THE BROWNS BOARD

Was anyone else puzzled by the punt at the end of the 4th?

EdwardG

I thought that 4th and 10 play with 19-20 seconds left was odd... Why wouldn't you go for that? You're 0-3, you know that your chances of converting the 4th and 10 are greater than their chances of getting the ball back with 10-15 seconds left and getting into FG position starting from your 40... Why do you punt? I guess I could see it if you think your chances are greater than theirs in OT (say you have a great QB), but we do not.

It figures that the Bengals get the ball in nearly the same situation, except with over a minute left, and they go for it and succeed...

I thought that 4th and 10 play with 19-20 seconds left was odd... Why wouldn't you go for that? You're 0-3, you know that your chances of converting the 4th and 10 are greater than their chances of getting the ball back with 10-15 seconds left and getting into FG position starting from your 40... Why do you punt? I guess I could see it if you think your chances are greater than theirs in OT (say you have a great QB), but we do not.

It figures that the Bengals get the ball in nearly the same situation, except with over a minute left, and they go for it and succeed...

A 58 yard kick. If they miss, Cinci's in great field position with 2 TO's and 10 seconds. It sucks, but you have to punt and take OT.

NO it was absolutely the right call. You have a kicker unfamiliar with this field, not a lot of reps.. You GIVE the game to cinci if you miss that kick which is the most likely scenario.. Punting was the right call. Make Cinci drive the field..the defense was well rested and playing well.

If Cinci didnt go for it the game would end anyway, no 2nd overtime.

For what it's worth, Donovan and Dieken were both of the "of course you punt it here" opinion. My buddy and I were less than thrilled with the decision. But a sack would have given them the ball at midfield and 15ish(?) seconds to run a play and then try for the points. With hindsight, I think their call was entirely defensible. Puzzling at the time when you're screaming your head off as a fan, but probably the right call after stepping back and looking at it.

Beanpot

I was more confused with the Timeouts that were taken in the overtime. What did we accomplish there ? esp the one where we took a timeout @ 2:02 when we have a 2 minute timeout coming automatically

I agree...calling timeouts on "d" was a huge favor to Cincy...poor coaching

Archived