THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Bring in Tight End

Zombo

Wilson: Browns sign TE Michael Gaines

by Aaron Wilson

October 21, 02009

Print This

The Cleveland Browns signed veteran free agent tight end Michael Gaines, a former Chicago Bears player, today.

Gaines is a former Carolina Panthers seventh-round draft pick, selected in the 2004 NFL draft.

Gaines has also played for the Buffalo Bills and the Detroit Lions.

The 6-foot-4, 280-pounder caught a career-high 25 passes for 215 yards ad two touchdowns in 2007 with the Bills.

Gaines was cut by the Bears over the weekend following Chicago trading for defensive end Gaines Adams.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Wilson...el-Gaines.html#

Wilson: Browns sign TE Michael Gaines

by Aaron Wilson

October 21, 02009

Print This

The Cleveland Browns signed veteran free agent tight end Michael Gaines, a former Chicago Bears player, today.

Gaines is a former Carolina Panthers seventh-round draft pick, selected in the 2004 NFL draft.

Gaines has also played for the Buffalo Bills and the Detroit Lions.

The 6-foot-4, 280-pounder caught a career-high 25 passes for 215 yards ad two touchdowns in 2007 with the Bills.

Gaines was cut by the Bears over the weekend following Chicago trading for defensive end Gaines Adams.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Wilson...el-Gaines.html#

Time to buy my Gaines jersey!

That Martin Rucker must have sucked ballz. cant even get a sniff???...Thanks Phil.

I don't know anything about the guy, but his size is impressive and the fact that he had some production with the Bills two years ago tells us that at least he can play in this league ... apparently Rucker can't.

Zombo

I don't know anything about the guy, but his size is impressive and the fact that he had some production with the Bills two years ago tells us that at least he can play in this league ... apparently Rucker can't.

Zombo

Dig it..but he was backup to Royal in Buffalo i do believe... That scares me ;)

from the OBR on our new TIght End

If you're looking for a pass-catching option that can create mismatches with opposing linebackers and safeties, then you signed the wrong guy. At 6-4 and 277 pounds, Gaines is a solid blocker -- a third tackle, as the saying goes -- and doesn't mind getting tough in the running game, plus he receives the ball well enough to be red-zone target on play-action passes. But in terms of splitting the seam like Kellen Winslow used to do for the Browns, he doesn't have the athleticism to play that role. He's also not much of a performer on special teams. For the most part, Gaines was simply a victim of the numbers game with Greg Olsen, Desmond Clark and Kellen Davis already in Chicago.

Off the field, Gaines is a sweetheart of a guy and a good interview, so you don't have to worry about him fitting in the locker room anywhere he goes.

Archived