THE BROWNS BOARD

Appreciation Thread for Eric Mangini's Call to Bench Quinn

Crow

Instead of giving Quinn the eight obligatory starts before the escalator in his contract, he pulled the trigger early and didn't give up on the season. It could have easily backfired in his face but - even if we do lose this game - you cannot truthfully say that the flip has dramatically improved the team overall for the better. It was premature for Quinn certainly but this great progress has to do wonders for everyone buying into the message the coach is selling.

Give the man a break and have some patience before we run him out of town.

Give the man a break and have some patience before we run him out of town.

This is the part I agree with. The rest of this thread is garbage.

• Hieden in for Royal on TE. Steve Heiden can catch. Royal, not so much. How many drops has he had? I'm glad to see us throw to Heiden when we need him.
  • Massaquoi in for Cribbs for 2nd WR. Edwards is getting doubled up and leaves MoMass to capitalize on completions.
  • Harrison in for Lewis for RB. I was so excited to finally see Harrison contribute, and he looks excellent. I will be pissed if we see Lewis starting when he comes back.
  • DA in for Quinn for QB. DA can move the offense a lot better than Quinn can.

Make no mistake, our special teams and offense have looked better as well (holy hell, Cribbs and Rogers), but on the offense, those player substitutions were the key IMO.

• Hieden in for Royal on TE. Steve Heiden can catch. Royal, not so much. How many drops has he had? I'm glad to see us throw to Heiden when we need him.
  • Massaquoi in for Cribbs for 2nd WR. Edwards is getting doubled up leaves MoMass to capitalize on completions.
  • Harrison in for Lewis for RB. I was so excited to finally see Harrison contribute, and he looks excellent. I will be pissed if we see Lewis starting when he comes back.

Agree with the above. Special teams is what made this game close in the end however.

We also have to thank Rodgers for stopping two kicks.

Amen. I had a feeling after hearing Rogers comments during the week he was going to bring it today.

This is a bit random but from the Bengal's board:

all day to throw

no rush at all

damn wish we had their offense!

these fu*kers are goodp

3rd and 5

easy 6 yard completion!

Brat best be taking notes here!

Carson better be studying Derrick A

L-O-F'N-L

Guest Masters

I think the switch to MoMass at #2 WR over Cribbs is the move I appreciate far more at this point. Cribbs lining up at #2 was doing the passing games no favor.

DA still played terrible.. ..Ooh big shock there.. Threw an int right into coverage on 3rd down in the red zone... THROW THE DARN BALL AWAY away and kick a field goal..get points on the board.... BUT NO.. DA has to force the ball into an area there there is nothing. into double coverage. This guy never learns. Same mistakes each game.

DA did make some nice throws..but when the pressure is on..this guy folds up like a cheap chair.. and throws the ball right into coverage . I am tired of seeing this every time the guy steps on the field.. Why should we settle for this..guys are saying OH, we scored a td.. big deal.. does not matter if he contantly makes the critical mistake when the game is on the line.

DA still played terrible.. ..Ooh big shock there.. Threw an int right into coverage on 3rd down in the red zone... THROW THE DARN BALL AWAY away and kick a field goal..get points on the board.... BUT NO.. DA has to force the ball into an area there there is nothing. into double coverage. This guy never learns. Same mistakes each game.

DA did make some nice throws..but when the pressure is on..this guy folds up like a cheap chair.. and throws the ball right into coverage . I am tired of seeing this every time the guy steps on the field.. Why should we settle for this..guys are saying OH, we scored a td.. big deal.. does not matter if he contantly makes the critical mistake when the game is on the line.

We should settle for this because Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are not in our roster.

ill give you the int was bad.. the playcalling in the redzone on that drive was a bit predictable but DA still forced it.

However AT LEAST THE GAME WAS ON THE LINE...... something Quinn never even got close too.

Guest Masters
ill give you the int was bad.. the playcalling in the redzone on that drive was a bit predictable but DA still forced it.

Still better than back to back Flash package calls in the redzone.

Guest ATENEARS
  • Massaquoi in for Cribbs for 2nd WR. Edwards is getting doubled up and leaves MoMass to capitalize on completions.

Make no mistake, our special teams and offense have looked better as well (holy hell, Cribbs and Rogers), but on the offense, those player substitutions were the key IMO.

Good post ... Mangini deserves the credit for making the tough decisions.

He also demoted McDonald and it seemed to light a fire under his ass and send a message to the other DB's

I agree with this but I would have LOVED to have Jamal in there to beat them up a little bit. Plus, Harrison is so tiny, he gets arm tackled too easily. Jamal would have been a huge advantage for us.

Have you ever seen a football game in your life or do you rely on game highlights? Dude had a really good game, not excellent, but good. His numbers were what you would expect from a winning QB. Plus, he has dramatically improved his play-fake and minimizing his mistakes. Yeah he threw a pick but guess what? Every QB does. That pick by the way was more about the DB making a hell of a play than DA blowing it. I guess he and Heiden had different ideas, mid-throw he tried to bounce it off the ground and the CB made an excellent play (or did he?).

Plus, I'm pretty f'n happy we scored some points. I'm not sure how you can just dismiss that as being unimportant but whatever. And fans, including yourself, have talked about the O-line sucking and guess what? DA got sacked I believe one time, and that was his fault he ran into it. On top of that, he made a rookie WR look like Marvin Harrison. DA got him the ball one-on-one and it worked.

DA did make some nice throws..but when the pressure is on..this guy folds up like a cheap chair

Dude, he has more game winning drives than Carson Palmer. And do you recall him forcing anything after that CB made that play? And do you recall the 5 drops? DA did what a QB needs to do to win football games. The fact that we lost by a field goal after 85 minutes of football, simply is not because DA played a "terrible" game.

Ri-goddamn-diculous.

I'm just stoked to see some EMotion by the Browns coaching staff

This is what you get once you get the owner's boy off the field and actually get control of your football team. Thank you Brady honks for buying up them tickets so fast!

That's total crap....DA played well....and guess what?.....when that happens, it's contagious and then the defense plays well....and the special teams....and the o-line. From what I see, DA is the best we have, so that's why he is in there. He's not Peyton Manning....never will be. But when he's playing well, and his receivers actually catch the ball, he's very good. Good luck to Quinn....I was hoping he would establish himself as the guy, but he hasn't done it. I just hope we get something decent in return when we trade him.

Not sure we should be giving credit just yet.

The other way to view this is that he made horrific player evaluations in preseason and may continue to do so going forward.

Let's wait a bit before giving a guy credit for fixing something that arguably shouldn't have been screwed up in the first place.

While i dont think its right to dedicate to a bench rot rookie and then pull em 10 quarters later i was for bringing DA in the second half and seeing if he could make a difference...and he has but DA is getting better formations and better targets to work with then what they gave BQ not to mention some gelling thats in place now...

BQ is far from having an honest and fair evaluation given to him and expect mangini to give him a legit shot at sometime in the future after DA has back to back bad games or something...;)

I dont appreciate mangini pulling the newb so soon i dont disagree that he did because.. so far DA is giving the team a spark now if daboll would quit throwing icewater playcalling on it this team will ignite! ;)

DA is getting better formations and better targets to work with then what they gave BQ not to mention some gelling thats in place now...

What???

Better formatiions?

Better targets?

Gelling is in place?

Huh?

MoMass was unproven. Harrison had his FIRST 100 yard game, another unproven. Better execution, not better formations. They gelled because the offense could sustain drives because of ...............................the QB!

I have heard Quinn didn't play with MoMass, that he didn't have the benefit of this guys skills. What skills? We wouldn't have know about him without DA in there.

Amazing how this team plays relatively well with one QB, shitty with another, and yet Quinn played with a different offense.

For a guy playing his 3rd season, you have to admit Quinn looked like a bad rookie. Not even a competant rookie. Doesn't mean his is done, but he didn't make plays when he had them. Tougher teams? Weaker teams? Doesn't matter, show me something.

Man I am the biggest Quinn supporter out there, and I detest DA's regressive habits, but this is Charlie Frye all over again.

Guest Masters
I have heard Quinn didn't play with MoMass, that he didn't have the benefit of this guys skills.

What people mean is MoMass in as the target opposite BE in all the 2 wide sets. The previous 3 games have had Cribbs as the #2 WR. Cribbs in that roll wasn't doing the offense any favors.

Archived