THE BROWNS BOARD

Braylon Edwards

Guest ATENEARS

Guest ATENEARS

Loved how Braylon dropped the first first-down pass of the game and DA seldom went back to him thereafter, and for good reason.

I think Braylon was thrown to 5 times total, but I am glad we have a QB in there with Horseballs that can shun a #1 receiver when he is being an ass and carry a rookie receiver to some big numbers.

Hats off to DA, and let's hope this lights a fire under Braylons ass to make the most of what is thrown his way.

Loved how Braylon dropped the first first-down pass of the game and DA seldom went back to him thereafter, and for good reason.

I think Braylon was thrown to 5 times total, but I am glad we have a QB in there with Horseballs that can shun a #1 receiver when he is being an ass and carry a rookie receiver to some big numbers.

Hats off to DA, and let's hope this lights a fire under Braylons ass to make the most of what is thrown his way.

It's called double coverage, which I gotta say I am surprised DA didn't throw into it on each play. Maybe he is progressing. Only one game losing pick this time. Oh joy! MoMass had single coverage all game, and did what is expected of an NFL reciever with single coverage. Nice to have a legit WR at #2 for our QB to throw to.

It's called double coverage, which I gotta say I am surprised DA didn't throw into it on each play. Maybe he is progressing. Only one game losing pick this time. Oh joy! MoMass had single coverage all game, and did what is expected of an NFL reciever with single coverage. Nice to have a legit WR at #2 for our QB to throw to.

He threw into double-coverage a couple times trying to involve Edwards. Personally, I'd like to see Edwards traded so we're not tempted to throw to him.

Of course, we shouldn't think Massaquoi is the answer after 1 good game in which he bailed DA time and again. Nonetheless there is hope that our next QB, whomever that may be, will have a legitimate target.

He threw into double-coverage a couple times trying to involve Edwards. Personally, I'd like to see Edwards traded so we're not tempted to throw to him.

Of course, we shouldn't think Massaquoi is the answer after 1 good game in which he bailed DA time and again. Nonetheless there is hope that our next QB, whomever that may be, will have a legitimate target.

Why do homo's like you, respond always with WE should trade him! Braylon is a good reciever, he will be next week, he had a bad game....

He was a nice decoy, and the Bengals took the bait. Of course it only worked because MoMass and DA connected for 10 very nice plays. If we can get big games from some people in the next few games, people will soften coverages and roll to different players, thus tipping their hands more.

And WTF Royal? Catch it when it is in your face dude. NFL players have their hands chest high coming out of their cuts.

I am dedicating post number 7000 to Braylon Edwards for not being a diva prick and playing like a member of a team, sticking up for his RB, blocking like a motherfooking beast, and for just quietly going about business without losing his head. (If you noticed as I did, Mangini had a word for him after the offsetting personal fouls, but put him right back in the huddle.)

WR Braylon Edwards

(On being effective without catching a pass)- “I believe so. I try and go out there and be the guy everyone focuses on. That’s one of the core characteristics that Coach Mangini speaks about. That’s what I am trying to be, not a distraction, but a helpful guy on this team. Mohamed Massaquoi, what can you say, the guy made the plays that came to him. He performed well, he has been getting better each week and having more confidence each week and it showed today. He had a superb game.”

(On the game)- “I think there are two factors involved. Coach Mangini, as he came in this week, had a different approach. What I mean by that is it wasn’t much different, but he showed us there is a lot of season left. He said you guys have so much fight and so much talent. He had a different feel about him. I can’t explain it, but he did and we ran with that and we worked hard for him this week. We, as players, knew that we spotted those 14 points. On offense we give them the fumble that goes back for a touchdown. If we don’t do that, it’s 7-0. We ran with them and the defense was doing a good job. We were getting movement on offense and we came out here and continued the things we were doing and tightened up some of the areas and made some plays.”

(On the offense compared to last week)- “A big thing we did today was taking what they gave us. They were having some zone problems, so we were taking advantage with running the ball. They were blowing some covers, leaving Mohamed one-on-one. Derek Anderson saw that and made some good throws and Mohamed made some good catches. It was a good job of exploiting what they were giving, exploiting the zone look they were giving us. We did a good job of mixing up the run and the pass, that’s where we got movement.”

(On losing a hard fought game)- “You can sit here and say we played well, but it hurts. Especially for us to have that feeling going into the game, and having that feeling during the game, especially in the third quarter going into the fourth. To have that feeling get knocked out of you in the end, it hurts. We are going to have to watch it, and stomach it again, and then move past it, but it definitely does hurt.”

(On his personal foul sparking the team)- “If you want to take it that way, that’s a good way to take it and I’m sure everyone will love that. For me, it was that I saw them doing a little extra after the whistle on our running back Jerome Harrison. I’m not a fan of that. As an offense, we take care of one another. So I was just trying to take care of my guy, which led to some other things and that’s a personal foul, but I’m not going to stand for the extra after the whistle. I was just protecting my guy after the whistle.”

Actually Cincy was rolling there coverage to Edwards and daring DA to throw into coverage or throw to someone else. There stratagy backfired. If we had a better TE we could have really made them pay. Royal and Heiden are adaquate at best but don't require attention and can be covered by a LB. Throwing to MoMass now makes teams play a little more honest.

I just can't get this two TE formations or Royal split out wide. Who the hell is going to respect him split out wide and two TEs bunches the middle and squeezes the running game. I'd rather have Vickers in there then the two TEs.

I am dedicating post number 7000 to Braylon Edwards for not being a diva prick and playing like a member of a team, sticking up for his RB, blocking like a motherfooking beast, and for just quietly going about business without losing his head. (If you noticed as I did, Mangini had a word for him after the offsetting personal fouls, but put him right back in the huddle.)

I can't believe I actually liked the words coming out of Edward's mouth. Maybe Mangini is doing something positive with this team.

I was losing my mind in the Tavern in support of BE for his personal foul. A Bungle DL power-bombed Harrison into the turf after he had been making him look like a bitch all afternoon - then he wouldn't get off of him. So, BE got right in the guys face (who probably had close to 80-90 lbs on BE).

My Gameball vote goes to Harrison, but Edwards was a very close 2nd just for that play.

Why do homo's like you, respond always with WE should trade him! Braylon is a good reciever, he will be next week, he had a bad game....

How many bad games does the guy have to have, you idiot? As a #1 receiver he is SUPREMELY unreliable. He showed that yesterday, where he was basically nothing more than a decoy.

The guy can be wide open and will drop game changing passes.

Trade him while we can get value for him, because this guy is NOT sticking around. It doesn't matter if he 'goes on to be great'; he isn't going to re-sign with the Browns, and, in case you haven't noticed, we're a little more than 1 year away from a Superbowl run.

Tool.

Guest ATENEARS
I just can't get this two TE formations or Royal split out wide. Who the hell is going to respect him split out wide and two TEs bunches the middle and squeezes the running game. I'd rather have Vickers in there then the two TEs.

I have been calling for more Vickers since Jamal stopped taking it hard into the line. I'd give the guy a carry or two and use him out of the backfield more, as he has pretty good hands for a big fella.

NOTE: Thanks guys for insight on Braylon doing the little things needed to be a good team player. Being at the game, I only recognized glimpses of such. We are'nt privy to replays of him peeling anyone off the pile, or nice blocks. Good stuff ... I'll stick by my original post of giving DA props for not forcing anything to Braylon and allowing him to go 0'fer in receptions for the better of the team, and perhaps this has taught or reminded BE that there is much more to being a receiver than just catching balls (or dropping'em).

props to Momass too. If we get any productivity out of braylon this year, we may owe it to Massaquoi. Finally, BE is not the only receiver on this team. If he wants touches, MOmass just put him on notice and told him he needs to earn them.

Archived