THE BROWNS BOARD

Why I like football over baseball

Guest TheJokersWILD

Guest TheJokersWILD

And the fact that there are countless former Indians playing in the post season this year. Manny Ramirez,Jim Thome,Ronny Belliard,Cliff Lee,Victor Martinez,C.C. Sabathia,Casey Blake and probably many more. I am done with the Indians and have been for about two years now.

And the fact that there are countless former Indians playing in the post season this year. Manny Ramirez,Jim Thome,Ronny Belliard,Cliff Lee,Victor Martinez,C.C. Sabathia,Casey Blake and probably many more. I am done with the Indians and have been for about two years now.

Oh, you nailed it why baseball sucks. Until there's revenue sharing, the Indians and KC are just farm teams for the Yankees, Red Socks, and Dodgers.

Watching the MLB postseason, here are the former Indians list I came up with:

Paul Byrd - Boston

Victor Martinez - Boston

Mark Derosa - St Louis

Cliff Lee - Philly

Ben Francisco - Philly

CC Sabathia - New York

Carl Pavano - Minnesota

Rafael Betancourt - Colorado

Ronnie Belliard - Los Angeles

Casey Blake - Los Angeles

Jim Thome - Los Angeles

Manny Ramirez - Los Angeles

Did I miss anyone? That's 12!

Oh, you nailed it why baseball sucks. Until there's revenue sharing, the Indians and KC are just farm teams for the Yankees, Red Socks, and Dodgers.

The problem in baseball is that the few big market owners, and the Players Association control everything...and they WANT the likes of the Yankees and Red Sox to have unfettered spending power.

The "problem" however is that baseball has in fact been the one sport that the results have turned out to be more egalitarian. Since 1970 (roughly the beginning of divisional play and free agency) more different teams have won a World Series in Baseball than have won titles in the other major sports:

Baseball has had 19 different teams win titles since 1970. (Orioles, Pirates, As, Reds, Yanks, Phillies, Dodgers, Cards, Tigers, Royals, Mets, Twins, Blue Jays, Braves, Marlins, Diamondbacks, Angels, Red Sox, White Sox) That is 63% of the existing teams.

Football (NFL) has had only 15 different title winners since 1970: Colts, Cowboys, Dolphins, Steelers, Raiders, 49ers, Redskins, Bears, Giants, Packers, Broncos, Rams, Ravens, Patriots, Buccaneers. That is only 46.8% of the existing teams.

Basketball (NBA only) has had only 14 different title winners since 1970: Knicks, Bucks, Lakers, Celtics, Warriors, Sonics, Bullets/Wizards, Blazers, 76ers, Pistons, Bulls, Rockets, Spurs, Heat. That is only 45% of the existing franchises.

(this could be higher if you include ABA titles won by the Pacers and Nets)

Hockey has had only 15 Stanley Cup winners since 1970: Bruins, Canadiennes, Flyers, Islanders, Oilers, Flames, Penguins, Rangers, Avalanche, Red Wings, Stars, Devils, Lightning, Hurricanes, Ducks. That is 50% of the existing franchises.

The big market baseball teams and MLBPA always cite these facts for why there should be no salary cap. Of course they ignore the fact that the Yankees can buy up the best players and have a 200+ million dollar payroll where the Royals and Pirates, etc. can barely put together a 30 million dollar payroll.

The Lakers, the Trojans, the Dodgers, and the Angels... blow me, Pittsburgh. On top of that, Pittsburgh is in Pittsburgh.

(Whereas the Chargers or Jaguars will be in the City of Industry in 2011.)

If everyone of those teams you mentione pull a Chicago Cubs and don't win a title for the next 100 years, I wouldn't shed a tear.....but then I will probably be dead in 100 years. OK, so, we'll just limit it to my short life expectancy span.

The Lakers, the Trojans, the Dodgers, and the Angels... blow me, Pittsburgh. On top of that, Pittsburgh is in Pittsburgh.

(Whereas the Chargers or Jaguars will be in the City of Industry in 2011.)

But, I will make this deal with you, LA boy (of course that could be a reference to you as Lower Akron boy), I will allow The Clippers or the Kings to win a title in my lifetime.....don't say I never did anything nice for you.

Archived