THE BROWNS BOARD

Sunday with Browns Fans

kshutchins

My sister and I spent Sunday at theBrownsBoard official tailgate and if you weren't there, you missed a great time.

Roach and Don are the classiest tailgaters on the planet and put on a spread that is unbelievable. The unsung heroine is Ed's wife, Karen, who kept the table organized and the plates filled. The last time that I gathered with this crowd, Ed was using brand new shiny Coleman propane grills, but they weren't up to his high standards and it's back to the rugged charcoal cooker that made the food fantastic. I was happy to see the "I survived the dark years" button that we all wore the first time we gathered to watch a post-Modell team take the field. Since I won't be able to make the December 6th Browns Board reunion, I'll see if I can round up some "back to the dark years" buttons. <vbg>

Doug Furnier was there with his grinning son, Vince who looks fantastic. Those of you who were around when Vince had his accident will remember all the prayers and good wishes that were sent their way. It was fantastic to see his smiling face.

The Green Bay fans made a nice addition to the group. They were friendly and cheerful. Given the whipping their team was about to give ours, it was easy to see why they were so chipper.

And those Canadians, eh? They were charming, hilarious, raconteurs and true Browns fans. They, too, made the party fun. Ever cross paths with law enforcement? Apparently it's helpful to explain yourself with, "Hey, we're Canadian."

After the food and fun, we hopped on the RTA which is a stone's throw from the tailgate spot. It really was the most convenient way to get to the game, especially since I'm still hobbling from my ridiculous exercise bike injury.

Now.... Stan. What's this insane story about your flight being cancelled? "STUCK" in Las Vegas? We're supposed to believe that? Just what kind of a host ARE you? :)

I'm really not exaggerating when I say that the tailgate is great. If you're ever in Cleveland for the game, it's THE place to be. Not only that, but if you PM me, my two tickets are probably available. (They're way up under the roof but the beer guy DOES make it up that high and you won't be bothered by the birds because they circle lower than these seats. The view is fantastic! You can see all of those wide open receivers that our QB couldn't spot with a scope!)

Much apology for being a no-show, to Ed, Don, Kathy, Doug and the rest of our guest.

We showed up to catch the red-eye late on Saturday Night, paid $30 cab fare and find out the flight had been cancelled and they had us booked on the 7am flight, which wouldn't arrive in Cleveland until 2pm EST. That would not work. So we tried to catch a flight to Houston at about 1am, then a connecting flight to Cleveland that would put us in at 10:30am, whereas we could head straight downtown and catch the tailend of the tailgate. Problem was, they couldn't guarantee us on that flight, and we would have had to hang around in the airport for 3 hours before finding out. Heading back to meet our friends in downtown Vegas and returning for the 7am flight (or sleeping over night in the airport) wasn't a viable option either. So, we gave up on trying to rough our way back, booked a flight out at 3pm West Coast time, and paid another $30 cab fare and went back to stay in the 'Kentucky Derby Suite' another night and view the game fiasco with our many Cleveland friends out there. Our bitching got us somewhere though, we got some comps on future travels, and the hotel was nice enough to transport us back to the airport in their limo.

Kathy & Doug, I miss you both and am so sad to have missed you.

It's funny that you bring up the big charcoal grill (I hear it's heavy). I barely remember anything else. I think Ed's had that beast for about 6 years now.

Glad Karen was there to clean tables and all ... I was wondering who was going to do that in my absense.

How did you like our new spot? Kind of roomy, eh?

If you took any pictures, please forward them to me so I can get them up on the site.

Much apology for being a no-show, to Ed, Don, Kathy, Doug and the rest of our guest.

We showed up to catch the red-eye late on Saturday Night, paid $30 cab fare and find out the flight had been cancelled and they had us booked on the 7am flight, which wouldn't arrive in Cleveland until 2pm EST. That would not work. So we tried to catch a flight to Houston at about 1am, then a connecting flight to Cleveland that would put us in at 10:30am, whereas we could head straight downtown and catch the tailend of the tailgate. Problem was, they couldn't guarantee us on that flight, and we would have had to hang around in the airport for 3 hours before finding out. Heading back to meet our friends in downtown Vegas and returning for the 7am flight (or sleeping over night in the airport) wasn't a viable option either. So, we gave up on trying to rough our way back, booked a flight out at 3pm West Coast time, and paid another $30 cab fare and went back to stay in the 'Kentucky Derby Suite' another night and view the game fiasco with our many Cleveland friends out there. Our bitching got us somewhere though, we got some comps on future travels, and the hotel was nice enough to transport us back to the airport in their limo.

Kathy & Doug, I miss you both and am so sad to have missed you.

It's funny that you bring up the big charcoal grill (I hear it's heavy). I barely remember anything else. I think Ed's had that beast for about 6 years now.

Glad Karen was there to clean tables and all ... I was wondering who was going to do that in my absense.

How did you like our new spot? Kind of roomy, eh?

If you took any pictures, please forward them to me so I can get them up on the site.

The new spot is great! It was really easy to find and the shelter from the bridges is just enough. I took a few pictures but not very many. It will be a few days before I can get those posted.

When we drove into the lot there was a guy sitting in his car with a $5.00 sign on his windshield. We were busy looking around for familiar faces and he just ignored us. He didn't roll down his window, signal, get out of his car, wave or anything so we parked. He continued to ignore us so we never paid. There seem to have been no dire consequences stemming from this oversight. Perhaps he was blinded by our beauty. lololololol.

I did lose an earring somewhere along the way. I'm thinking it may have come off when I gave Ed a big hug. It felt just like coming home! It just wouldn't be right without Ed in his "I hate the steelers" shirt.

I kinda sorta missed yer sh8t-eating grin, Hoorta and his ever present wine selection, and a hungover Zombo recently released from custody. And what's up with Carl passing up tailgating for fishing!? I think you'll have to go back to serving breakfast to entice him back. Hey, I have nothing but fond memories from the tailgates and this one was no different.

More than one of the out-of-town tailgaters bemoaned the fact that they had trouble finding things to do other than "The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame." Maybe we should expand our tailgating guide to a full featured visitors guide complete with directions to the NFL Football Hall of Fame, Cedar Point, and other local attractions.

The Browns Board Tailgate is officially the most fun you can have at a football game when the team is lousy.

Oh... instead of Coach Howard's Peach Brandy Poundcake, we brought apples and grapes. See what you've done by mocking my cake?

I'd never make fun of your Coach Howard's Peach Brandy Poundcake ... that thing is a tailgate icon, like fruitcake is to Christmas!

I'm not vacuous enough to consider that a compliment. I know NO ONE who actually will admit to liking pound cake.

Archived