THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini urges Browns fans to be patient

BrownIndian

BEREA: Browns owner Randy Lerner spent the first 30 minutes of practice Friday off to the side chatting with coach Eric Mangini. Although they enjoyed a laugh and appeared to be having a light-hearted conversation, the national media's hailstorm of negativity about the Browns' 0-3 start remains.

Before practice, Mangini had nothing but positives to say about his boss.

''Randy's been great. He's committed to the things that we're equally committed to. When [former Browns coach] Bill [belichick] first got to New England, there were some tough times there. It was tough at the beginning of the next year. But I know how we approached it, I know the way that we worked. It took time. But when it hit, it hit.''

Mangini went on to urge all Browns followers to believe in the plan in place — even if things get worse before they get better.

''Throughout that whole process, you're improving the team, you're improving as coaches and you're improving the organization,'' Mangini said. ''There are certain things I learned from my experience being here in [Cleveland] in 1995, then transitioning to New York with [bill] Parcells, then transitioning to New England with [belichick]. I feel I got a real good perspective on it and was lucky to be around those situations to understand the difficulties you encounter and the importance of having a plan, having a vision and sticking to it.''

But sticking to it isn't always easy, and the temptation is there to take the easy way out.

''Traditionally, taking shortcuts usually doesn't result in long-term success,'' Mangini said. ''All of our parents tell us that all the time and we tell our kids that. You gotta work at it and be committed to it. There's going to be difficult times and challenges you have to overcome. But you work through it, keep at it and good things happen.''

Mangini knows that in trying to rebuild an organization, it will not happen overnight.

''It's a process of building an organization for the long term and getting better in each phase — whether it's coaching, player acquisition, salary cap, operations, video — there's all different components that go into building an organization,'' he said.

Secondary shakeup?

With starting defensive back Brandon McDonald giving up big plays in each game so far, Mike Adams could take over for McDonald at cornerback Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals. Adams also might spell struggling starter Hank Poteat on nickel packages.

''Giving up big plays has to stop,'' Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan said, although not particularly singling out McDonald. ''If we're in a three-deep coverage and they throw deep, we're looking for the turnover not the completion for 18 yards. When you really look at [the problems on defense], it's big plays and missing tackles in the running game that have led to big runs.''

Adams wouldn't say if he will start, but promised to be ready if and when his name is called.

''If they ask me to play corner, I can do it,'' he said. ''I can hold up anywhere.''

Throwing on target

One focus in practice this week has been working with quarterback Derek Anderson to cut down on his interceptions.

''It's important to understand when to take a calculated risk and when to just throw it away and go to the next play,'' Mangini said. ''You never want to take away a quarterback's ability to make a decision based on what he sees. You just want to make him conscious of the difference between this is a good risk and this risk is high-percentage for what the rewards are going to be.''

A part of Anderson's problem could be locking on to a receiver too early.

''What you want to do is be able to anticipate where the route is going to be,'' Mangini said. ''And in doing that, if you know you're going left, being able to bring the coverage over to the right with eyes initially. Some guys can do it for a long time like Brett [Favre]. He's a guy who would stare over here then whip it back over there. Other guys will [give] a smaller look off where they just hold the secondary off for a second [before] coming back to where you're going. Some guys will telegraph it a little more. But they are made aware of it and they work on it.''

Daboll under fire

A portion of the criticism of the Browns from the national media has centered on first-year coordinator Brian Daboll. Daboll, 34, has been under fire for leading an offense that has scored just 29 points so far this season, including a combined nine points in the past two games.

Asked to self-evaluate the job he's done so far, Daboll was blunt.

''[it's] not good enough, not even close to good enough,'' he said. ''We haven't scored but one touchdown. There's been a lot of calls I've been very happy with, and there's some calls I wish I had back.''

Improvement needed

Ryan said he's spent the week looking to ''clean up'' the team's sloppy play on defense.

''Last week with three walk-in runs, that's unacceptable,'' Ryan said. ''Those runs were the result of a lack of communication. But I haven't lost confidence in the fact that we will have a great defense. [And] when it comes together, it's a thing of beauty. But great things, they don't happen overnight.''

At least daboll and ryan manned up however manflaky is a scumbag who blames everyone else but himself and lerner is a scumbag that feels he has to have no personal accountability to the fans...hearing the owners take could be somewhat relieving hearing mangini talk is like a broken record from the land of oz where everything is just honky dory...a light hearted conversation with the owner in a time of team crisis like this is proof lerner doesnt give a rats ass about this team..

Manfaggot is failing to do his job and lerner is laughing and joking with him...we are in some serious trouble..lets just hope there is no wind in cleveland and DA can connect to edwards because its up to the players to make something happen they have no head coach with a realistic plan..and yup lots of patience will be needed ..about 5 years worth to get to a middle of the road team...

Between the knee jerk reactions of keeping the revolving door open and runnning everybody out of town I have to ask; what did you expect?

I would think everybody realized that this was a rebuilding program, from the ground up, so why the tar and feathers?

Your information is from journalists that really don't know what's going on inside the locker room.

I'm sorry but I really didn't think we were going to the palyoffs and I don't see a team overloaded with talent underachieving.

I see a handful of core players and some solid looking young guys. I see the rookies in practice getting worked into the schemes and would expect them to be on the field the second half of the season. Did you expect more in 3 games?

I think Mangini expected them to be more competitive but he didn't expect Quinn to totally shit his pants. So, anybody who thinks Quinn got a quick hook, please go back and review the game films. The offense was totally lost in space. There is no better way to lose a team then to continue to let them flounder without trying to make changes.

Personally, I wanted to see Quinn and don't think Anderson is the answer, but when your veterans come to you and say let's make a change so we have a chance to be competitive and maybe win, you respect them. that's how you get guys to buy into your system.

It isn't about Quinn or Anderson, it's about trying to dispell the losing attitude that prevails. Players haven't bought into Mangini's system yet and he has to win to get them to feel good about the work they put in and to get them to believe this team is going in the right direction. Sorry, but Anderson gives them the best opportunity to win. If Quinn was just partly productive he could have stayed with him but the offense was terrible. Not all Quinn's fault but without a running game and a premier WR Quinn was in big trouble from the beginning. Andeson is a gunslinger and will definately lose some games because of that mentality, but he gives this team the best chance to win.

I'm not saying Quinn is done and is a failure. Quinn needs to be put into the right system and he can become a legit NFL starting QB. The Browns at this point don't have the support needed for Quinn to be productive.

Is it Mangini's fault that fans got overly optimistic about this season? This team had hit rock bottom at week 17 last year. Mangini has taken over a piece of shit team and has done very well, IMO, starting to rebuild it.

So, fans can get all over his ass but I ask again, what did you expect this year right out of the box? Maybe, just maybe, you should reserve your venom until after the season and judge it against the team that finished up last December. If there isn't any improvement or you don't see any hope on the horizon, then go ahead and get the tar and feathers ready.

I'd say pissing on Mangini is about the same as saying Obama isn't worth a shit and should be run out of office because he took over a piece of shit from Bush and hasn't solved the problems of the world in six months.

So Anderson at least can move the ball in the meantime. He'll throw more interceptions then TDs but he gives the team a chance. He doesn't need a running game, but his airing it out may provide a little bit of one. And, there will be some games like the Giants game last year with Anderson, but also some 4 Int. games. AT least the team has a chance.

Mangini has no choice. Take a honest look at the talent here without the rose colored glasses and I don't think you can really keep pissing on Mangini. BTW, didn't you all want a guy who would come in and provide some discipline to this team.

Guest Masters
Sorry, but Anderson gives them the best opportunity to win.

Here is one thing I question about the whole notion that DA gives this CLE Browns team any more of a chance to win than BQ or maybe even Ratliff at this point. Last year the CLE offense was just as poor as it is right now (including at this very point in the season). We hear how timing was off with DA/BE because of preseason injuries, Winslow and his issue, Stallworth injured, no JJ, etc. The D couldn't get off the field. The running game was almost non-existent. The Browns were losing and had very little opportunity to win then with DA at the helm, or BQ for that matter.

Flash forward to this year. The offensive weapons are no better (possibly even worse). They play calling seems just as bad. The D is just as bad. DA/BE didn't get all the time together like last year (couldn't resist, as if things are just as bad tomorrow you know someone will say that). The running game is again all but non-existen. The Browns are losing and have had very little opportunity to win.

When I look at this reality, I don't see how anyone, including the HC, can tell me DA or BQ gives the team a better opportunity to win. If DA in just as bad of circumstance last year didn't give this team any better opportunity to win games (except for the Giants game, but I think the Giants coaching staff and players have more to do with that than any thing or one on the Browns did), why would anyone think it would be any different now? Including the players in that locker room.

As to losing the locker room for not trying a change, you also lose your locker room by waffling on decisions, including what might be the most important first decision you have. Chosing your QB after spending all of the offseason, OTA's, mini-camps, and training camp.

I am in no way saying BQ gives the team a better opportunity than going with DA. But I sure don't see how I can be told w/ a straight face that either QB gives the team a better chance to win. Especially not for the HC who 3 weeks ago said the same thing about BQ that he is now about DA, which was the "he gives us the best opportunity to win" line.

PFT's take on the same article:

Mangini asks Browns fans for patience

Posted by Tom Curran on October 3, 2009 9:10 PM ET

With his team at 0-3, his offense 30th in the league in yards gained and his defense dead last in yards allowed, Browns coach Eric Mangini is -- predictably -- urging patience. And he said owner Randy Lerner is down with the direction Mangini's got the Browns headed in.

''Randy's been great," Mangini said, according to Stephanie Storm of the Akron Beacon Journal. "He's committed to the things that we're equally committed to. When [former Browns coach] Bill [belichick] first got to New England, there were some tough times there. It was tough at the beginning of the next year. But I know how we approached it, I know the way that we worked. It took time. But when it hit, it hit.''

He's right. Belichick and personnel man Scott Pioli were so disenchanted with the makeup of the Patriots when they got there in 2000 Patriots, they actually began that season with fewer than 53 players on their roster. And, when they started the 2001 season 0-2 and lost Drew Bledsoe to injury, they were widely regarded as the worst team in the league and local speculation had Belichick getting fired before the season was out.

But percolating on that Patriots roster were veterans Belichick and personnel man Scott Pioli had imported that were bringing up the level of commitment in New England. Guys like Brian Cox, Anthony Pleasant and Bobby Hamilton. They also had a future Hall of Fame quarterback itching for a chance to get on the field in Tom Brady.

In Cleveland, we've heard there's sweeping malaise and, as Mike Florio reported last month, the Browns' dysfunction may well work against them in trying to attract players going forward. And the only Brady they have just got benched this week.

We (or I, actually) don't love piling on Mangini. He's forgotten more football in a night's sleep than I've ever known andI know how hard he's worked to get where he is. I've had more than a couple of enjoyable conversations with him. But there's a severe disconnect between the coach and team-builder he's capable of being and what he's wrought so far in Cleveland.

Maybe he would have been better off if his second head coaching job came five years after being fired from his first, as Belichick's did after he got canned by the Browns. Then, maybe Mangini would have been able to formulate a different approach to the job instead of just rolling over the same philosophies and bedside manner that led to him being jettisoned by the Jets after three seasons.

For his sake, Mangini better hope Lerner is as patient as Mangini believes him to be. Because third chances don't roll around very often.

Archived