THE BROWNS BOARD

Timeline of Braylon Troubles

Guest ATENEARS

Guest ATENEARS

In the end, Braylon Edwards just wasn't worth the headaches: Analysis

http://www.cleveland.com/browns

By Mary Kay Cabot

October 07, 2009, 8:08PM

BEREA, Ohio -- It didn't take Eric Mangini long to figure out what some of those before him already knew: Braylon Edwards was more trouble than he was worth.

It began on draft day in 2005, when Edwards was visibly upset that the Miami Dolphins picked Ronnie Brown at No. 2 overall instead of him. Edwards admitted he wanted to go to Miami, and lashed out at the Dolphins and then-coach Nick Saban for lying to him and using him.

It was doomed from the start.

During the 2005 season, Edwards displayed his uncanny knack for saying something controversial and then blaming it on the media. That year, he said he thought a switch from Trent Dilfer to Charlie Frye would give the offense more life and energy. When he took heat from teammates, he said he was taken out of context.

But it was 2006 that was really the banner year for Edwards. That year he:

• Disobeyed head coach Romeo Crennel, renting a helicopter to attend the Ohio State-Michigan game in Columbus and arriving late for a team meeting. Crennel fined him.

• Criticized offensive coordinator Jeff Davidson's playcalling, saying he wasn't aggressive enough in the red zone.

• Called out teammate safety Brian Russell, saying Russell's hit that knocked Cincinnati's Chad Johnson out of the game "bull----." Crennel, in turn, blasted Edwards for criticizing his own teammate. "It was a legal hit," Crennel said. "You don't air family laundry."

• Went berserk on the sidelines of the Bengals game, grabbing Charlie Frye's jersey and screaming at teammates. Later, he accused teammates of quitting and "flat-out not playing."

• Was benched by Crennel for most of first half of a 22-7 loss to Tampa Bay after missing a team meeting Friday morning. Then he dropped two passes. Afterwards, Derek Anderson said, "We just all need to grow up and make plays."

Folks lambasted Crennel for not cracking down harder on Edwards, but several sources said General Manager Phil Savage, who drafted Edwards, prevented Crennel from doing so.

Other sources said that when Edwards wasn't missing team meetings, he was falling asleep in some of them -- especially on Friday mornings after being out late on Thursday nights. Again, Edwards was viewed as untouchable.

After the 2006 season, veterans such as Joe Jurevicius tried to set him straight, and it worked for a while. In 2007, he had his Pro Bowl season, catching 80 passes for 1,289 yards with 16 touchdowns.

Unfortunately for Edwards and the Browns, it went to his head. In August of 2008, he was pulled over after driving 120 mph in Avon at 2 a.m. with his passenger vomiting. Edwards only got a ticket after WOIO revealed the incident, and he blamed it on the station.

Then, he ran around practice that summer with his shoes off and had his foot gashed by Donte Stallworth, missing the entire preseason. When he returned, he dropped three passes in the opener -- the start of his 2008 dropfest. Two days later, he said of LeBron James, "LeBron isn't a Cleveland guy. LeBron only plays for the Cavaliers, and who knows if he even likes the Cavaliers?"

It was the first sign that he had issues with the King.

Edwards' season went downhill from there, ending with an NFL-high total of between 16 and 24 drops -- depending on who's counting. He was also near the top of the league in intercepted passes intended for him. Along the way, he told ESPN's Jim Rome how much he hated being here as a rookie and how he felt "unappreciated" and "a marked man" because he was from Michigan. He also frequently bashed offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski in front of teammates, sources said.

During the Texans game on Nov. 23, he approached safety Will Demps between plays about how to get into modeling and acting, according to Demps in ESPN The Magazine.

When the season was over, Edwards was out partying with Donte Stallworth -- spending $3,443 on champagne, vodka and other drinks at a posh Miami bar -- on the night Stallworth drove drunk and killed Mario Reyes.

Edwards was reportedly one of the players fined recently for not paying his hotel incidentals and is believed to have filed a grievance against the Browns. During the Bengals game, when he was held without a catch, he was overheard barking about not getting the ball. Later that night, when he was at The View, he reportedly complained to WKNR personality Sabrina Parr about his coaches and quarterbacks, saying he has no room for improvement.

Afterward, he allegedly punched James' friend, Edward Givens, and also punched his ticket out of town.

At least Mangini figured out the truth before the trading deadline passed Oct. 20.

061128boklores.jpg

Guest Masters
Later that night, when he was at The View, he reportedly complained to WKNR personality Sabrina Parr about his coaches and quarterbacks, saying he has no room for improvement.

You know, I liked the article until this point. I can't believe Mary Kay even put that in there. Glad to know she listens to the really big show to get some input :rolleyes:

I hate when people dig up old history on players, what they did and didnt do wrong... i mean Braylon wasnt perfect.. he had good and bad games.. made great catches and dropped alot of easy catches.. but im still gonna miss him.. he was a good player.. and I do think he liked playing for the Browns.. even though our fans were never easy on him..

p.s. Mary kay Cabot is a c.u.n.t..

Please, how many of us are going to miss the guy?

I'm going to miss him about as much as Northcutt.

BE couldn't catch a ball to the chin even if a c#ck was already halfway down his throat!

He made some very nice plays for us. He had a bad year and still had almost 900 yards, and that is with FOUR different QB's, including Dorsey and Bruce G - ugh. He was a good WR, and if we were not starting over he would be our WR. He dropped 29 passes last season, and I believe Dallas Clark dropped 21. When you're targeted that much you drop some passes. He wasn't glue hands but come on now.........

He made some very nice plays for us. He had a bad year and still had almost 900 yards, and that is with FOUR different QB's, including Dorsey and Bruce G - ugh. He was a good WR, and if we were not starting over he would be our WR. He dropped 29 passes last season, and I believe Dallas Clark dropped 21. When you're targeted that much you drop some passes. He wasn't glue hands but come on now.........

He was average with 1 good year.

Terrance Mathis (former Jet that went to Atlanta) had the SAME MO.

Oh yes, he has potential to be a top 5 receiver (amazing physical skill set) but would rather spend all night drinking and living it up than WORK to be a better WR.

The ONLY time he had a great season JJ was up his ass the whole time.

That's not a good receiver to me.

You have to WANT it, not think you can slide by on your physical attributes alone.

I hate when people dig up old history on players, what they did and didnt do wrong... i mean Braylon wasnt perfect.. he had good and bad games.. made great catches and dropped alot of easy catches.. but im still gonna miss him.. he was a good player.. and I do think he liked playing for the Browns.. even though our fans were never easy on him..

p.s. Mary kay Cabot is a c.u.n.t..

Braylon was a key part of loserfest last year. Find one credible source that thinks BE was in the Browns future and you've found an idiot.

The only thing he didn't manage to do here and its a shame was be cheered when injured and cry.

Archived