THE BROWNS BOARD

Green Bay's Clay Matthews Jr on his dad being a Brown

ATENEARS

A homecoming of sorts for Green Bay Packers rookie Clay Matthews III

By Starting Blocks

October 22, 2009, 9:29AM

Green Bay Packers rookie outside linebacker Clay Matthews III will return to a city where his father established a solid football career.

Matthews' father, Clay Jr., played linebacker for 16 seasons (1978-93) with the Cleveland Browns after being drafted by Cleveland in the first round of the 1978 NFL Draft out of Southern California. Clay Jr. holds the Browns franchise record with 232 games played.

Clay III was seven when his dad last played here.

In Packers.com:

"Unfortunately I was too young to really appreciate what he was doing, not only within football, but especially in Cleveland," Matthews said. "I can't remember a whole lot. I remember going to a few games and obviously living out there. People have asked me if this game means a little bit more, but I'm going to approach it like any other game. At the same time, I understand what he was able to do there."

Clay III said his father will not be in attendance on Sunday because he is traveling to Washington to watch Matthews' younger brother, Casey, a junior linebacker at the University of Oregon.

Wish this guy was playing for our Browns. What a bummer he isn't.

I agree, we go out and try to acquire all of these 'ohio guys' to make a connection with the fans. This Southern Californian right here (Clay Jr.) would have been more of an 'ohioan' than most we reached for.

I agree, we go out and try to acquire all of these 'ohio guys' to make a connection with the fans. This Southern Californian right here (Clay Jr.) would have been more of an 'ohioan' than most we reached for.

That's because SoCal is where all the cool people live!

Not only him, but I wish we had the whole GB linebacking unit with him and Hawk! Even though AJ hasn't exactly torn up the pro's yet, I'd still love to have them on my team.

I heard Hawk is losing playing time to other guys. But they have a LB injury this week (Brandon Chillar). Also GBs middle linebacker Nick Barnett was Derek Anderson's teammate at Oregon State.

Archived