THE BROWNS BOARD

The QB Saga

WPB Dawg Fan

I know we have been patting ourselves on the back for the lack of QB threads...but I guess I just couldn't resist. Point of fact, though, is that the real issue I am trying to address is the DECISIONS, not the actual QB's.

First, the competition. I actually think that Mangini truly believed that a competition would bring out the BEST in one or both of the QB's. He tried very hard (on the surface at least) to make things equal in repetitions and game situations.....I really can't blame him for the fact that NEITHER really stepped up to win the starting slot.

Second, Quinn starting the season. Let's face it...they had to turn the keys over...and with the better stats (although not really good) in pre-season...Quinn won the job. The stats, combined with the fact that he was an unknown commodity, made it difficult NOT to give him the start. Unfortunately....

Third, the PULLING of Quinn. This is probably one of the most scrutinized moves this year. WHY would you pull a young 1st round QB in only his 3rd game??? I for one don't believe he was set up to fail...he just did. I mean, if he came in and killed it, we would be talking about MANGENIOUS....not worrying about our 2nd win. Anyway, here is a possible answer: 9.8 to 8.9 to 5.7 What is that you ask? That is the YARDS PER CATCH. Each week Quinn was still completing passes...but the LENGTH of the passes were going down. With all the checkdowns...you would anticipate low sack totals...but in 10 quarters he was sacked 10 times. Now, I am not blaming all the sacks on Quinn...but something just doesn't jive there. I looked back at the games some...and what I saw was a QB that was THINKING....he wasn't checking down FAST...he was holding onto the ball trying to DECIDE if the first option was open....then second guessing himself and checking down and dumping the ball off....in effect, holding on to the ball too long (taking sacks) and still not pulling the trigger. A QB cannot second guess himself...and Quinn was falling into that trap. He HAD to be pulled.

Fourth, DA keeping the start...we are ALL frustrated at this point. DA is putting on EPIC amounts of STINK! So why is DA still starting??? Well, there are 2 reasons IMHO...and one of them IS FINANCIAL. The PRIMARY reason, however, is that this team is still not in a position that will allow a QB with a shaken psyche to come in and succeed. If there is one thing this organization does not want to do is revisit Couch. The hope here is that as the OL gels...and the young RB's and WR's get in step...the surrounding talent will be there later in the season. The SECOND reason...is the finances. Quinn is a CHEAP QB at $700k per year if he doesn't hit his escalators. If he does, he starts getting paid as a franchise type QB. The Browns have NO IDEA if he is a franchise QB...and don't want to be forced into a decision based on that question in the off-season. He would be IMPOSSIBLE to move with that salary if we want to dump him...and he would be IMPOSSIBLE to keep if he didn't just light up the field. So, they wait until the bye week (or the second half of the Chicago game...he can't make the escalators at that point). This does several things. It gives him time to become more attuned to the new receivers...it gives him more time to overcome the issues he had at the beginning of the season...and it prevents him from having to perform at a TOP level to be retained.

It seems to me that the Browns brass are counting on keeping Quinn at the current low pay rate for next year. He will either be a cheap starter (if he does well in the second half) or a well priced backup (if he doesn't show much). The Browns can then renegotiate the contract if Quinn becomes the starting calibre QB they hoped for.

I know we have been patting ourselves on the back for the lack of QB threads...but I guess I just couldn't resist. Point of fact, though, is that the real issue I am trying to address is the DECISIONS, not the actual QB's.

First, the competition. I actually think that Mangini truly believed that a competition would bring out the BEST in one or both of the QB's. He tried very hard (on the surface at least) to make things equal in repetitions and game situations.....I really can't blame him for the fact that NEITHER really stepped up to win the starting slot.

Second, Quinn starting the season. Let's face it...they had to turn the keys over...and with the better stats (although not really good) in pre-season...Quinn won the job. The stats, combined with the fact that he was an unknown commodity, made it difficult NOT to give him the start. Unfortunately....

Third, the PULLING of Quinn. This is probably one of the most scrutinized moves this year. WHY would you pull a young 1st round QB in only his 3rd game??? I for one don't believe he was set up to fail...he just did. I mean, if he came in and killed it, we would be talking about MANGENIOUS....not worrying about our 2nd win. Anyway, here is a possible answer: 9.8 to 8.9 to 5.7 What is that you ask? That is the YARDS PER CATCH. Each week Quinn was still completing passes...but the LENGTH of the passes were going down. With all the checkdowns...you would anticipate low sack totals...but in 10 quarters he was sacked 10 times. Now, I am not blaming all the sacks on Quinn...but something just doesn't jive there. I looked back at the games some...and what I saw was a QB that was THINKING....he wasn't checking down FAST...he was holding onto the ball trying to DECIDE if the first option was open....then second guessing himself and checking down and dumping the ball off....in effect, holding on to the ball too long (taking sacks) and still not pulling the trigger. A QB cannot second guess himself...and Quinn was falling into that trap. He HAD to be pulled.

Fourth, DA keeping the start...we are ALL frustrated at this point. DA is putting on EPIC amounts of STINK! So why is DA still starting??? Well, there are 2 reasons IMHO...and one of them IS FINANCIAL. The PRIMARY reason, however, is that this team is still not in a position that will allow a QB with a shaken psyche to come in and succeed. If there is one thing this organization does not want to do is revisit Couch. The hope here is that as the OL gels...and the young RB's and WR's get in step...the surrounding talent will be there later in the season. The SECOND reason...is the finances. Quinn is a CHEAP QB at $700k per year if he doesn't hit his escalators. If he does, he starts getting paid as a franchise type QB. The Browns have NO IDEA if he is a franchise QB...and don't want to be forced into a decision based on that question in the off-season. He would be IMPOSSIBLE to move with that salary if we want to dump him...and he would be IMPOSSIBLE to keep if he didn't just light up the field. So, they wait until the bye week (or the second half of the Chicago game...he can't make the escalators at that point). This does several things. It gives him time to become more attuned to the new receivers...it gives him more time to overcome the issues he had at the beginning of the season...and it prevents him from having to perform at a TOP level to be retained.

It seems to me that the Browns brass are counting on keeping Quinn at the current low pay rate for next year. He will either be a cheap starter (if he does well in the second half) or a well priced backup (if he doesn't show much). The Browns can then renegotiate the contract if Quinn becomes the starting calibre QB they hoped for.

WPB, i have some thoughts on this, but i've conditioned myself to avoid QB threads. It's going to take me a while...........

Archived