THE BROWNS BOARD

Game Synopsis

WPB Dawg Fan

The Browns played a pretty good game. Each individual aspect showed things that we can grow on...and each aspect proved it could even be dominant for a short period of time. Unfortunately, each aspect also had a brief letdown that wound up costing us the game. However, I thought to try and do a synopsis of the good, the bad, and the ugly.

1. QB: It has been our topic for so long, I thought I would just get it out of the way. DA played a respectable game. His early 3rd Q INT cost us 3 points...and it was a pretty ugly pass....but in the grand scheme of things probably didn't effect the outcome of the game. Too early and we overcame it anyway. He put together a SOLID performance...not outstanding, but far from the bad DA. I give this area a B.

2. RB: Harrison gave us our first 100 yard performance in, FOREVER!!! He ran well up the middle, and around the edges. He also did well receiving out of the backfield. Overall a VERY promising performance. Unfortunately, his fumble was a HUGE play in the game. It was at least a 10 point turnaround as we were already at the Cinci 21 yard line. So we took 3 points off and gave Cinci 7 in one fumble. Still, we overcame that as well, so it in itself did not cost us the game. I give this area a B.

3. WR/TE: MoMass put on quite a show. He was open all day. GREAT performance by him. Furrey and Heiden also played well. I was disappointed in Royal as he dropped more than his share. And BE getting shut out didn't help out much either. Still, before we go thinking that MoMass should be the #1 WR, keep in mind that he was being left in single coverage the entire night while BE was drawing the double. MoMass has just announced himself as a LEGIT #2 threat...and possibly down the road (next year?) the #1. Again a B.

4. OL: They improved the run blocking immensely. They still gave up 2 sacks...so not a perfect game. I am seeing improvement...but it still has a way to go. B-.

5. DL: After the first quarter (160 yards), the D gave up only 27 yards for most of the 2nd and 3rd quarters. They were IMPRESSIVE. However, the late game and overtime drives they gave up reminded me of the old defense. A C for now...but showing signs of improvement.

6. LB: Jackson and Wimbley played excellent games, and Barton played solid...but we need FOUR LB's playing well, not 3. Hall seems lost out there when he is in, IMHO. B-.

7. DB: Who would have thought that the 2 most talked about players here would be Adams and Furrey? Pretty nice play by both these guys. Pool also played one of the best games I have seen out of him in a very long time. Still, there were moments when the WR's seemed to be way to wide open. B.

8. ST: 2 blocked kicks, tons of return yards, no missed opportunities by us. The biggest issue I had was the punt late in the game instead of a FG. It would have been 57 yards, so with Condit I was not surprised, too bad we didn't have Dawson or we may have sealed the victory right there. A-.

9. Coaching: Much improved...but we are just now seeing some imagination. C+.

10. We could have won this game without any one of the mistakes or play calls above, but with ALL of them going against us, it was just too much. I see this game as a building point...and see Buffalo as win #1!!!

Guest Masters

WPB, good post. While I agree with you on some of the positives from the game, sadly even this type of post can't make me get on the bandwagon. I still saw a team no closer to winning.

As I sit and think back on the game, I am reminded that CLE blocked a FG, blocked a XPT, forced two turn overs, won the TOP, and managed to lose. It's not often you can say a team did all those things in a game and still lost. Not to mention CLE still can't stop the run (gave up 154yards at the tune of 5.1YPC)

Regarding Hall, he had good and bad imo. He got some pressure on the QB, but you can't rely on him in any coverage. He seems like he should be only in in pass rush situations.

Great post dawg!

I saw a lot of gelling going on both off and on the field..we were able to see that mangini has a soul afterall and the players are clearly with the coaches program and played their hearts out for him except one guy who should be announced as benched soon...

Theres still a lot of work to be done but I think that things have began to turn around now...im no longer calling for mangini's head and wish him ,the team and the staff the best and hope to see this kind of emotion and passion in every game i love fire ,players need fire and fiery teams win!

GO BROWNS!

Guest ATENEARS

I gotta give the coaching staff a better grade for making some needed changes across the board that directly produced results. Grade = A

Game Day Coaching, perhaps still a C

Play Calling = C

But overall facing adversity, coming back from a 14-point hole, making second half adjustments, picking the locker room up and getting us to a point we can start to talk about 'tweaks' instead of an over-haul, I give them an overall B+ for this game.

Archived