THE BROWNS BOARD

Which quarterback in the draft you like the most?

dawgpound3

I like McCoy more and more as his draft stock is falling. He doesn't have the huge upside, but I think he'll be a good pro...quality backup at worst. He has four years of experience at a bigtime school, and has played in and won some big games. He's accurate, smart, tough, and mobile. I don't see him as the "answer," but I'd love to get him in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I like McCoy more and more as his draft stock is falling. He doesn't have the huge upside, but I think he'll be a good pro...quality backup at worst. He has four years of experience at a bigtime school, and has played in and won some big games. He's accurate, smart, tough, and mobile. I don't see him as the "answer," but I'd love to get him in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I actually see Clausen as a tough mofo. He can scramble, and is better than Mccoy. I want "the answer" to our problem. QB is a must for us. We got young recievers. They learn this year, and when we draft our "Franchise QB", whether that means Clausen or Locker, or just drafting an QB at the 2011 draft, we'll be set.

I actually see Clausen as a tough mofo. He can scramble, and is better than Mccoy. I want "the answer" to our problem. QB is a must for us. We got young recievers. They learn this year, and when we draft our "Franchise QB", whether that means Clausen or Locker, or just drafting an QB at the 2011 draft, we'll be set.

"Better than McCoy"? McCoy is fast....as in 4.5 40 and looks it on the field. Career 77% completion and 39 collegiate wins. I'm going to disagree. McCoy has a much better arm and much better accuracy.

Alo, who do you see most fit at the QB position that is ready to make the transition to the pro's without needing to have time to develop?

IMO McCoy is looking good especially after watching some of the Locker video's you posted.

IMO McCoy is looking good especially after watching some of the Locker video's you posted.

If I posted clips of McCoy in the Texas Tech, Colorado, and Oklahoma games, you'd say, "The last thing we need is another Brady Quinn." Of all of the top QB prospects, he's been the least impressive (excluding Jevan Snead).

My tentative QB rankings would go as follows:

• 1. Sam Bradford

2. Jimmy Clausen

3a. Tony Pike

3b. Colt McCoy

I didn't include Jake Locker because I think he played himself out of 2010 consideration today; he needs another year to refine his skills. And Ryan Mallett should be somewhere on the list - I just need to watch some more of him first.

I have serious concerns about all of these guys. And unless we bring in a veteran OC, I don't trust our coaching staff to develop any of them.

If I posted clips of McCoy in the Texas Tech, Colorado, and Oklahoma games, you'd say, "The last thing we need is another Brady Quinn."

I know what you mean in terms of pure passing, but he's more of a playmaker than Quinn. He doesn't go down easy and can run with it. And assuming McCoy is a 2nd/3rd round guy...I'm fine with a better version of Quinn.

1. Clausen - he is the only qb I'd pick in the first round, or maybe the only one I'd pick at all.

Much rather sign a solid FA veteran, like Kolb, or trade for him...

and maybe trade down a bit, and nab a bigtime cb, or just pick Suh, with Suh being the primary pick I'd take at our

regular er... high pick...

2. Pike (but not in first round) He's hurt, though.

3. McCoy (not in first round either)

I know what you mean in terms of pure passing, but he's more of a playmaker than Quinn. He doesn't go down easy and can run with it. And assuming McCoy is a 2nd/3rd round guy...I'm fine with a better version of Quinn.

Not to mention....raise you hand if you can see Quinn doing this

Yes, it was against Rice. But the man definitely has a pair. Not sure I can say the same for Quinn.

I don't think we'll be getting a qb in the draft this year. My guess is that Chad Pennington winds up a Brown.

Totally agree with you. Pennington would be a great fit for our team. I don't see us picking a qb early in the draft. Hope we would consider Daryll Clark from Penn State. Considered the 11th best qb in the draft by scouts. Which means we could get him in the 5th or 6th round. Reminds me a lot of McNabb in college. In the 5th or 6th, he has tons of upside.

post-1484-1256516571_thumb.jpg

Totally agree with you. Pennington would be a great fit for our team. I don't see us picking a qb early in the draft. Hope we would consider Daryll Clark from Penn State. Considered the 11th best qb in the draft by scouts. Which means we could get him in the 5th or 6th round. Reminds me a lot of McNabb in college. In the 5th or 6th, he has tons of upside.

Allow my PSU homerism to kick in here....

Clark is a great kid. Tough kid who is a great leader on the field and off. Works his butt off. Keeps his mouth shut and plays the game. Has the "it" factor. Darryl's problem though has been his deep ball.... he tends to consistently underthrow the deep ball, which is baffling to me because the kid is strong, very strong. He threw a perfect strike to Quarless yesterday, but he cannot do that consistently. He also has a tendency to lock onto guys a little too much, even though I will admit he is getting better at that.

Would I love Clark? Sure I would. Would I take him? I am not so sure at this point......

If I posted clips of McCoy in the Texas Tech, Colorado, and Oklahoma games, you'd say, "The last thing we need is another Brady Quinn." Of all of the top QB prospects, he's been the least impressive (excluding Jevan Snead).

My tentative QB rankings would go as follows:

• 1. Sam Bradford

2. Jimmy Clausen

3a. Tony Pike

3b. Colt McCoy

I didn't include Jake Locker because I think he played himself out of 2010 consideration today; he needs another year to refine his skills. And Ryan Mallett should be somewhere on the list - I just need to watch some more of him first.

I have serious concerns about all of these guys. And unless we bring in a veteran OC, I don't trust our coaching staff to develop any of them.

Bradford will be out 6 months and just be done with rehab right before the draft. NO WAY. McCoy or Clausen will be the safest pick.

I'm not that high on any of the QBs coming out. I like Pike, but he doesn't seem like he would hold up to the beating he'd take in the NFL. Ryan Mallet (like Alo mentioned) is definitely growing on me. I am also impressed with Blaine Gabbert (Missouri), but he's still young - one to keep an eye on though in a couple of years (as is Barkley out of USC). Locker is tough and has a strong arm, but he's raw and inconsistent.

My guess is we bring in a vet, keep BQ and Ratliff and ship DA off somewhere. Then we can concentrate on building on both sides of the ball with BPA in the draft. This team has a lot of needs.

a quality backup is exactly what we don't need. We need someone who could possibly be a franchise guy....so i say clasuen as well. Can make all the throws great arm strength and cocky.....kind of reminds me of rivers a little bit

It's not just a matter of arm strength. McCoy's looked rather skittish this year, especially in the Oklahoma game.

Per The National Football Post's Wes Bunting :

I was disappointed with the overall play of Texas QB Colt McCoy on Saturday, in particularly his inability to be decisive with the football in the face of pressure. McCoy struggled all day finding his second and third options in the pass game and looked content to stare down his initial read and wait for him to uncover. McCoy does display good anticipation and looks comfortable throwing receivers open, but too often he has his mind made up before the snap and will throw blindly or force the ball into coverage. I love McCoy’s ability to escape pressure and buy time in the pocket, but being decisive and finding your second/third reads quickly is key at the next level, and right now McCoy just doesn’t grade out very well in that area.

Through seven games, McCoy has thrown eight picks and fumbled four times. He also fumbled six times last year. It's ironic that a guy praised as a smart, playmaking QB happens to be so turnover-prone.

Through seven games, McCoy has thrown eight picks and fumbled four times. He also fumbled six times last year. It's ironic that a guy praised as a smart, playmaking QB happens to be so turnover-prone.

That doesn't seem ironic to me. He's at 99 touchdowns (plus 18 on the ground) for his career with 41 picks, and completing about 70% of his passes. That sounds like a playmaker. The meaning of "smart" is debatable for athletes, but where most of the Quinn crowd considers check downs and 3 yard dumpoffs to avoid an interception smart...I'm looking more at what he does on 3rd down, knowing when to run it, etc. When a QB takes chances, it's going to lead to touchdowns and turnovers. As long as McCoy is over the 2:1 ratio (and is completing a massive %), I don't see it as a red flag.

I admit he's looked shaky this year, but he's beaten Oklahoma three times. He's 3 for 3 in bowl games. He's made some clutch drives. Like I said I don't think he's the long-term answer, but I do think he has a pretty high "floor" as a pro.

Fair points, CIMO. Because of his great intangibles and leadership qualities, it's tough to totally dismiss McCoy. And he claims that the Missouri game was the first time he felt completely healthy after battling a nasty flu bug in mid-September.

But I'm a bit skeptical about his NFL potential, and his 14/8 TD:INT ratio this year isn't wowing me. Hopefully, he'll participate in the Senior Bowl; that'll play a big role in determining where he belongs on spectrum that has Drew Brees on one end and Graham Harrell on the other.

I admit he's looked shaky this year, but he's beaten Oklahoma three times.

21 of 39 (53.8%), 127-yrds, 1-INT, 1-TD

5-of-19 on 3rd down conversions

No those aren't DA's numbers they are McCoy's in the win over Oklahoma. It helped that Oklahoma turned the ball over 5 times.

Might want to use an asterisk next time you loft around the 'beat Oklahoma three times' line.

McCoy intrigues me, but I guess I never lost the taste of when he first came onto the scene as a freshman and wasn't Vince Young. For someone who has followed him through his career, has it been obvious progress, has he been coachable, or does he still have many tendancies now that he had then?

His total career numbers look awesome, and CIMO you make a great case for him.

Here's a good scouting report on McCoy put together by former NFL scout Jeff Risdon. Other than the estimated 40 time, I don't disagree with much in it.

Colt McCoy, QB, Texas. 6'3", 205 pounds, 4.8ish 40.

Positives: Very athletic field general with strong legs and quick feet. Quick, compact release and can throw on the move. Good accuracy with nice zip out to 25 yards. Plays in a system where he is used to hitting moving targets and making good presnap reads. Excels at feeling pressure and buying time with his legs, extending plays and keeping his wits. Has an innate sense of where to go with the ball, almost never forces passes into coverage and does a great job choosing the correct option. Knows when to throw it away or just run forward to salvage a big loss. Not a great runner but can chew up some yards with his legs, has some shiftiness and good vision as a runner. Very tough, plays hurt. Has a calming aura in the huddle. Well-respected leader who stresses the positives. Has consistently gained muscle and arm strength during his Texas career. Has every intangible a coach could want. Will have over 50 collegiate starts under his belt at an elite program.

Negatives: Comes from the same one-read shotgun spread offense that has produced numerous prominent NFL disappointments (Vince Young, Alex Smith, Tim Couch). His accuracy is good but not pinpoint a la Kurt Warner; receivers will have to break stride at times instead of catching it on the dead gallop. Does not throw a great deep ball, really loses zip beyond about 25 yards. Throws an inordinate amount of ducks for a guy with a high completion percentage. Arm strength has improved but his longer throws lack zip and urgency; needs to throw from a wider base with more leg drive when in the pocket. Very quick to tuck and run -- by design, must learn to continue through progressions beyond two. Body has taken a lot of abuse and hard hits. Not a dynamic locker room presence, which works for some but will not work for others.

NFL Comparison: Jeff Garcia the younger, Kyle Orton with speed.

Forecast: In draft terms, bears an eerie similarity at this point (late Oct.) to Brady Quinn; could go in the top five overall, could fall to the 30s. Questions about arm strength and the transition from his college offense make him more high-risk than some teams want in the 1st round. Grades right now as a second rounder but demand for quarterbacks likely keeps him in the first.

I'd pick other needs early and then go with Sean Canfield in the 5th-6th round.

He's about Anderson's size, can make most all of the throws, is hitting about 70% of his passes. Put 3TDs, 0 Ints and 327 yards on USC this last weekend... a little better than Pryor, Locker or Clausen did.... might be worth taking a look at.

Archived