THE BROWNS BOARD

With the WR Position Set, We Need to Draft a RB

WebsterSlaughter

Mangini has completely filled the WR position with his guys now. Stuckey, MoMass, Furrey and Robo. I don't expect any more moves to made at that position. This brings up the next key position on our team. Running back. Jerome Harrison will never be more than a change of pace back. He is not a feature back. I believe the Browns need to use a high pick next year to grab a feature back. People tend to focus on our lack of a consistent QB, but we have also never had consistent play from the RB position. Don't get me wrong. Harrison is not a bad player. Actually, he's one of the better 3rd down backs in the league. But what we need now is a big time play-making feature back.

My hope is that we go after Lendale White in free agency and so we will have White, Davis, and Harrison. I REALLY like that backfield. If not White than soomebody else. I HATE drafting RBs high. I feel like you can get a starter on day 2 if you do your homework. That way we won't have to waste a high pick on offense and we can get a S/LB that can start on day 1 for us.

By the way. Why are we talking about this now?

Thomas Jones a FA soon? He will be a Brown, mark it down lol.

Beat me to it! I can totally see that happening because we sure as hell aren't getting Leon Washington. Maybe there is a RB on the Jets practice squad with potential that Mangini will dig up.

Honestly though, running back is pretty far down on my list of needs for the Browns

Mangini has completely filled the WR position with his guys now. Stuckey, MoMass, Furrey and Robo. I don't expect any more moves to made at that position. This brings up the next key position on our team. Running back. Jerome Harrison will never be more than a change of pace back. He is not a feature back. I believe the Browns need to use a high pick next year to grab a feature back. People tend to focus on our lack of a consistent QB, but we have also never had consistent play from the RB position. Don't get me wrong. Harrison is not a bad player. Actually, he's one of the better 3rd down backs in the league. But what we need now is a big time play-making feature back.

Yep we do not need a frachise QB. Franshise QB's are dime a dozen. Lets go RB where the average life span of a RB is like 6 years. Makes ALOT of sense.

How any of you can say the WR position is "set" is beyond me. Name one proven commodity?

Mike Furrey's proven himself to be a fairly reliable receiver, but Mike "Cheaters Prosper" Williams makes him look like Greg Paulus.

Mike Williams, Syracuse (6-2, 204)

The play of Syracuse WR Mike Williams has been absolutely brilliant throughout the first five games of the year, and his performance Saturday vs. a talented South Florida defense has me wondering, is this guy the best wideout in college football? Williams not only has the size and speed to make plays vertically down the field, but his overall polish as a route runner has improved significantly under new head coach Doug Marrone. Plus, Williams has that X-factor to his game as he goes up and attacks the football as well as any receiver I’ve seen since Larry Fitzgerald. Williams had 13 catches for 186 yards and two touchdowns this past weekend and was consistently able to create substantial separation against highly rated senior corner Jerome Murphy. Williams will definitely be crashing the NFP Super 30 on Wednesday, and I can now see him potentially making a run at Oklahoma State’s Dez Bryant as the nation’s top wideout.

via here.

I've heard Anquan Boldin brought up as a comparison for Williams. Sounds about right to me.

You don't win in the NFL without a solid running game. You also ruin a lot of potential franchise QB's by not having one. Manning, Rothlisberger, Aikman, Brady ect. all had solid running games to take the pressure off them. If we don't get a solid running game any QB we draft will be toast. It no coincidence that DA's only good season came when we had a good running game. And just for reference putrid QB's live Tavaris Jackson can make the playoffs when paired with a good running game and solid defense. Run offense + Run defense=Being competitive on a yearly basis.

How any of you can say the WR position is "set" is beyond me. Name one proven commodity?

Quantity doesn't mean quality, people.

No one is claiming that we have Pro Bowl WR's on our roster. We do need to see if these guys can play though. It would be a waste to draft or sign new WR's with other pressing concern. We need to give other players more than the chance we gave Quinn.

No one is claiming that we have Pro Bowl WR's on our roster. We do need to see if these guys can play though. It would be a waste to draft or sign new WR's with other pressing concern. We need to give other players more than the chance we gave Quinn.

So then we're not set at WR.

Analogy time.

Alo is to Aaron Curry as mz the pussy is to Mike Williams.

True.

And if the character issues prove to be less than disconcerting, I'll be right there with you on Williams.

Seems like a fairly intelligent kid, albeit with questionable fashion tastes.

The folks at nfldraftscout have bumped him up to a 1st round projection. They have him rated higher than Arrelious Benn and, perhaps more surprisingly, Damian Williams.

Mike Furrey's proven himself to be a fairly reliable receiver, but Mike "Cheaters Prosper" Williams makes him look like Greg Paulus.

Bad news, Alo. We may have to wait another year. Not that he's always telling the truth. :)

WR Mike Williams said again today he's coming back in 2010. "I’m really looking forward to coming back," he said. More in PS on Thursday.

I would take Williams over Benn and Damian Williams ANY DAY.

Hey PG - Not for nothing, but name a highly-touted OK State WR who has panned out.

Hart Lee Dykes?

Rashaun Woods??

Here ya go.

OSU's Dez Bryant ruled ineligible

By Brandon Chatmon Staff Writer bchatmon@opubco.com

Published: October 7, 2009

STILLWATER — Oklahoma State receiver Dez Bryant has been ruled ineligible for a violation of NCAA bylaw 10.1, which is pertains to unethical conduct.

Rice safety Travis Bradshaw, right, watches as Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant, left, runs downfield during the first half of an NCAA college football game in Stillwater, Okla., Saturday, Sept. 19, 2009. Oklahoma State defeated Rice 41-24.

According to an OSU press release, Bryant failed to openly disclose the full details of his interaction with a former NFL player.

“I made a mistake by not being entirely truthful when meeting with the NCAA,” Bryant said in a statement. “I sincerely regret my mistake and apologized to my teammates, coaches, OSU fans and the NCAA.”

A returning All-American, Bryant is the Cowboys leading receiver with 17 catches for 323 yards and four touchdowns.

“We are certainly disappointed,” OSU coach Mike Gundy said in a statement. “But we are moving forward as we would with any challenge during the season.”

OSU has begun the process of applying to the NCAA on his behalf for reinstatement. The incident in question does not involve anyone associated with OSU including the football program, athletic department and donors.

via here.

That player is rumored to be Deion Sanders (?)

I still think that a Running Back is the last piece of the puzzle.

Yes, a good running game is EXTREMELY useful. But you need to have your act together, as RB careers are notoriously short, and you don't want to burn out your primary RB while you're rebuilding, because then, when you finally are ready, you've got a closing window with that particular RB.

Unless, of course, it's a deity like AP. Woe to you, O Earth and Sea, for the devil sends AP with wrath because he knows that time is short. LET HIM WHO HATH UNDERSTANDING RECKON THE NUMBER OF THE AP, for it is a composite number. His number is 10, 10, and 8.

So unless it is worthy of an Iron Maiden song, don't draft a running back at the beginning of a rebuilding phase.

BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE.... There is not one position on this team that cannot be drafted.. You could say center would not be drafted and that's about it.. tackles..left /right.. not much difference... we have a left..we need a right... nothing wrong with 2 stud tackles and a center all in the first round.WOW what a line that could be.. Not saying that's what we need or would draft..I am saying this team is terrible. BPA is the only way to go, We have not drafted a DE in the top 3 rounds in 7 years.. a bit overdue if you ask me..we have no playmakers at that spot. Journeyman and that's it.

As for RB... i begged for AP.. i got abused on this board.. i begged for michael turner.. I got even more abuse.. I am all for a top RB.. Not sure who is out there..but there is usually 1 or 2 guys who can make it to the top..

Free agents at seasons end I like: Mike Bell, Pierre Thomas, (one of these two will get resigned by the saints) Ronnie Brown (will get resigned by miami most likely) Harrison is a free agent.. we need to resign him, Lendale white... Chester taylor will be out there too but he is merely a short term fix due to his age.. P. Thomas, M. Bell followed by L White would be my order of preference of free agents.. after that forget it.

Archived