THE BROWNS BOARD

Marcus Benard promoted

Thaak

The Cleveland Browns promoted rookie linebacker Marcus Benard to the active roster today, moving him up from the practice squad.

Benard is an undrafted free agent from Jackson State.

Cut during the Browns' final major roster cutdown, Benard has been on the practice squad all season.

He played defensive end at Jackson State, but plays outside linebacker for the Browns.

Meanwhile, the Browns still have another roster vacancy.

more @: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Wilson...linebacker.html

http://cle.scout.com/a.z?s=149&p=8&amp...amp;nid=4326167

Ht: 6-2 Wt: 256

Position: LB

Date of Birth: 07/26/1985

Experience: R

College: Jackson State

Key member of defensive unit at Jackson State (2007-08) for two years, earning All-SWAC honors as a senior…Logged 80 tackles along with 16 sacks and 22.5 tackles for loss in 2008…Saw action in all 12 games as a junior, racking up 45 tackles and nine sacks…Had 33 tackles and nine sacks in five games for Grand Rapids Community College in 2006 and 43 tackles and 12 sacks in 2005…Plays the piano, organ, guitar, drums and saxophone and was a member of his high school band… Attended Ypsilanti (Mich.) High School.

The Browns today announced that they have waived LB Marcus Benard, who impressed during the pre-season. The Browns may attempt to re-sign him to the practice squad. (which they did..and now hes on the big one...)

How about adding some info to your posts...who the hell is the guy??

Some guy with the Browns or some shoe salesman at Sears??

Sorry, I assumed you'd been paying attention on the offseason and during preseason games when this guy looked like a stud.

Mangini said Bowens would play inside, and Benard would play outside opposite of Wimbley.

he didnt say he was going to start at OLB he said he's going to keep playing him at outside just like he is only playing Veikune at ILB so they can learn one position first. It will probably be trusnik at OLB with Maiva at ILB or trusnik inside and Hall outside

he didnt say he was going to start at OLB he said he's going to keep playing him at outside just like he is only playing Veikune at ILB so they can learn one position first. It will probably be trusnik at OLB with Maiva at ILB or trusnik inside and Hall outside

I thought it was a rotation. Trusnik/Benard, Wimbley/Bowens

I thought it was a rotation. Trusnik/Benard, Wimbley/Bowens

wimbley and bowens are for sure OLB and ILB starters, Then Trusnik can play inside or outside, Probably outside since Veikune and Maiva both play inside, then you have Hall, Bernard outside and Castanza im not sure were he plays inside or out. They'll be a rotation but Benard wont start and I dont think he'll get that many reps if any. In the press conference Mangini said he has to find a way to make the gameday roster by contributing on ST's first. That doesnt sound like a guy thats going to get many reps at LB to me.

Sorry, I assumed you'd been paying attention on the offseason and during preseason games when this guy looked like a stud.

It's not a matter of paying attention, it's a matter of it being 3-4 months ago.

We have had so many players come and go I don't even try to remember who is who.

That isn't my fault.

Sure it is....you obviously read something to say " Bernard promoted"

My point is why not add some information when you add a thread to the board???

It's one thing to add a comment to a thread. It's another to start a new thread and not give any information.

Sure it is....you obviously read something to say " Bernard promoted"

My point is why not add some information when you add a thread to the board???

It's one thing to add a comment to a thread. It's another to start a new thread and not give any information.

Because there was no more information than that. It was a single sentence that said he was promoted.

It isn't my fault that you don't know/remember who Benard is.

Because there was no more information than that. It was a single sentence that said he was promoted.

It isn't my fault that you don't know/remember who Benard is.

Most of us don't remember him because he simply didn't and still doesn't matter. If and when he actually contributes then maybe it will be weird if we don't know him but no logical human being scouts an undrafted rookie LB in the second half of a preseason game. On that note, is anybody really excited about this move? This is a non-issue.

i'm excited...said he looked like our best OLB in the pre-season!

I sort of remember him too and he looked alright considering who he was playing against but I wouldn't get too excited about what looks to be a move made because we have no other option. I hope he's awesome too but I have just never heard of fans getting excited about a practice squad player getting the call to come up. It just seems a little premature.

Most of us don't remember him because he simply didn't and still doesn't matter. If and when he actually contributes then maybe it will be weird if we don't know him but no logical human being scouts an undrafted rookie LB in the second half of a preseason game. On that note, is anybody really excited about this move? This is a non-issue.

Then you must not have been paying much attention to what was happening on this board, or in the preseason games.

I believe he played with the 1's a couple of the preseason games, and looked like a monster in some plays.

Also, many of the articles regarding the "bubble" players on the OBR and elsewhere (which all ended up on this board in one form or another) had glowing reviews of him.

I didn't do any extra scouting onf Benard. I simply paid attention to the articles on this message board and the OBR, and when I saw he'd been promoted, I remembered the name and the articles.

Really not that difficult if you were paying even a remote amount of attention.

I sort of remember him too and he looked alright considering who he was playing against but I wouldn't get too excited about what looks to be a move made because we have no other option. I hope he's awesome too but I have just never heard of fans getting excited about a practice squad player getting the call to come up. It just seems a little premature.

It isn't about being excited. Its about seeing if someone that looked like he had some exciting potential can perform or not. Seeing if we have that James Harrison or whatever. That's what's exciting.

Then you must not have been paying much attention to what was happening on this board, or in the preseason games.

I believe he played with the 1's a couple of the preseason games, and looked like a monster in some plays.

Also, many of the articles regarding the "bubble" players on the OBR and elsewhere (which all ended up on this board in one form or another) had glowing reviews of him.

I didn't do any extra scouting onf Benard. I simply paid attention to the articles on this message board and the OBR, and when I saw he'd been promoted, I remembered the name and the articles.

Really not that difficult if you were paying even a remote amount of attention.

Still, its a non-issue.

I do remember him but it was preseason, he was playing scrubs, and he was put on the practice squad for a reason. He's being called up because we have an extra roster spot and we're down a LB. I just don't expect fireworks or even significant playing time.

It isn't about being excited. Its about seeing if someone that looked like he had some exciting potential can perform or not. Seeing if we have that James Harrison or whatever. That's what's exciting.

I guess I can see it. He played his ass off when he was in there and looked like he was enjoyng himself. May as well see what he's got. If he plays.

Still, its a non-issue.

I do remember him but it was preseason, he was playing scrubs, and he was put on the practice squad for a reason. He's being called up because we have an extra roster spot and we're down a LB. I just don't expect fireworks or even significant playing time.

Did you note where I said I seem to remember him playing with the 1's a few times? Presumably that's not scrubs (unless they are on this team apparently)

Archived