THE BROWNS BOARD

Hard to imagine an uglier win

Guest Masters

Guest Masters

I think Pat nails it with this article.

Hard to imagine an uglier win

by Pat McManamon on October 11, 2009

in Browns, McManamon, vs. Bills (2009)

I'm not sure what to take from the Browns win on Sunday — except that after losing 10 games in a row, it's good to win one.

That being said, it's not exactly one to build on.

Buffalo looked completely inept. Trent Edwards was easily the worst quarterback I've seen this season (now that's saying something). And were it not for a fumbled punt late in regulation that game might have lasted as long as the Bengals game did, with neither team able to … well … win.

The Browns did not look their gift horse in the mouth, and took advantage of the fumble to kick the game-winning field goal.

But the Browns didn't play well.

No way around it. Two pass completions. Giving up 145 yards rushing. No big plays on offense. No touchdowns.

With the exception of some individuals, the Browns didn't play well at all.

But Buffalo played worse — giving back many of those rushing yard on nine nearly inexplicable false start penalties.

It was a game that set professional football back years.

But when the year ends, it'll count as a win.

I guess.

Random thoughts

–There's really no way to put a pretty face on a game that included nine false start penalties by one team and nine dropped passes by the other.

–Bills QB Trent Edwards said of the false starts: "Their D-line, we saw on tape, tended to jump offside a little bit, so we were using some hard counts. We were using some quick counts as well. I think that's what got us is some of our quick counts, for some reason or other, we weren't set."

–Safety Mike Adams said he walked over to coach Eric Mangini and took the monkey off the coach's back following his first win as Browns coach. It will be interesting to see how the Browns react having finally won — but playing the next game at Pittsburgh will not be easy.

–That could be the understatement of the year. The Browns haven't beat Pittsburgh since the days of John Henry Johnson.

–Dave Zastudil had the game of his life punting. He had seven punts downed inside the 20, three inside the 5. Amazing performance on a very windy day. Interesting that his worst punt of the day led to Roscoe Parrish's fumble as he tried to pick up the ball on the bounce.

–The Browns were quite elated with the win. Mangini acted like he'd won a playoff game, and the relief he showed seemed immense. The pressure has to grow internally when a team struggles — and the evidence is the way a team reacts when it finally wins.

–Among the statements: "I think what we did carried over into this week," from Derek Anderson. "The best team won today," said Josh Cribbs. "It's a positive and it's something we can continue to build on," Mangini said. Maybe I was watching a different game.

–Honestly … that might have been the worst game I've seen in more than two decades of covering and watching NFL games.

–Pitiful. Really, that's what it was. Pitiful

http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/mcmanamon/2009...-an-uglier-win/

Our special teams outplayed the bills special teams and that was the only real highlight in the game..and we broke another alltime browns lowest passing record...yeah thats something to be proud of..even this clubs history is being marred now..

Guest Masters
Defense didn't impress you again this week?

Zombo

Only if I was impressed by CLE giving up 145 yards on the ground instead of their average coming into the game.

Because outside of CLE winning, there were little to no team positives in that game, outside of the play of the special teams unit.

Shit yes there was. One HUGE positive. WE WON THE GAME. Thats a pretty big positive my man. I think that you want us to lose just so you can bitch here everyday about the same shit. Switch it up a little.

Oh and Dave Zati (damn im not even going to try the rest) is the best pucter in the league. Send him to the pro bowl and give that a guy a raise. Ive never seen a punter win a game before. He won that game.

Guest Masters
Shit yes there was. One HUGE positive. WE WON THE GAME. Thats a pretty big positive my man. I think that you want us to lose just so you can bitch here everyday about the same shit. Switch it up a little.

Oh and Dave Zati (damn im not even going to try the rest) is the best pucter in the league. Send him to the pro bowl and give that a guy a raise. Ive never seen a punter win a game before. He won that game.

:rolleyes:

I don't want CLE to lose and I hate having to bitch about the Browns. My track record over the years has been to try and find as many positives as possible from every game (and I did say a win was a positive). I just don't see that as a huge positive as far as the team goes, based on what actually occured on the field.

I just refuse to pretend that game, or last weeks was anything more than they actually were.

:rolleyes:

I don't want CLE to lose and I hate having to bitch about the Browns. My track record over the years has been to try and find as many positives as possible from every game (and I did say a win was a positive). I just don't see that as a huge positive as far as the team goes, based on what actually occured on the field.

I just refuse to pretend that game, or last weeks was anything more than they actually were.

Good luck with that. While you are sitting in the corner not having any fun, I will be on the dance floor living it up. Let me know when you want to join. :) My goal is to make you a postitve person and get you dancing Masters.

The defense wasn't overly impressive considering who they faced. They now go against 2 teams they don't matchup well against Pittsburgh/Green Bay so we will get a better read on the them. Teams that can score and rack up yards are a problem for the Browns considering the offense has/is been set to ground 0. They just can't keep up.

If the defense was better, it would lead to a better team, but it is what it is.

Guest Masters
Good luck with that. While you are sitting in the corner not having any fun, I will be on the dance floor living it up. Let me know when you want to join. :) My goal is to make you a postitve person and get you dancing Masters.

Then show me a Browns team that went out and won a game, or a team that looks to be getting better. Neither have occured yet from what I have seen.

Then show me a Browns team that went out and won a game, or a team that looks to be getting better. Neither have occured yet from what I have seen.

Well in case you didnt notice we won YESTERDAY.

And the team is getting better

A.) because we won instead of lost (and please save the Bills are worse then us BS, they should have beat the Patriots Game 1 this year and are a NFL football team and was favored to beat us)

B.) The D has really stepped up the past two weeks. That is by far BETTER than the first 3 games of the season. Is that not progress? We held a team to 3 points....... That is improving in my mind.

C.) The running game is BETTER

D.)special teams gets BETTER every week it seems like.

way to be positive after a win......

I was looking for the hell yeah we won threads but all I see is a bunch of negative people posting negative shit.

Did you not just read the article in the OP? Dude, we're talking about an article bashing the game. If you don't want to hear comments about it, don't read the article, and get the fvck out of this thread.

In case you didn't notice, we just won 6-3 over possibly the worst team in our conference other than ourselves, and set a new futility record for passing in an NFL game.

What fvcking planet are you from?

Did you not just read the article in the OP? Dude, we're talking about an article bashing the game. If you don't want to hear comments about it, don't read the article, and get the fvck out of this thread.

In case you didn't notice, we just won 6-3 over possibly the worst team in our conference other than ourselves, and set a new futility record for passing in an NFL game.

What fvcking planet are you from?

:)

Only if I was impressed by CLE giving up 145 yards on the ground instead of their average coming into the game.

I thought the defense played really well.

In the last two games, we have played nine quarters and the defense has only surrendered one touchdown.

Yesterday we had a pass rush, we had a lot of gang tackling and tackles administered at the point of attack, we had a very sticky pass defense, and we only surrendered a field goal.

Throw in the great special teams play and two different backs running for 100 yards for us in two weeks ... if he can get the passing game going we're going to be a pretty good team.

Zombo

way to be positive after a win......

I was looking for the hell yeah we won threads but all I see is a bunch of negative people posting negative shit.

Getting a little tired of the "Where's the whoop whoop for the win you lousy Browns' fans?" I think it's safe to say the ALL browns' fans are thrilled the Browns won. But to get all excited about it isn't justified.. Horrible game from both sides. Whoop Whoop

Guest Masters
I thought the defense played really well.

In the last two games, we have played nine quarters and the defense has only surrendered one touchdown.

Yesterday we had a pass rush, we had a lot of gang tackling and tackles administered at the point of attack, we had a very sticky pass defense, and we only surrendered a field goal.

Throw in the great special teams play and two different backs running for 100 yards for us in two weeks ... if he can get the passing game going we're going to b a pretty good team.

Zombo

We have also seen that same thing from the previous D under RAC. BUF O is as terrible as the Browns. You'll have to forgive my lack of excitement over keeping BUF statistically to what they have pretty much done the last 2 weeks, except for the rushing yards allowed. You will not beat a quality team by giving up that much on the ground.

Yesterday CLE had a pass rush against a team who has OL troubles of past Browns team propotions. Look at what BUF O has done the last two weeks. Let's not fool ourselves on thsi.

ST play was great for CLE. Of course that is nothing new this year or from past years.

Running all over a team that gave up 250 yards on the ground the previous week, is missing all of their starting LBs, and their starting saftey is not something I'd hang my hat on.

Well in case you didnt notice we won YESTERDAY.

And the team is getting better

A.) because we won instead of lost (and please save the Bills are worse then us BS, they should have beat the Patriots Game 1 this year and are a NFL football team and was favored to beat us)

B.) The D has really stepped up the past two weeks. That is by far BETTER than the first 3 games of the season. Is that not progress? We held a team to 3 points....... That is improving in my mind.

C.) The running game is BETTER

D.)special teams gets BETTER every week it seems like.

Change that to "they were given the game YESTERDAY" and it will be more accurate. Buffalo did more to lose that game than Cleveland did to win it.

Change that to "they were given the game YESTERDAY" and it will be more accurate. Buffalo did more to lose that game than Cleveland did to win it.

Did WE win??????????? Thats what I thought there.

Now go in your corner and be negative all by yourself.

Did WE win??????????? Thats what I thought there.

Now go in your corner and be negative all by yourself.

LOL....unlike you, I am concerned with how the team plays, win or lose. Yes, getting the win was nice. But the team played like shit, and NO SPIN you put on it will change that fact. Come out of your dream world where ONE win makes it all better. There are 15 other games that count too.

I'm not with this "we won but its not good" thing.

Winning cures all. Winning lucky, winning ugly, whatever. Winning works wonders for athletes' confidence. Its an elusive thing and Pittsburg better be ready! :)

Greythan, Buffalo won a game before facing us. It doesn't seem that winning cured anything for them.

Masters is done drinking the Kool-Aid. Stop trying to find positives in a shit performance against a shit team and recognize that the team as a whole is not getting better and there are a lot of losses coming our way if we have to rely on opponents 'out-sucking us' to win football games.

I'm done with the Kool-Aid. Prove to me you are getting better. Win games. No excuses.

LOL....unlike you, I am concerned with how the team plays, win or lose. Yes, getting the win was nice. But the team played like shit, and NO SPIN you put on it will change that fact. Come out of your dream world where ONE win makes it all better. There are 15 other games that count too.

Nope I will stay in my dream world and I bet it is much better than you and Masters very dark and dull world.

Oh and the team DIDN'T play like shit. The offense played like shit. Get it straight.

Yep, sure will there big guy. But seriousy if you didnt understand it the first time I will tell you again. WE did not play like shit. OOR offense played like shit. 2 out of the 3 units played lights out.

How can you say that when the defense gave up almost 150 rush yards to a team that has no offensive line? Doesn't matter though, we'll agree to disagree.....or disagree to disagree, whatever way...lol

How can you say that when the defense gave up almost 150 rush yards to a team that has no offensive line? Doesn't matter though, we'll agree to disagree.....or disagree to disagree, whatever way...lol

We gave up 3 points. And Buffalo is pretty good running the ball. I think they were ranked 12th or something like that. Pretty good for being a bad team.

And I thought last week we did a pretty good job against a now 4-1 team. We are getting better that is for sure. Remember the Ravens game? My goodness.

So agree to disagree it is. :)

Archived