THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Question

Mr. Broken

Guest Masters
Browns offseason agenda:

1. Impact linebacker high in the draft. Might be in the middle. Could be Rey M.

2. Veteran cover guy to start opposite Wright. Put McDonald in the slot. Now a team strength.

3. Find a way to scheme Wimbley and Hall to get sacks. They should be able to do that.

4. Do you draft a tailback yet, with Harrison showing up so well? I'd pass and get Harrison more reps.

5. I think we draft a right side blocker fairly high up.

6. Need a serious 3rd receiver (assuming Stallworth is the #2) through free agency.

1. I'll take a LB, but not Rey M. Don't need another dude the is more about big hits. I'll take Coushings (sp?) before him.

2. Yup.

3. Yup.

4. Later in the draft. I think Harrison can do what D. Williams does in CAR.

5. Wouldn't hurt. Though need DL if available.

6. Yup.

Guest Masters
would love love see us pick up Clay Matthews Jr if he's around in the second round... great motor... fast... gets to the QB... reminds of--- his dad.

That one I'd be on too, even over your guy Rey M. Clay's name/number gets called out far more than Rey.

And god that was painful at the OSU/USC game to keep hearing his name called for making stops. Nothing worse than having a great Browns LBs name called while watching OSU implode.

Guest Aloysius
Ive lost track of how many draft selections we have traded away, can anyone tell me how many are left and in what rounds?
We gave up our 3rd Rounder to get Rucker and our 5th Rounder to get Hubbard. That leaves us with picks in Rounds 1, 2, 4, 6, and 7.

But we'll probably end up with an additional pick or two based on what we get for DA and/or if we trade Winslow.

Guest Aloysius
Browns offseason agenda:

1. Impact linebacker high in the draft. Might be in the middle. Could be Rey M.

Yeah, we're going to be talking LB's a lot come April (or we can start now!).

I think OLB is a strong possibility, especially if Brian Orakpo is still on the board.

If we go inside, Rey Rey & Aaron Curry seem the likely targets. We probably would have to trade back into the middle/bottom of the 1st Round to get Brandon Spikes, or we could trade down in the 2nd and nab Eric Norwood (a guy I really like). Both Spikes & Norwood are juniors, but they'll probably end up declaring for the draft.

Not as high as Masters is on Cushing, especially as a 3-4 ILB. But he could also be a possibility.

2. Veteran cover guy to start opposite Wright. Put McDonald in the slot. Now a team strength.
I like this idea in concept, but I'm not sure that there will be any FA CB's that are significantly better than McDonald.

Phillip Buchanon, Jabari Greer, and Dunta Robinson were the biggest name FA's I could find. Buchanon & Greer are coming from Cover 2 defenses, and Robinson is coming off a severe knee injury.

Maybe we end up trading for a guy. Winslow could be bait for getting a top-flight CB. If not, then we might be in the market for a Round 1 guy. And given his CB-S versatility, Malcolm Jenkins would make a lot of sense.

That said, I'd prefer we go with a linebacker (either inside or outside) with our first pick.

Guest Aloysius

Greg Davis has a good list of free agent DB's.

Here's an interesting one that I missed:

Chris Gamble, UFA, Carolina Panthers

Gamble may not be the first player to come to mind when discussing top cornerbacks, but he has certainly strung together some really good seasons of play for the Panthers. He had six picks in his rookie season and followed it up with seven in ’05. He’s young, athletic, and has shown quality instincts for much of his early career. He is only 25, which will give teams an incentive to offer a long-term deal. It will be hard for Carolina to keep Gamble around if he has another strong season and isn’t signed to an extension before free agency.

1. Great idea, if we got Clay Jr. in the second then we could address a different need in the first.

2. If there's no better options then a first round cb could be a good choice. It took Wright a few games to get in synch, but I'd be okay with that option.

3. Another good idea, would switching to a 4-3 help?

4. A day 2 running back might not be a bad idea, especially as JL gets another year older.

5. Agreed.

6. This could be avoided if JJ comes back (I heard he was returning next year, but I could be wrong there), but I wouldn't mind potentially drafting a reciever known for having good hands.

So my position analysis would be...

1 - Linebacker/CB

2 - whichever we didn't take in round 1

4 - RT/RG

6 - RB/WR

7 - whichever we didn't take in round 6

Ive lost track of how many draft selections we have traded away, can anyone tell me how many are left and in what rounds?
We gave up our 3rd Rounder to get Rucker and our 5th Rounder to get Hubbard. That leaves us with picks in Rounds 1, 2, 4, 6, and 7.

But we'll probably end up with an additional pick or two based on what we get for DA and/or if we trade Winslow.

That sounds correct.

As much as I agreed with Winslow a week ago, I am beginning to think that won't happen now that BQ is at the helm.

I do think it possible we float the idea around the league we would trade Edwards.

Either way we should get a nice pick for DA and for Edwards/Winslow.....both scenarios should net 2nd rounders.

Guest Masters
Browns offseason agenda:

For what it's worth Doug Dieken has said numerous times that when Isaac Sowells has played RT he has played well.

Doug must be drinking with Kosar when he watches games.

Browns offseason agenda:

For what it's worth Doug Dieken has said numerous times that when Isaac Sowells has played RT he has played well.

Doug must be drinking that Kosar when he watches games.

Yea I had to scratch my head too.But I'm sure Doug knows more than I do about Tackle play. Maybe he meant better than Shaffer which isn't saying much.

Guest Masters
Yea I had to scratch my head too.But I'm sure Doug knows more than I do about Tackle play. Maybe he meant better than Shaffer which isn't saying much.

Ain't that the truth.

Archived