THE BROWNS BOARD

If the Bungles are remotely for real...

Buck The Frowns

The Bengals have been for real for a few years.....at least in the amount of talent they actually have. It's been a combination of a lot of things keeping them down, including an injury to Carson Palmer, the best Quarterback in the NFL no one talks about.

Coming from a Steelers fan, when I compare Palmer to Roethlisberger, I have to grudgingly give Palmer a lot of edges over Ben. It's too close and I am too biased to call out who is better....suffice to say Palmer is an incredible talent with the best deep ball in professional football.

The AFC North is very tough and will remain so for the next season.....after 2010, I won't make any predictions because we don't even know if there will be football and under what arrangement it will be.

The Bengals have been for real for a few years.....at least in the amount of talent they actually have. It's been a combination of a lot of things keeping them down, including an injury to Carson Palmer, the best Quarterback in the NFL no one talks about.

Coming from a Steelers fan, when I compare Palmer to Roethlisberger, I have to grudgingly give Palmer a lot of edges over Ben. It's too close and I am too biased to call out who is better....suffice to say Palmer is an incredible talent with the best deep ball in professional football.

The AFC North is very tough and will remain so for the next season.....after 2010, I won't make any predictions because we don't even know if there will be football and under what arrangement it will be.

what do you give palmer the edge on? wins? playoffwins? superbowl wins? palmer is more of a pure passer but ben is the better field general. hands down.

...could the Browns play in the toughest division in the NFL in 2010?

easily the toughest division. the ravens and steelers are contenders every year. the browns could easily return to form (10-6) if mangini really is mangenius, and if the bengals are for real...well then say goodbye to the NFC East being the "dominant" division.

i mean lets face it. the eagles always choke, the cowboys havent won a playoff game in like 13 years, the redskins SUCK, and the giants cant find their mojo this year. at least thats what i think. maybe N.O. really is the best team in the NFL, but the G men looked BAD.

what do you give palmer the edge on? wins? playoffwins? superbowl wins? palmer is more of a pure passer but ben is the better field general. hands down.

That is very difficult to measure. BR has had the significant advantage of having the best defense in the NFL playing on his side. I mean, it is easier to win, and come from behind when your defense holds the team to about 14 points a game. If that defense was giving up 24 points a game, BRs success and "leadership" may not be quite what we think it is.

Derrick Anderson could perhaps look like an All Pro with the supporting cast that BR gets from the rest of that team. He does his job, no doubt, but given the same peripheral advantages, I would say that Palmer is the better QB, no matter how you toss the dice.

That is very difficult to measure. BR has had the significant advantage of having the best defense in the NFL playing on his side. I mean, it is easier to win, and come from behind when your defense holds the team to about 14 points a game. If that defense was giving up 24 points a game, BRs success and "leadership" may not be quite what we think it is.

Derrick Anderson could perhaps look like an All Pro with the supporting cast that BR gets from the rest of that team. He does his job, no doubt, but given the same peripheral advantages, I would say that Palmer is the better QB, no matter how you toss the dice

Ben does have a great defense, and that does take some pressure off of him, but Ben has something like 19 or 20 4th quarter drives for wins in his young career so far. That's pretty damn good. If you look at his completion % and passer rating, they have been pretty damn good. Ben has also done it without a superstar WR. Holmes is great, but hes not a T.O. or Moss, or Fitz.

I like DA, he took the Browns to 10-6, but this year he has looked super awful. No touch. I think the kid from ND deserves a shot now.

Palmer is a great talent, he hasn't won anything though.

Well if this is true that the AFC North is the toughest division we can take two things out of this situation.

1) The good thing is that it should toughen up our team and learn how to play with the best

2) The downside is that with this its gonna be hella tough to go into the playoffs with the 3 teams in the AFC North that has a good chance at making of making the playoffs

Ben does have a great defense, and that does take some pressure off of him, but Ben has something like 19 or 20 4th quarter drives for wins in his young career so far. That's pretty damn good. If you look at his completion % and passer rating, they have been pretty damn good. Ben has also done it without a superstar WR. Holmes is great, but hes not a T.O. or Moss, or Fitz.

I like DA, he took the Browns to 10-6, but this year he has looked super awful. No touch. I think the kid from ND deserves a shot now.

Palmer is a great talent, he hasn't won anything though.

I still maintain that DA would be a decent QB on a better team. Palmer vs BR is hard to call-PGH, I think, drafts QBs for what they DON'T do as much as for what they do. They move the ball, eat clock, and don't turn the ball over often. They don't have to be spectacular, just don't lose the game. They do that extremely well. The downside of that system is that they don't come from far behind all that well. So that system goes along with a defense that does not let them get in the hole deeply. The Bungles have a more traditional approach, and probably have a better QB in the traditional sense. But one with fewer rings.

It is heartbreaking to see what the Browns and their fans are going through. It is not bad coaching IMHO, just a flat out lack of talent. A woman who is a Browns fan would be a good marriage choice, because she would surely stay with you through anything! Cleve needs about three very good consecutive drafts but I don't know if ownership is patient enough for that. There really isn't any team identity other than they are always rebuilding. Probably Mangini et al will be cut loose in December 2011 and the next group will come in to do it their way.....

Archived