THE BROWNS BOARD

More good news

Adz1987

The Browns signed running back Chris Jennings to the active roster from the practice squad and placed running back James Davis on injured reserve, the team announced on Saturday afternoon.

Jennings was signed by the Browns on August 18, 2009 and rushed for 63 yards on 18 carries and added seven receptions for 69 yards in three preseason games. He led the Browns with 59 rushing and 42 receiving yards in a 26-23 preseason win at Chicago on September 3. Jennings was signed to the Browns' practice squad on September 7. He was originally signed as an undrafted free agent by the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League in 2008. In two seasons at the University of Arizona (2006-07), Jennings rushed for 607 yards on 158 carries and four touchdowns, while notching 34 receptions for 262 receiving yards with one touchdown. He also attended Arizona Western University in 2005, where he rushed for 488 yards. Born on December 12, 1985 in Yuma, Arizona, the 5-10, 218-pound Jennings attended Fairview High School in Ashland, Kentucky.

and

The Browns will have to wait until next season to see if rookie running back James Davis can live up to his preseason hype. Davis, who was injured in the first regular season game, was placed on injured reserve Saturday with a shoulder injury and will miss the rest of the season. It doesn't help matters that starting running back Jamal Lewis is doubtful for tomorrow's game against the Bengals with a hamstring injury. To replace Davis, the Browns signed first-year back Chris Jennings off their practice squad. Jennings was signed by the Browns on August 18, 2009 and rushed for 63 yards on 18 carries in three preseason games. He also caught seven passes for 69 yards. Davis, the sixth-round pick out of Clemson, generated excitement in preseason when he averaged 7.8 yards on his 24 carries, including an 81-yard TD run. He also caught seven passes for 44 yards. But he had a rude awakening in the opener, when he gained just five yards on four carries with a long gain of 2. He was also injured in the first quarter of that game when cornerback Antoine Winfield drilled him after a one-yard shovel pass. Davis was inactive the following week in Denver and rushed for 10 yards on five carries in Baltimore. Jennings led the Browns with 59 rushing and 42 receiving yards in a 26-23 preseason win at Chicago on September 3. He was signed to the Browns’ practice squad on September 7. He was originally signed as an undrafted free agent by the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League in 2008. In two seasons at the University of Arizona (2006-07), Jennings rushed for 607 yards on 158 carries and four touchdowns, while notching 34 receptions for 262 receiving yards with one touchdown. He also attended Arizona Western University in 2005, where he rushed for 488 yards. Born on December 12, 1985 in Yuma, Arizona, the 5-10, 218-pound Jennings attended Fairview High School in Ashland, Kentucky. Jennings will wear No. 34.

Dunno, but it's official as it gets. Sucks, was excited about him and Harrison. Then again, hopefully Jennings can prove a point.

Ultimately though. With Jamal being injured and, well, not being that good anymore, we are REALLY thin at RB.

Crrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just saw this on another website. It's official. Can't we catch a f*cking break already!!!! Can't beleve we passed on Sheets and cut Peerman for a kicker replacement. I think I'll be coming to the TAVERN already 3 sheets to the wind tomorrow. I think I'll start my morning by putting PBR on my Cheerios. Or....I'll just say Screw it and go fly fishing for the day. So low is the depth of our misery.

Dunno, but it's official as it gets. Sucks, was excited about him and Harrison. Then again, hopefully Jennings can prove a point.

Ultimately though. With Jamal being injured and, well, not being that good anymore, we are REALLY thin at RB.

Everybody has always been complaining about giving Harrison his opportunity anbd seeing what he really had. Now we get the chance. Still have Peerman on the active roster and now Jennings. When Lewis comes back one will have to be released.

I really want to see how they use Harrison. Hopefully it will be more draws, screens, swing passes and sweeps. I certainly don't want to see them pounding him up the middle.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8131ca40

NFL.com Wire Reports

The Cleveland Browns' backfield took another hit Saturday.

James Davis, RB

Cleveland Browns

Career Statistics

Games/Starts: 2/0

Carries: 9

Yards: 15

The Browns placed rookie James Davis on season-ending injured reserve, leaving four-year veteran Jerome Harrison as the only experienced running back on the roster entering Sunday's AFC North showdown with the Cincinnati Bengals.

The Browns replaced Davis, a sixth-round draft pick out of Clemson, by signing rookie running back Chris Jennings to the active roster from the practice squad. Regular starter Jamal Lewis is listed as doubtful to play Sunday because of a hamstring injury.

Davis, who led Cleveland in rushing during the preseason, hurt a shoulder on a hit by Minnesota Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield during the season opener. Davis was inactive for the next week's game in Denver and rushed for 10 yards on five carries last Sunday in Baltimore.

Harrison, who most likely will start against the Bengals, has 508 rushing yards and one touchdown in 35 NFL games, two of them starts. He started last week against the Ravens when Lewis couldn't go and gained 52 yards on 16 carries.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

I can't say I'm not shocked over this. We don't even know whats wrong with him. :unsure:

I guess this is good news for Harrison, though. I hope to see a lot of good things out of him on Sunday.

he may be older than league average T, but there is NO substitute for durability. it allowed Clay Mathews to last a long time in the league, and it has allowed Lewis to stick around 9 himself so far.

naturally productivity drops off but you should still be thankful the guys on the roster IMO.

we've seen it so many times. so much potential>>>no sustainability.

Guest Masters
Well I for one am intrigued to see if Jennings will get any PT, and if so how he'll do. I liked him in that one preseason game just for the fact he ran extremely hard, and had some nice moves. It wasn't like this guy was just running through huge holes the offensive line created. He fought for all of his yards. Like I said in the other thread, I'm not crowning him anything yet by a long shot, but he may pleasantly surprise us.

I am far more interested to see what Harrison does with this opportunity, that many of us have wanted to see him have from his first season.

Everybody has always been complaining about giving Harrison his opportunity anbd seeing what he really had. Now we get the chance. Still have Peerman on the active roster and now Jennings. When Lewis comes back one will have to be released.

I really want to see how they use Harrison. Hopefully it will be more draws, screens, swing passes and sweeps. I certainly don't want to see them pounding him up the middle.

The Browns' site still has Peerman listed on the PS.

James Davis out for the year! Per ESPN

Posted by ESPN.com’s James Walker

Davis

The running game of the Cleveland Browns suffered another blow Saturday when the team announced rookie tailback James Davis is out for the season. The Browns put Davis on injured reserve and didn’t specify the reason. But Davis has been dealing with a shoulder injury and has been in and out of the lineup since Week 1.

Davis led the Browns in rushing during an impressive preseason. The sixth-round pick from Clemson was the team’s biggest surprise in training camp but was never able to get going during the regular season.

Cleveland (0-3) signed Chris Jennings from its practice squad to replace Davis. Starting running back Jamal Lewis (hamstring) is doubtful for Sunday’s game against the Cincinnati Bengals (2-1). So backup Jerome Harrison likely will be the featured back for the second straight week.

I like jennings as well...questionable that we will see him today unless harrison gets dinged up..the kid earned every yard he got in preseason and i believe is worthy of the opportunity he is presented with..

Its way past time for this coach and his staff to get creative a little innovation can go a long way...heres to hoping daboll doesnt rope DA into the small minded schemes that they put BQ into...;)

Harrison might make it 1 more game before getting hurt also.

Whats Terry Kirby doing these days. William Green shouldn't be that out of shape yet, anybody have his phone #.

Hell if Herschal Walker can fight MMA, surely he could run for us.

Maybe more than 1 game, but he will soon be out!

Archived