How about a front seven of:

LE - Smith

LT - Rogers

RT - Williams

RE - Wimbley

LLB - Jackson

MLB - Davis

RLB - McGinnest/Hall

With McGinnest behind Wimbley the weak side would be okay against the rush. Andra Davis seems a better fit to the 4/3 as he'd get less direct engagement from an OLineman.

Too big of a stretch for a midseason switch, but an interesting topic.

We would need the other smith in to put wimbley as a olb and get rid of mcginest and put in hall as the other olb with jackson or andra as the middle linebacker.

Otherwise we pretty much are running the same personnel. But Greythan I dont think it would hurt changing up how they linup good god anything is better than what we are doing now to get consistent pressure.

Personally, I want to see them bring up Pittman and try some 4/3...with Rogers/S.Smith at DT and Williams at one DE and Pittman/Leonard at the other. Rubin can rotate in at DT and Thomas can rotate in at DE to give a nice change of pace. As for LB's...DQ and Williams would be my choice at MLB, with Hall and Wimbley being the primary OLB's...spelled by McGinnest and Orr. I think that front 7 would be a bitch to run against...and would have tons of speed in the LB spot for coverage and lane clogging. Should free up the OLB's and S's on blitzes to get the QB as well.

I had brought the 4/3 up before...and the above is what I saw. Should be interesting anyway.

Guest Masters
How about a front seven of:

LE - Smith

LT - Rogers

RT - Williams

RE - Wimbley

LLB - Jackson

MLB - Davis

RLB - McGinnest/Hall

With McGinnest behind Wimbley the weak side would be okay against the rush. Andra Davis seems a better fit to the 4/3 as he'd get less direct engagement from an OLineman.

Too big of a stretch for a midseason switch, but an interesting topic.

I got to nit pick here icon_e_wink.gif the listing should be DT for both Rogers and Williams (RT and LT are O positions). icon_e_biggrin.gif

The Browns do play a 4-3 quite a bit. And I'd be Wimbley would (somehow) be even less effective. Though he'd be less of a liability in the run game/pass coverage. If we did it, I'd rather see Williams at the end spot and Smith at the other tackle along with Rogers.

Maybe Wimbley could be a Kiwanuka, Tuck type of pass rusher. Doubt it, though. He doesn't have the strength.

and their 2-4-5 blows goats. we need to disguise where the blitz is coming from, not let people know that our 4 down linemen are going to be the primary rushers with one possible extra blitzer coming from the inside or the slot.

our defense has been sucking because it's become predictable. why would you want to exacerbate that?

That's more of a change. but counts on Leonard/Pitman/Rubin to really step up their games when they are subbing in...

I know, but my biggest gripe about are 3-4 is actually that it is TOO DAMN BIG!!! The DL lacks side to side speed. We are basically playing 3 DT types across the line and that is why we get burned so bad when teams go outside on us.

If you look at all the GOOD 3-4 defenses, they have at least 1 (if not 2) guys at DE that are between 290 and 310. We have only Pitman (300), R.Smith (310) and Thomas (305) in that range...and R.Smith is on the IR...so Pitman and Thomas need to get in there. I think Pitman at 6'5" would give us a little more side to side and speed and allow us to do stunts with our OLB's in the 3-4 or the 4-3. We need to get some guys with at least a little speed on the DL...and not just straight ahead!!!

Baltimore has Pryce at 290 and Bannan at 310 in their starting DL!!!

Guest Masters
and their 2-4-5 blows goats. we need to disguise where the blitz is coming from, not let people know that our 4 down linemen are going to be the primary rushers with one possible extra blitzer coming from the inside or the slot.

our defense has been sucking because it's become predictable. why would you want to exacerbate that?

No kidding it does. You always know its the two DT and the two OLBs coming. I have success with that formation on Madden, but then again, I mix up my blitz. Maybe I should show RAC and Tucker.. icon_lol.gif

Guest Masters
Gee nice discussion of an option for the defense here, and yet Stan/Lums is no where to be found.

But we're the ones that don't want to concentrate on the rest of the team...

Don't forget OSUSEV. Wouldn't want him to feel left out icon_twisted.gif

We do....when we face 3 receivers, we really do play a 4-3...

Romeo is a tool.

When teams bring in 3 receivers, we go nickle...take out the beef along the line and play a 4-3....then teams run.

It isn't the 3-4....switching to a 4-3 won't do anything.....It is Romeo. Until we change that, it is always going to be something with this bunch.

Guest Masters

Romeo is a tool.

When teams bring in 3 receivers, we go nickle...take out the beef along the line and play a 4-3....then teams run.

It isn't the 3-4....switching to a 4-3 won't do anything.....It is Romeo. Until we change that, it is always going to be something with this bunch.

You nailed it.

On the line, it isn't even just the beef missing. They seem to always have the DEs trying to come off the edge as rushers, which just makes it so easy to run between the G and T.

Don't remind me.

Wimbly totally sucks at every aspect of the game. It ticks me off.

Really....what is the difference between Wimp and David McMillian??

Nothing except the name.

Guest Masters
Don't remind me.

Wimbly totally sucks at every aspect of the game. It ticks me off.

Really....what is the difference between Wimp and David McMillian??

Nothing except the name.

I would say Thompson, but I guess it would be the same point.

Romeo is a tool.

Bingo Peens, and you also are correct about Kam, he sucks at every aspect of the game, especially open field tackling.

3 options:

A) Kam forgot how to play football.

B) Our "coaches" "coached" him to play how he is.

-Use of quotations signifies the terms are used very loosely.

C) He only has one move and watching 5 minutes of tape fully prepares anyone on the opposing team to make him a non-factor.

Guest Masters
how did he have any success at all his rookie year? wtf was that?

He was just cut lose to only rush on passing downs, no tape on him, so raw athletics/speed got him by.

Guest Masters
3 options:

A) Kam forgot how to play football.

B) Our "coaches" "coached" him to play how he is.

-Use of quotations signifies the terms are used very loosely.

C) He only has one move and watching 5 minutes of tape fully prepares anyone on the opposing team to make him a non-factor.

I'll take C, with B being why that is still the case.

Guest Masters

Don't forget OSUSEV. Wouldn't want him to feel left out icon_twisted.gif

Actually he posted in here, can't knock him this time

Ooops. I missed that.

Good on you OSUSev. I am glad to see you posting elsewhere icon_razz.gif

icon_e_biggrin.gif

and, again, it comes back to, ultimately, romeo's schemes and coaches hindering this team.

he's the one teaching tucker his shitty version of the 3-4. it's his choices as LB coaches that haven't helped wimbley improve at all. i, for one, still think wimbley has the talent. we should get whoever coached dwight freeney into the monster that he is to work with wimbley. i think the two are comparable athletes.

I got to nit pick here the listing should be DT for both Rogers and Williams (RT and LT are O positions).

I was trying to be specific an indicate I'd have Rogers on the left side with Smith as opposed to with Wimbley. Cute comment either way. icon_e_wink.gif

My thinking here was that Wimbley's (supposed) athleticism bolstered by McGinnest's solid play against the run might have some degree of dynacism. I don't like Hall as an everydown OLB in a 4-3 as yet. Too much responsibility in space.

Also, by going four linemen it allows Rogers to be even more of a gap shooter as opposed to a space eater and is Williams more natural element.

Same personnel, but might create different results.

Guest Masters
we already run a 4-man line on passing downs. it doesn't work.

But those 4 guys are alwasy in pass rush mode, so to speak.

In Greythan's plan there, those OLB would really play DE in running plans. Results might not differ, but at least for some downs those guys would actually be setting up and attacking at the run, not just the pass.

Guest Masters
do you think wimbley can hold the point of attack in the run game instead of getting pushed into the secondary?

Oh, I don't. I'd sooner do that w/ Williams at one DE and Willie at the other. Wimbley would be over on the bench if I did it.

Archived