.

<2. When was your last Browns game you attended in person? Any good/funny anecdotes from it?> 

Inaugural opener. I was with Kathy Hutchins, Doug Jackson, and Eric Snodgrass. At the moment of silence just before the national Anthem, I convinced my friends to shout out, at the top of our lungs....KORDELL'S A HOMO. It got echo, it was that quiet.

On 5/11/2024 at 11:57 AM, Dutch Oven said:

<3. First favorite Browns player? Who was the Browns player you first really liked? >

Jim Brown

<<4. Last (current) favorite Browns player not named Nick Chubb? >>😁

<<5. First Browns jersey you owned? Who was the player?>>

Sipe. First and only.

<7. If you could go back in time and see any Browns game in person, what game would you go to?>

The 1999 Innaugural. KS Hutchins and Stan were still with us.

<<8. If you could put any current NFL player on the Browns, THAT DOESN'T PLAY QUARTERBACK, who would it be?>>

WATT

Good thread Dutch !   I'll get caught up this week.   🏈

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

That is a great totally random player for your last jersey! He was an underrated player

He was pretty clutch in a short career. A few pick 6s, & blocked punts. Totally under rated, I loved watching him make plays.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2024 at 12:57 PM, Dutch Oven said:

1. During the Belichick years my aunt scored some Browns v. Broncos tickets in Cleveland and we up and backed it from Cincy. It was notably Kosar’s last game starting for the Browns. He was replaced by the green nut during the game, and as you can imagine it did’t go well for our guys.

2. Technically this year, the last game in Cincy when some dude whose name l have forgotten started for us. Things also didn’t go well that game for us, but we were playoff bound and tickets were cheap. Still kinda cool seeing a Browns game in January. 

3. I guess it would have been Kosar. 

4. Dang, l haven’t decided yet. I sorta tabbed Taki squared as my guy the last few years so l gotta pick a new fave. Maybe Owusu-Koramoah?

5. Some huge ass like triple XL Browns jersey ended up in my possession years ago, had 99 and “Browns” on the back. I maybe wore it once. It was a bit too big for me. 

6. Nick Chubb!

7. Maybe the game 2 Halloweens ago when we walloped the Bengals. I love it when we wallop the Bengals. 

8. I’ll go Sauce Gardener. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

1. During the Belichick years my aunt scored some Browns v. Broncos tickets in Cleveland and we up and backed it from Cincy. It was notably Kosar’s last game starting for the Browns. He was replaced by the green nut during the game, and as you can imagine it did’t go well for our guys.

That was the infamous "Bernie literally drew up a touchdown pass in the dirt" game. 

I was 16 I think, and watched it from a sports bar that was located in part of the old BF Goodrich factory just south of downtown Akron.

Then he was gone. 

• Upvote 2

• mjp28 pinned this topic
On 5/14/2024 at 5:27 PM, Dutch Oven said:

That was the infamous "Bernie literally drew up a touchdown pass in the dirt" game. 

I was 16 I think, and watched it from a sports bar that was located in part of the old BF Goodrich factory just south of downtown Akron.

Then he was gone. 

This sparked two good memories: 

1) My Mom marched into 5th grade basketball practice that Monday and told me the Browns cut Bernie. I cried in front of the entire team, I didn't care. The Browns were my world.

2) Once I turned 10, my Dad would take me with him to the bar so we could watch the Browns on satellite. These days there are ALOT more Browns fans in Central Indiana. But 30 years ago, it felt like the nearest fans were in Dayton.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, AP1 said:

This sparked two good memories: 

1) My Mom marched into 5th grade basketball practice that Monday and told me the Browns cut Bernie. I cried in front of the entire team, I didn't care. The Browns were my world.

2) Once I turned 10, my Dad would take me with him to the bar so we could watch the Browns on satellite. These days there are ALOT more Browns fans in Central Indiana. But 30 years ago, it felt like the nearest fans were in Dayton.

Were your parents from NE Ohio originally? How did your family end up Browns fans? 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Were your parents from NE Ohio originally? How did your family end up Browns fans? 

NW PA. 

Fourth generation fan. My Great Grandpa worked on the railroad and he would take my Grandpa on the train to Cleveland to watch the AAFC Browns.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, AP1 said:

NW PA. 

Fourth generation fan. My Great Grandpa worked on the railroad and he would take my Grandpa on the train to Cleveland to watch the AAFC Browns.

Oh yes, I remember talking to you about this before.

I have friends who live in Erie and the Oil City/Franklin areas. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Oh yes, I remember talking to you about this before.

I have friends who live in Erie and the Oil City/Franklin areas. 

There used to be multiple Browns Backers clubs in NW PA, Western NY and as far East as Syracuse (where Jim Browns and Ernie Davis both played college ball). I'm guessing there still is; but the Sunday Ticket lessens the need to leave one's home to watch them these days.  Just so people understand, NYC was about a 6 hour ride from Rochester, NY.  However, Cleveland was only about a 4-4.5 hour drive depending upon which side of Rochester one was travelling from. A couple other variables that recruited Rochester area attention/fans to the Browns were Otto Graham playing Pro Basketball for the Rochester Royals in 1946; and of course Jim Brown and Ernie Davis playing college football nearby in Syracuse.   Most of all, my dad was addicted to Paul Brown's football program so I didn't get all adorable fictional bedtime stories other kids got.  Oh no, I got Otto Graham one night, Jim Brown another, Gary Collins another, then Marion Motley and Lou The Toe, etc...

You're probably thinking why couldn't Flugel's dad have been a Steelers' fan?  This place gets terrifying when his son thinks he knows what he's talking about in here...

• Haha 2

October 21st, 1973.  I was 9. The stadium smelled like beer and got my first hotdog with mustard instead of ketchup ... Made me feel grown up. There were some guys in their 20s sitting behind my Dad and I making fun of Leroy Kelly, my favorite player, calling him old and slow. I turned around and gave them an earful and the rest of the section applauded me. Brown mauled them.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197310210cle.htm

Miami 2022. Ate my first Marijuana gummy. They mailed us.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202211130mia.htm

Leroy Kelly. Then Greg Pruitt. Then Brian Sipe. Then I got as old as the players and it seemed weird to have a "favorite player".  But ... Bernie Kosar.

Myles Garrett

I had Kelly, Pruitt and Sipe "shirts" with their number on it growing up, but I don't believe I bought an actual jersey until the Browns same back in 99 ... Tim Couch

I currently have Hanford Dixon and Leroy Kelly. My favorite Jersey was Meehan 44

Probably 64 Championship just to experience winning the Title.

I think lining up Micah Parsons with Myles would be fun. Option 2 would be Justin Jefferson.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

These stories of everyone's first Browns games at old Cleveland Stadium is making me sentimental. It was beat up, smelled funny with chipped paint and rusty steel and held together with duct tape and Browns fan's tears, but I mean this sincerely when I say:

If you are a Browns fan that never got to see a football game at Cleveland Stadium, you truly missed out. It was magnificent dump. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/12/2024 at 8:56 AM, Dutch Oven said:

I remember the cat walks in the upper deck, how incredibly big Cleveland Stadium was, and how absolutely scary and bombed out Cleveland looked on the way to the Stadium in the 80s. 

for me, the early 70's when we took the rapid transit (train) from Shaker Hts  to the Terminal Tower had the same dreary look 

On 5/13/2024 at 11:17 PM, Bob806 said:

He was pretty clutch in a short career. A few pick 6s, & blocked punts. Totally under rated, I loved watching him make plays.

he was good! Felix Wright came to the Vikings for about a year in 1991, but the Browns had his best career year(s) 

Dec 14  1980 Met Stadium https://www.footballdb.com/games/boxscore/cleveland-browns-vs-minnesota-vikings-1980121403

cold day, Browns with Sipe, Vikings with Kramer and what seemed to be a sure victory for the Browns and a playoff berth

until  2min Tommy put together a drive that ended with Ahmad Rashads game winning TD catch from a tip .. 

2. When was your last Browns game you attendeat d in person? Any good/funny anecdotes from it? 

Dec 17 1989  CLE  Municipal  https://www.footballdb.com/games/boxscore/minnesota-vikings-vs-cleveland-browns-1989121705

TD/OT winner by LB VanWaiters flip from holder on fake fieldgoal attempt in the dawgpound endzone -very cold and snowy weekend 

friends from work and i drank the plane ride dry (probably just cut-off by NW Airlines)  on the friday arrival - too much snow in Cle and multiple circiling around

Hopkins Int haha 

then gameday my friends who had their horns and yellow braids vikes gear on almost got into some fights at the mens room  

Bill Nelson  / Gary Collins /  Paul Warfield / Leroy Kelly  hard to pick just one

current players are all kids - Im too old to have such favorites such when i was younger (like Zombo said) 

but Id say oline guys like Bitonio or Teller, great in thier own right but the kind who arent in the spotlight

a gift by my son in law a few years back- asked me what browns jersey i'd want, and instead of going classic level players 

I went with (eegads)  Kellen Winslow II

none- one mistake is enuf -  I have a 70's version brown orange wool beanie with an orange ball on the top,

and a fitted baseball cap with the brownie emblem 

1964 Championship

I dont know, anyone (BPA) who could contribute and not be a drama queen or lockerroom problem

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3