THE BROWNS BOARD

Heisman Watch: Clausen Rising

shepwrite

422 yards and another last second win will do that. Clausen's numbers are pretty sick, including 12 TDs and 2 INTs. He's ahead of Pike as far as QBs.

Best was Bested by USC again, and Heismans are won in big games. He's laid eggs two years in a row against USC. But there is a big back in Stanford with 640 yards rushing already for a team that's 3-0 in the conference and making noise.

It's a bizarre race, with nobody on the top teams feeling like a serious contender. Tebow's numbers are pretty dull and now he's dinged. 'Bama's QB is too unknown. McCoy has been okay but not Heisman-ey. Jacory throws too many picks.

I think if the vote's today, it's Clausen.

I was at the game yesterday. Yes it was a sloppy feild but Clausen is not for the Browns. Bad footwork and decisions almost cost them the game.

Ironically, the one pick recorded on the stat sheet wasn't his fault, but there were three other throws that easily could have been taken the other way. And that screen/overthrown lateral thingy wasn't too pretty.

For anyone interested, you can watch the game on hulu:

Notre Dame vs. Washington

Locker wasn't great, but I have a feeling that if the teams had swapped quarterbacks Saturday morning, the game wouldn't have been close, much less gone into OT.

As far as the Heisman goes, ESPN's CFB writers think it's essentially a two man race between Tebow and McCoy.

espn_heisman.jpg

But the USC game could change things: both in the Heisman race and the rise and fall of Clausen's draft stock.

422 yards and another last second win will do that. Clausen's numbers are pretty sick, including 12 TDs and 2 INTs. He's ahead of Pike as far as QBs.

Best was Bested by USC again, and Heismans are won in big games. He's laid eggs two years in a row against USC. But there is a big back in Stanford with 640 yards rushing already for a team that's 3-0 in the conference and making noise.

It's a bizarre race, with nobody on the top teams feeling like a serious contender. Tebow's numbers are pretty dull and now he's dinged. 'Bama's QB is too unknown. McCoy has been okay but not Heisman-ey. Jacory throws too many picks.

I think if the vote's today, it's Clausen.

Shep, tell me it isn't true! You of all people have a man-crush on a QB from Notre Dame? How ironic is that?

And what's with the love fest for ND on this board?

You gotta admit, Shep, the Heismann is a meaningless award.

Oh, I do believe it is great to acknowledge the 'best' collegiate football player - as subjective as that may by. However, I find the marketing put behind candidates to be 180-degrees removed from the spirit of the award.

More inportantly, the award has little - if any - meaning in terms of NFL performance. Some may say this is OK but, at the same time, they get all caught up in an award that MIGHT have had importance a half century ago.

Archived