THE BROWNS BOARD

Let's talk about the positives

bonedawg

After reading the majority of the posts since the game ended, I am getting fed up with all of the negative crap (see QB bashing) coming from us fans. While I have done some bitching and moaning myself, I wanted to start a thread that is just devoted to the positive aspects from today's game. Here is my list.

1. Jerome Harrison is who we hoped he'd be. This guy is looking like a legit running back. He hits holes hard, gives a big 2nd effort, and makes decisive cuts.

2. Our secondary looks much improved. I have to give mangini/ryan a little credit here. Their tweaks seemed to pay off this week. The focus is on the IMPROVEMENT from the past weeks. Wright and Brodney Pool both had great games IMO.

3. Shaun Rogers is a beast. Not one but TWO blocked kicks?!?! Amazing!

4. Cribbs is the scariest return man in the game. I would take Cribbs over Hester every sunday of the season.

5. We scored touchdowns. Now we don't have to hear the 1 touchdown in 549 games stat that all the announcers love to say when they talk about us. I know scoring TDs is something we already should be doing but fact is, we weren't, but we did today.

6. Massoqoui made some great grabs. If he develops in the coming games, we have a legitimate 2 WR threat (really trying to be positive on BE).

Listen, I am a browns fan, I am used to heartbreak and losing. It comes with the territory. We lost with heart today, and all I wanted was our team to be scrappy today, to put up a fight, and they did. It was nice to go home from the bar with a feeling like we could compete at an NFL level even though we lost because honestly, even though I haven't missed a game in years, I was close to giving up this year and taking back my sundays. However small, my brownies gave me a reason to keep watching today.

Guest Metcalf_FTW

Agree on everything, except you forget to mention the biggest positive -- the offensive line. No false starts, I don't think any penalties, maybe one hold, and the only sack D.A. cause on his own by basically running into the defensive end that Joe Thomas had blocked. They opened up plenty of holes for Harrison. It all starts with D.A. opening up the passing game and making the defense back off and be honest, something Quinn could not do.

5. ... I know scoring TDs is something we already should be doing but fact is, we weren't.... bonedawg

I am positive that the above phrase is negative, and contradicts the intent of the thread. @@

1. Jerome made Rey Rey miss.

I say Jerome making Rey Rey miss cause i just rewatched the game and i love that he was totally ineffective against us. I thought this guy was overrated playing in a system were he could be overagressive and not have to worry with Mays chillin behind you and all the other talent USC had on that side of the ball. Was hyped as the next Ray Lewis and so far hasn't shown it.

2. Ryan getting fired up over the bullshit penalty call.

Good to see a coach going off like a raped ape.

3. Braylon protecting his teammates/getting the team fired up.

I thought this was a good sign that Braylon took offense and stood up for JH. Goes along with 2 in that were getting some emotion going on that is positive for the team instead of imploding.

4. MoMass showing that he came as advertised.

I just love this guy what can i say. Good to see that he looks like he's cured his dropsys so far. Love seeing the rookie talent starting to contribute and hopefully we will see more of them as they get further aclimated.

5. Actual scoring drives.

Yeah.

6. OL play.

Much Much Better today.

And i think we got some shit clickin here. Hopefully they can ride that right into Buffalo.

How about Corey Williams getting some pressure? In addition to a sack, a TFL, and a deflected pass, the box score says he had 5 QB hits - a very impressive stat, as well as a promising one: according to Football Outsiders, QB hits are a great predictor of future sack production.

Williams may never be the elite 3-4 DE Savage imagined thought he could be, but he's beginning to look like an excellent situational pass rusher. And one of the benefits of our solid d-line rotation is we're able to keep Williams fresh; it probably isn't a coincidence that Williams' sack production in Green Bay flatlined when he became a full-time starter.

Hopefully, Corey will continue to impress. Buffalo's tandem of rookie guards should provide him more opportunities to get after the quarterback.

Here's something positive....Mangini. That didn't look to me like a team that has turned on the coach. I know this isn't going to be a real popular position, but Mangini is making progress. Yesterday the team played their best game. I was really hoping to get a win....that would have gone a long way in stabilizing the team. Based on Mangini's comments, I'm guessing that DA is our starting qb....until he screws up. I don't see Mangini going back to Quinn.......and I'm fine with it. I think DA gives us the best chance to win...or at least he makes it exciting.

Here's something positive....Mangini. That didn't look to me like a team that has turned on the coach. I know this isn't going to be a real popular position, but Mangini is making progress. Yesterday the team played their best game. I was really hoping to get a win....that would have gone a long way in stabilizing the team. Based on Mangini's comments, I'm guessing that DA is our starting qb....until he screws up. I don't see Mangini going back to Quinn.......and I'm fine with it. I think DA gives us the best chance to win...or at least he makes it exciting.

Bill Murray in "What About Bob"...... Baby steps. Baby steps.....

For the sake of arguing it unfortunately becomes necessary for people to draw battle lines. This is why someone like myself, who is not professing BQ to be our saviour, just want to see what the man's got, becomes a BQ fag. Fine, whatever makes my fellow alcoholics happy.

Regardless of the circumstances surrounding him, BQ looked like poo. NONONONONONONONO!!! don't touch that reply button! I said REGARDLESS of the circumstances surrounding...

We've all ready discussed to great lengths the circumstances for both these guys... who's hurt, who can't catch, who's balls swelled up, who's in jail, who's out of position, what alignment the planets are in...

As someone who wanted to see what BQ had, you have to admit he looked like poo. Period...... You're right, it IS upsetting. We expected more. Part of the reason it's upsetting is because many of us are shaky on the option.

Now, about the "option".... when you compare it to what BQ has done the first 3 games, it was unmistakably enjoyable to watch someone with less fear and trepidation to fire the ball around the field. And this is where we have issues with one another... One person is posting on what they're feeling while comparing the two in their head. Next guy is looking at numbers. Next guy is stuck on a particular play. Next guy is just now getting a headache from all the draft beer. Next thing you know we're all homo's and doing one or the other qb's.

DA made some good passes. He made a few bad passes. When you COMPARE it to what we've seen the first 3 weeks this was a positive! good or bad, he made decisions and threw the ball.

.... when you compare it to DA's track record, its a "wait and see."

BE dropped a pass he should have caught, but I'm not going to complain about one. INSTEAD, I will say a positive; BE had ZERO false starts yesterday. I appreciate that.

MOmass.... :blink: whoa. Welcome to the party. Glad you could make it. Take your coat off, stay awhile. Positive.

Cribbs returning to more normal duties and making the other team PAY. googa moonga! Man had over 200 return yds!!! Hopefully when you combine that with MOmass' performance Mangini will see fit to award the return job to Cribbs, and Momass #2 duties at wr. Positive.

Yesterday was a long day and I didn't finish the game until after 10 so tired eyes may have been in effect but... Harrison looked like he spent little time dancing and hit the line hard. If he was only going to get 2 yds out of the play he was going to take the two and not dance in the backfield and end up with zero. positive.

After holding the ball for ohhhhhhh, about a minute the entire first qtr, we actually had the ball longer for the entire game. SHOCKER! and positive.

Still plenty of issues, things to work on etc, etc... but it felt good to see some positives.

And you're right lobo.... mangini was a positive. He made some decisions. He made a few changes this week. Some of these changes will continue to be debated, but for today, I'm having a few positive thoughts after a Browns loss and those aren't easy to come by. Especially when my brain is off doing it's own thing and suddenly I realize my brain is saying something nuts like if we lose at least we can say so-and-so on the Browns board is a douchebag. :huh: Yeah. Crazy. But don't try and pretend I'm the only borderline lunatic on this board. I see you. I see you out there spewing all your hate toward one another because we have been so violently torn apart by a decade of losing. A decade of BAD losing. Incompetence, Bulls**t, coinflips, barefoot races, staph and no clear cut leadership on the field. Left us bickering with each other, drawing lines in the locker room and rooting against Browns players because some other thread poster is a complete moron and can't see why this or that guys sucks so we need to lose, we need to lose badly so they can see you're right and get one particular dumbass or another off the field. Not to mention the opportunity to gloat in your next post.

Yeah, it's been that bad and unfortunately yesterdays game hasn't done enough to squelch that. It's not good when the natives are ready to start slinging their own feces, especially when they're as full o' sh*t as we are half the time! We are one well armed army.

We saw some positive things. Soak it in. We can fight over the negatives tomorrow.

Progress, the band aid we need right now. Hopefully, we can get a win next week. One monday morning where we're not picking at the scabs would be nice.

Guest ATENEARS

I agree with many points in glenby's post:

The Time of Possession thing was interesting. We couldn't get to our second possession, then we seemed to trade jabs toe-to-toe from there on out.

I haven't given Cribbs his props here yet, I guess I just expect him to rack up the return yards and have taken him for granted.

Harrison hitting holes without stuttering. Running Northn-South without getting parallel with the line of scrimmage was a HUGE step in this guy's performance that should get him on the field more. Now, we must monitor how sore he is today, it's been a long time since he's gotten such touches.

Pontbriand had a good game. After the Bengal's long snapper woes, i appreciate his performance even more.

Indeed. I was commenting how when you screw up a snap, that ball goes a LONG way back.

Harrison had some tough runs, especially late in the game, when the defense started to wear out. The one where he moved the pile was classic. He also found he hole and hit it. No sutter stepping. Really, this guy should be splitting carries at least with Lewis.

Massaquoi - what can you say - the guy was as good as advertised yesterday.

DA didn't melt down when the pressure was turned up. Yes, he had some iffy throws, but every QB does, otherwise the stat would simply be 'completions' and 'drops'. His completions were nice, and he got over being victimized by drops earlier in the game (maybe he is just used to it by now). Turnover in the redzone hurt, but that's who he is - take the bad with the good, I guess.

Playcalling - slants and screens finally; the defense did well, Pool had a great day.

Very good progress was made across the board i now believe we may have a head coach afterall ryan is doing a great job on the defense its came a long ways in containing the ever poweful bengal offense for most of the game...DA had a very good game and provided a spark even though dabolls playcalling had a tendancy to put the fire out before it could ignite...

More MoMass ,More MoMass ,More MoMass!

Its time to add robiskie in the mix and give BE a little bench time he deserves it!

I think the browns are ready to win one next week but unfortunately much depends on the playcalling of daboll which i currently have little confidence in..

Da kept his cool and stayed in the game, even after interception.

Mentally never checked out.

Yes that ability to forget is huge. Quinn looked good in the Vikings game, then threw a pick in the second half, as soon as he did that, he never regained his composure, and our offense never recovered.

Archived