THE BROWNS BOARD

Cower09.com

OconRecon

In a word, NO.

Bill Cowher should have been hired by Modell (over Belichick) back in the day. Why Art didn't remains a mystery.

But, why hire a guy who beat our ass and had his share of problems with our arch-enemy? I've had enough of the Cowher talk...remember, he stood by Kordell Stewart, & lost home playoff games (a few with home-field throughout the AFC).

I wouldn't be able to stand the sight of him on our sideline. We need an offensive minded coach, in my opinion, who will hire a credible defensive assistant coordinator. Most of our so-called talent is on the offensive side of the ball, let's lean in that direction.

easiest way to remove that "tarnish" is to get BQ and the offense playing well, he should be able to run a similar offense to what he did in San Diego, weaker at RB but stronger at WR

but if we went with Cowher, it would be a major overhaul of the coaching staff, first change would be to get Ron Rivera as Def. coord but I don't think we could get him away from San Diego

the coaching staff is definetely looking dysfunctional. Turner is in over his head as def. coord., not that he won't be a good one down the road, but he isn't/wasn't ready this year.

Guest Aloysius

Where did you hear those whispers?

There's a good article about Rivera here:

While many believe Rivera's defense will be more similar to the defense Wade Phillips ran in San Diego before he became the Cowboys' head coach, it isn't easy to define Rivera's style because he comes from such a diverse background. When he was the Bears' defensive coordinator, he was basically carrying out the plan of Smith, who came from a defensive background.

This is the first time Rivera will be coordinating a defense without a defensive-minded head coach above him.

"Having been around Jim Johnson, having been around Lovie Smith, having been around Buddy Ryan and Vince Tobin, there are different things I've been involved with that we can draw from," Rivera said.

Guest Masters
I posted this in another thread and I'll post it again here.

While Cowher the coach I would definitely go for.

Cowher in full control I would not be in favor of.

Remember this is the guy who had Kordell Stewart as his starting QB for a few years. Cowher didn't start winning Superbowls till they hired the GM to work with him.

Actually Cowher had a GM then too. He had Donahoe as the GM then. Cowher won the power struggle with him in 1999. He and Colbert worked closely in shaping the last SB team and current team.

Guest Masters
We would be in agreement JADBF.

You can call me Golf like riff does BTW if it's easier icon_e_biggrin.gif

Eh, I am starting to get used to this one now. It is pretty quick and easy to type out.

ryan's interesting to me, too, but i wonder how he can handle the transition from coordinator to head coach. it seems their responsibilities are so different that the positions are, in today's NFL, barely related.

either way, you can't have the coach be the GM. it doesn't work. holmgren's the best example, i think. you can get to the playoffs that way, but that's your ceiling. butch davis, anyone?

Cowher can write his own ticket why would he, or any proven coach, go to a place like Cleveland or Oakland.

He would get the same, or very similar, money in any one of several NFL cities where the organization is not dysfunctional, the city is not a shithole, and the team history is not embarrassing.

Again, why would he come here?

Cowchip spent 15 years in that confluence ashpit that makes Bangladesh look like the French Riviera. C-Town would seem like heaven after toiling in the bowels of hell for a decade and a half.

Doug

If Rivera "fixes" San Diego's defense again, he becomes the top coaching candidate the day the season ends. Not for just the Browns, but everybody. For what it's worth, there are whispers that he isn't a head coach "type," meaning he's organized and hardworking, but not necessarily the sharpest hoe in the shed.

Sounds like someone we know.

Guest Ghoolie

The Day Cowher works for Sewage is the day Kellen Winslow II becomes a playmaker.

Give the Cowher shit a rest already. He must be tired of buying houses and eating in restaurants in Ohio by now.

The Day Cowher works for Sewage is the day Kellen Winslow II becomes a playmaker.

Give the Cowher shit a rest already. He must be tired of buying houses and eating in restaurants in Ohio by now.

Im am pretty sure that KW2 was play maker in the Denver game, I know I got a ton of points for a TE in my fantasy league. Maybe I should give those points back because he didnt do anything?

I for one, am very happy to see how upset he was that he missed that catch at the end. Shows he gives a damn, more then I can say for quite a few on this damn team. Crennel and BE to name a couple.

Guest Masters

The same KW II that had two TDs on Thursday right? The one busting off a 30 yarder w/ most coming as YAC and a stiff arm.

Save the come back about his fumble and drop on 4th. Because that would be like ragging on TO. He has done the same crap. Pick a target that deserves it Ghools. Pick a defender for CLE to pull that stuff on.

Guest Masters

Im am pretty sure that KW2 was play maker in the Denver game, I know I got a ton of points for a TE in my fantasy league. Maybe I should give those points back because he didnt do anything?

I for one, am very happy to see how upset he was that he missed that catch at the end. Shows he gives a damn, more then I can say for quite a few on this damn team. Crennel and BE to name a couple.

Not to mention how visibly upset he was w/ himself after the fumble. That dude cares and leaves it on the field every time he plays.

Guest Masters

Not to mention how visibly upset he was w/ himself after the fumble. That dude cares and leaves it on the field every time he plays.

Agree. Winslow played his heart out. He'll be fine.

Especially if Brady can keep settling him down, like Winslow said he was doing on Thursday.

Archived