THE BROWNS BOARD

Great players should not be stuck on horrible teams.

Vegasdogg

There is a pretty good interview with Barry Sanders over at SI.com - http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/for_the_record/posts/20762

One of the questions asked of him was the following:

SI.com: If Detroit had considered trading you to a contender, a team that was a running back away from possibly winning a Super Bowl, would that have changed your mindset?

Sanders: It might have. Yeah, it definitely might have. I think it's always important to feel like you have a chance. That very well could have changed what happened and it may have delayed my decision a couple years. I think for me personally, looking back to that point, the Lions as a team had gone backwards and I felt like I was winding down my career and you realize that you can't be a winner overnight. So you start adding things up and all those things had something to do with it.

I am not saying teams should be forced to trade guys like Barry, but they should seriously consider letting these guys go via trade and finish on a winner in thier prime. Tony Gonzalez is a great example this season.

Maybe I'm wrong, but teams should consider the wishes of a long time player - specifically one that has played thier entire career with that team - towards the end of his career if that team is more than 2-3 years from contending. Sure they all think they can contend, but they should use some common sense.

I agree completly. The lions didnt do what it took to put a winning team together to win anything they just used Sanders to sell tickets and make what money they could off of him. He should have been traded and afforded the opportunity to win else where. They ruined his carreer in my opionion.

If the league done something like this the browns would never have another winning season as long as randy lerner owns the team.. its bad enough soon some of our better players are going to try and opt out for trades or fa to get away from the mistake by the lake #2 and its pathetic management i think we need a new coach before talking about draft we have a lot of untapped talent but no coach to bring it out...

That's what free agency is all about. If you don't want to stay on the team you're with then don't keep signing contracts with them. Great players can have their pick of teams so I don't feel bad for them at all. It was their choice.

Besides, is there ever a guarantee when you get traded to another team that they will make it to the Super Bowl anyways?

Archived