THE BROWNS BOARD

Rob Ryan's showing leadership

JoeSixPat

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...sive_coo_1.html

Seeing Rob Ryan going out of his way to stand up and take responsibility for his performance and the play of the team, I can't help but wonder if this is a strategic move on his part to assert himself towards Lerner as an able Interim Head Coach that will take the reins of an out of control club.

It comes on the heels of Lerner's email to the team, and it's striking that this is Rob Ryan and not MangIdiot making the statement.

One has to wonder if these comments were approved by Mangini - who in the Parcells and Belichick tradition prefers that assistants seldom speak with the media - or if its Rob Ryan striking out on his own without the approval of the current Head Coach.

Or it could all be an innocent coincidence too

Rob Ryan is nothing but a lot of talk and a badge. His defenses sucked in Oakland, and his current bunch isn't exactly getting mistaken for the 86 Bears. Yes, they don't have talent. Still, he shouldn't get a pass because of that, and he definitely shouldn't get to run the team because he holds a press conference and admits that the team sucks but, by golly, they're going to get this thing turned around. If that's what passes for head coaching material, then the Browns should call Tom Cable and see if he has a brother.

Dennis

From what I remember of his Oakland Ds, is that they weren't just his. Team ran the same defense before he got there, and after he got there, and still is now that he's 2500 miles away.

I remember reading about Ryan putting in game plan specific defenses Friday nights and Saturday mornings so that Al Davis didn't see them when he OK'd that weeks strategy. I realize there are a lot of conspiracy theories surrounding Davis and what he does or doesn't do in Oakland. But when a team is running the same one deep safety, man coverage, 4-3 for as long as I can remember, with at least 5 DCs I can remember, I'd be willing to bet that's no BS.

Now the D hasn't been good here. Had flashes where I liked what I saw. I'm not about to give up, say fire everyone and start over again. That's exactly how the organization got to this point. I don't care how bad it looks this year; it's not as if I expected the lousy team from last year, now with more draft picks and less talent, to win any awards.

I think he's just a dude who speaks his mind when something bugs him. Seems like something his old man would do...

Not for nothing, but as a head coach, Buddy was a great defensive coordinator...not that that means that Rob (who hasn't ever dazzled as a DC) wouldn't be the opposite, but still.

Dennis

Well, it seems more honest than Mangini cruising through the season like everything's going fine.

Mangini knows things aren't where they need to be...ranting and raving isn't going to change anything.

Someone with a little fire.. he should be the head coach

We all cried the same thing about Defensive Coordinator Todd Grantham ... months later we was fired by Crennel and hired as the Cowboys Defensive line coach. The Cowboys were ranked 6th in Rush defense prior to Grantham joining them, 12th last season under Grantham and 16th so far this year.

Add Grantham to the list of personnel us fans bitched to be promoted. Good thing we didn't boycott that one ...

This is my favorite part of that article and I think it sums up the way I think we should all feel as Browns fans:

"This is a town that's tough and loves football," Ryan said. "Nobody's happy. I hate me, too. So, they hate me. That doesn't mean you turn your back. I've got a kid who flunked a class one time. I don't turn my back on him, I go get him a tutor and help him. Now he's a straight-A student, as far as you know.

"Bottom line is, my God, a little adversity happens, you don't turn your back. You fight, you rub your hands together and you fight harder. That's what we're going to do on defense. It starts with Chicago, not after the open week. We're not saving anything for the open week. We're going to get after it this week."

Archived