THE BROWNS BOARD

Singletary

eqrulz101

Not sure it worked to well - did you see Vernon Davis appear to pull up on that ball in the endzone? He didn't even try.

Guess he figured catching the one TD is enough for the night.

I did see that and I bet after Singletary sees that watching the game tape Davis will set the bench a game or two.

He may have fire, but he looked like RAC calling plays at the end of the game. Run twice with 20 seconds and no time outs?

The simple fact that they were even still in that game with 20 seconds left speaks volumes about his potential as a coach, especially considering how atrocious that team has been and the fact that he was just dropped into that position a couple weeks ago, mid-season.

In 2 weeks he has transformed that team from a CFL team to what is starting to look like an actual NFL team.

Give the guy a little time.

Guest ATENEARS

Horrible play calling at the end. Why did it take Hill so long to line up the offense and spike the ball? Then why in the world would you run it twice to run out the clock and end the game on a loss?

Hill was horrible and was saved at least three times from throwing an interception because of penalties, but still managed to throw the key one even later in the game. He's horrible.

Singletary has a lot of fire, but that clock management and play selection was horrible ... might be the worst finish to an NFL game I've ever seen. Made RAC look good, seriously.

Horrible play calling at the end. Why did it take Hill so long to line up the offense and spike the ball? Then why in the world would you run it twice to run out the clock and end the game on a loss?

Hill was horrible and was saved at least three times from throwing an interception because of penalties, but still managed to throw the key one even later in the game. He's horrible.

Singletary has a lot of fire, but that clock management and play selection was horrible ... might be the worst finish to an NFL game I've ever seen. Made RAC look good, seriously.

Oh good Lord.

I went to bed, but thems some strong words.

Guest Masters

Oh good Lord.

I went to bed, but thems some strong words.

It was bad, bad, bad at the end. But this isn't the first close game SF has lost this season.

Singletary won't last. He's too emotional after every game. Players need a stoic, steady leader. I'm not suggesting RAC's style is the best, but he's more lethargic than stoic.

The Cards are still only about the 6th or 7th best team in the NFC right now at best. Just another team who went out and got a bright young coach (Whisenhunt).

I see the Giants, Eagles, Redskins, Bucs, Bears, Vikings, Falcons, Panthers and Packers all as probably better than them. And Dallas pending how they play the rest of the season.

@DTBH: out of your list, the panthers, bucs and giants are the only teams that really stand out as better than the cards. maybe the redskins, but i just can't believe they're any good. it makes no sense to me whatsoever that they're a quality team. on paper, they should go 4-12. somehow, though, they keep winning. the others are all pretty much the same "middle of the pack" type team; they do some things well but are fatally flawed.

if minnesota can't run, they're done. green bay's D is falling apart. philly's offense is too inconsistent and horrible on the goal line. until the bears get orton back, they're screwed. once they do, they're better than the cards. the falcons are, for me, the middle of the pack team with the most potential. depending on whether ryan can keep his stellar play going, they could be a team to reckon with. it's more likely that they'll fold at some point, but they have a strong defense and a crushing running attack. they and the vikings are essentially the same team except that atlanta's got a far better, albeit untested, QB.

and that playcalling at the end: singletary's not long for this league if he doesn't correct that with the swiftness. that was some of the worst clock management and playcalling i've seen this side of rac, herm edwards and andy reid. they should form a club.

Sometimes the rah rah shit works (Cowher, Ditka), sometimes it doesn't (Les Steckle, anyone who has coached the Bengals).

I laughed when the new coach took over for Clemson this year and got them all rah rah and did the Tiger Walk and gave the Knute Rockne speech ... then got their ass handed to them at home.

The bottom line is Sumarai Mike is 0-2, but you can't judge a coach who didn't get his own training camp and off-season, that's when the real coaching is done. Not the stuff on TV.

Zombo

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

Interesting article:

Although there’s no way to predict with any certainty the course of action that Niners ownership will take regarding its head-coaching situation at the end of this season, the consensus among team insiders is that Mike Singletary could be sitting pretty after moving his record to 3-3 as the interim head coach following San Francisco’s 24-14 victory over the Jets.

Singletary’s inspired troops pulled off a second straight upset victory over an opponent from the AFC East, which has a 9-4 overall record this season against NFC West opponents. But unlike a week earlier, when they knocked off the Bills 10-3 on the road despite being outgained 350-195, the Niners did a convincing number on the Jets, dominating the clock and controlling the line of scrimmage with a physical, aggressive approach that has been the team’s trademark since Singletary took over for the departed Mike Nolan six games ago.

In the eyes of many daily team observers, Singletary had already shown enough to deserve the head-coaching job beyond this season before the victory over the Jets.

“I’d be very surprised if he wasn’t the head coach next year,” a longtime team insider told PFW late last week. “The players are really backing him. He has changed the culture in a very short time. And he appears to be operating with a lot of confidence and self-assurance.”

And this definitely isn't getting enough attention:

The Niners players also love QB Shaun Hill, who replaced the struggling J.T. O’Sullivan in the second half of Singletary’s debut as the head coach and has been doing an excellent job ever since.

“If he can keep it up, I think they’ve found their guy,” the insider said of Shaun Hill. “The fact he has a passer rating over 90 (95.5) is remarkable. I don’t know, maybe it’s because he throws such an ugly pass, but he is really under the radar. If Alex Smith was doing what he’s been doing, they would be talking him up like Matt Ryan in Atlanta.

“He takes practice so seriously, and the offensive line really appreciates his toughness and his ability to slide away and avoid pressure. And he’s so humble and unassuming in the locker room.”

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

This guy has really impressed me. Going 5-2 down the stretch is really impressive, even if the Niners were playing mediocre to average teams. ]

Looks like the 49ers' FO is impressed as well:

FOUR YEARS, $10 MILLION FOR SINGLETARY

It should be interesting to see what he does with Mike Martz. Their offense was ranked 24th in the league, but Martz had Shaun Hill playing pretty well down the stretch (87.1 QBR). Not sure that switching coordinators would be the wisest move.

Archived