THE BROWNS BOARD

Thoughts on UT-Auburn

dencyguy

The first observation is that Gus Malzahn will be a head coach sooner rather than later. It's not easy to out-scheme Monte Kiffin--Florida didn't do it--but Auburn's offense owned Tennessee's defense last night. Not only that, but Neyland Stadium's noise can wreak havoc on no-huddle offenses, causing timeouts and false starts. I think I counted two timeouts (one per half) and one false start, although I could be wrong. Malzahn did a great job of preparing for the game, and I was especially impressed by the way they mixed up their pace--sometimes they would go with a quick snap, sometimes they would run the play clock all the way down--and how it kept the defense on its heels and the influence of the crowd to a minimum. Some other thoughts:

1. Jonathan Crompton had a terrible first half, but he wasn't close to being the woest player on offense. The receivers completely sucked in the first half--dropped balls, not paying attention (one incompletion hit a guy in the face)...he threw some bad passes, but the receivers were the biggest culprits. Lane Kiffin's play calling also left a lot to be desired. Every week he talks about building Crompton's confidence, but I don't see how that will be accomplished by going out there and calling three straight passing plays, especially when we having running backs that gain about six yards a carry. Why not run on first, gain five or six, and then put yourself in a position to throw an easy screen pass for the first down?

2. ESPN was kind enough to provide a distraction for, well, the most of the game that was boring to watch from the stands. Watching Erin Andrews work the sideline, all I could think was, "Layla who?"

3. The annoying thing about this year's Vols team is that they seem to be this close to doing good things. Still, they're razor-thin at a number of positions and they have a tendency to make mistakes that come back to bite them. They're a team that you can pinpoint three or four plays each game that end up killing them. On the opening drive, they missed a FG. After scoring a TD at the end of the first half, they got the extra point blocked. Also in the first half, Crompton fumbled a snap in Tennessee's territory, but UT's defense held Auburn to a field goal. Make the kicks and it's a tie game. Hold onto the snap and it's a tie game. Make the kicks and hold onto the ball and we win.

4. Monte Kiffin can scheme with the best of them and Ed Orgeron is one of the best motivators in the business, but at some point they have to sit their players down and explain that you have to tackle, not just look for a knockout hit. Even Eric Berry got into that act last night, on a night where he had a depressingly productive game (14 tackles by a safety is a terrible number).

Dennis

I think Auburn wins.

I get the feeling all's not well in Knoxville.

As for the Gator game, I really thought your O did a terrific job of holding the ball and killing the clock. I think that had more to do with your respectable showing more than anything your D did.

I don't think Meyer was talking crap after that game....once we had a comfortable lead and you were still grinding on the ground, using time, we did the same...game over.

I don't think Meyer felt compelled to win by 40 or whatever the line was...as he said...Tn is a good team. Any time you beat a SEC team, it's a good day.

Archived