THE BROWNS BOARD

Ron Jaworski comments on the Browns

CLEVELandMILIDH

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...ense_so_ba.html

Bad news for Brady Quinn: The Browns offense is so bad that not even Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or Drew Brees could flourish in it, according to ESPN analyst Ron Jaworski.

Despite that, Jaworski, a member of the "Monday Night Football" broadcast team that will televise Monday's game against the Ravens, thinks Quinn still has what it takes to eventually take the Browns to the playoffs or a Super Bowl.

"I think he has a big upside," said Jaworski, a former Pro Bowl quarterback and 17-year NFL vet. "I haven't wavered on him since he came out of Notre Dame. I've seen flashes of a rock-solid quarterback. He needs experience and coaching, but he has the skill set to be a successful NFL quarterback."

Problem is, he'll have a hard time proving that with so little to work with, Jaworski said.

"It's not going to make a whole lot of difference who you put back there right now," said Jaworski, who's studied coaching tapes of six of the Browns' eight games in preparation for Monday night's Browns-Ravens rematch. "The components aren't in place for a quarterback to flourish. It's a slow, plodding offense. There's no separation from the receivers. You're throwing into tight windows all day. It's not an explosive group by any means."

And it's not going to become one overnight, he said.

"You need someone in the backfield that's more explosive," he said. "Jamal [Lewis] can give you that downhill, power running game, but there's really no threat to the outside. Defenses can compress the field and keep everything inside. You've got to find a game-breaker at wide receiver, and a No. 1 is hard to come by. You need more consistency on the right side of the offensive line and more speed at tight end. I don't think it's going to get done in one year."

The absence of playmakers is the biggest problem, he said.

"Braylon Edwards was the playmaker," he said. "He dropped some balls, but at least he was someone you had to worry about. With Mohamed Massaquoi and Brian Robiskie, there's upside, but they're not going to be No. 1 receivers. Defenses won't fear them or double them. They're good, solid No. 2s and No. 3s. Josh Cribbs can make plays, but he's a gimmick and a gadget, not a consistent NFL threat."

Jaworski said the Browns' offensive scheme -- which features the short-passing game -- is fine, "but your tight ends can't run to stretch the field, and you're not going to open up voids in the middle of the field. You're very limited as a play caller. The best you can do is shorten games: run the ball, keep the game close, get in that fourth quarter with a chance to win. It's not the way I like to play, but when you look at this team right now, that's how you have to play."

He said the only offensive player who's turned in solid performances week in and week out has been left tackle Joe Thomas.

"Even guys like Eric Steinbach, I looked at the game against Denver, and he pulls out on a play and Mario Haggan just stones him," Jaworski said. "It's like, 'Wait, he should be a dominant player.' "

He called the five offensive TDs in the past 14 games "embarrassing, especially when Jim Brown had five TDs in one game and Tom Brady threw five TD passes in one quarter this season. I wish I could sugarcoat it for Browns fans, but that's the reality."

He said the Browns shouldn't have pulled Quinn after 21/2 games.

"Ten quarters is not enough to make a true evaluation," said Jaworski. "I looked at the first half of the [Ravens] game to find out why he was pulled. Obviously the interception was a bad decision, but I didn't see anything the next series that said, 'Get this guy out of the game.' "

Browns offensive coordinator Brian Daboll said a lot of thought went into the decision and he "hasn't had time to reflect on it" while trying to improve the offense. Jaworski said it's imperative to choose a quarterback and stick with him, especially if it's a young guy with promise.

"In this league, the quarterback is going to be get embarrassed," said Jaworski. "But you have to believe in him and not bail out when times get tough."

He said he's seen Quinn hold onto the ball too long at times but make good reads other times. "The consistency wasn't there, but it takes time," he said.

Jaworski said Derek Anderson, who went 1-4, is "not the right fit for this offense. He has some talent, but needs to be with a vertical passing game. I'm sure it's been very difficult for him just like it's been for Brady. I've counted 24 dropped passes, most in the NFL. They're getting no help."

He said he doesn't feel for Quinn, because this is a great opportunity for him.

"When a quarterback gets benched, embarrassed and to a certain degree humiliated, it's the worst thing that can happen to you so you come back with an 'I don't give a damn attitude,' " said Jaworski. "I kind of think that's how Brady will play -- but it will still be very difficult because of the personnel around him."

You sir are an idiot.

Ever hear of Peyton Manning or Tom Brady? Big gay Ben is maybe the 3rd best QB in the AFC...he might even be 4th behind Rivers, Manning and Brady.

Better than any of the QB's on our roster but certainly not the only QB who could improve the play of this team.

Jaworski says about our situation at receiver:

"You've got to find a game-breaker at wide receiver, and a No. 1 is hard to come by... Braylon Edwards was the playmaker. He dropped some balls, but at least he was someone you had to worry about. With Mohamed Massaquoi and Brian Robiskie, there's upside, but they're not going to be No. 1 receivers. Defenses won't fear them or double them. They're good, solid No. 2s and No. 3s. Josh Cribbs can make plays, but he's a gimmick and a gadget, not a consistent NFL threat."

A few comments. First, there are plenty of Super Bowl teams that have lacked that legitimate no. 1 receiver. A good system with competent receivers can get it done.

Second, while we will clearly need more depth at receiver in the coming years, it's way too early to say that our no. 1 is not already on the team. How can he be so confident that Massaquoi is not going to be a no. 1? Doesn't it take several years, typically, for NFL receivers to start reaching their potential? Massaquoi is a smart kid with a ton of character. I really hope he and Mangini have a chance to make Jaworski eat his words.

Third, how worried were teams about Braylon, really? Are defenses really playing us very differently now that he's gone? This is more of a question than a comment, but I suspect that Massaquoi's big game again Cinci turned heads as much as anything Braylon did this year.

Anyway, I fully agree with him that we need a bigger threat at RB. I'm just more optimistic than he is that our receivers will pan out in the long run, provided we can add a bit more depth at the position.

Guest berniesipe
You sir are an idiot.

Ever hear of Peyton Manning or Tom Brady? Big gay Ben is maybe the 3rd best QB in the AFC...he might even be 4th behind Rivers, Manning and Brady.

Better than any of the QB's on our roster but certainly not the only QB who could improve the play of this team.

When you say "gay" you must have brady quinn on your mind. Big Ben is by far the best QB in the league and a future hall of famer.

When you say "gay" you must have brady quinn on your mind. Big Ben is by far the best QB in the league and a future hall of famer.

Or Some might argue that BR may only be the 5th or 6th best in the AFC (not even counting the NFC), behind Brady, Manning, Rivers, Palmer, and potentially Flacco. Personally, I would say somewhere between 4th and 5th.

Guest berniesipe
Or Some might argue that BR may only be the 5th or 6th best in the AFC (not even counting the NFC), behind Brady, Manning, Rivers, Palmer, and potentially Flacco. Personally, I would say somewhere between 4th and 5th.

I suppose its one of those things that isn't black and white. What do you base it on, stats or wins?

Why did the browns take the soldier instead of big ben?

Did big ben get his nickname from the girls on the miami of ohio campus?

By far??? You're an idiot. Manning and Brady are clearly better QB's and this year Rivers probably has better numbers in the AFC. Brees has better numbers in the NFC, that puts him in at least 5th place in the league.

What is with Steeler homos hanging out here all the time? At least some have some semblence of objectivity and brains but the new ones we keep getting are just stupid and lame.

I suppose its one of those things that isn't black and white. What do you base it on, stats or wins?

Why did the browns take the soldier instead of big ben?

Did big ben get his nickname from the girls on the miami of ohio campus?

Probably from the guys, he isn't calle Big Gay Ben for nothing.

Why did they take Winslow instead of BR? Because every single scouting organization had him ranked far higher as a prospect. In fact, he was thought to be a steal and many felt he was top 5 material. He very well may have been. It was his stupid motorcycle accident and other injuries that somewhat have hampered his talent.

Guest berniesipe
By far??? You're an idiot. Manning and Brady are clearly better QB's and this year Rivers probably has better numbers in the AFC. Brees has better numbers in the NFC, that puts him in at least 5th place in the league.

What is with Steeler homos hanging out here all the time? At least some have some semblence of objectivity and brains but the new ones we keep getting are just stupid and lame.

I don't appreciate your insults! Does your mom know you talk this way to adults?

I don't appreciate your insults! Does your mom know you talk this way to adults?

Kiss my ass homo...if you don't like it, get the hell out. You're xxxxing Retarded if you're saying you would'nt trade Gay Ben straight up for Manning or Brady.

It is hard to argue with what Jaws said. The browns haven't had a receiver (including braylon) that could really get open like Ocho Stinko, steve smith etc. Most of Braylon's big plays were perfect threaded throws by the good DA or balls thrown up into good coverage hoping that Braylon would come down with the ball.

This is just plain stupid

WTF you talking about? P. Manning, Brady, and Rivers are considered better than BR. If I put BR 4th I am doing exactly what most experts are doing. And arguably Carson Palmer is a better QB, but he certainly has been behind BR in one category: the quality of his surrounding cast.

What is stupid is you thinking BR is a god. He is very good, but there are 3-4 in the AFC that are better.

Guest berniesipe
Kiss my ass homo...if you don't like it, get the hell out. You're xxxxing Retarded if you're saying you would'nt trade Gay Ben straight up for Manning or Brady.

Your not dizzy are you?

Guest berniesipe

well your obviously in love with Big Ben, that would lead me to beleive your a Steelers fan. I dont no any Browns fans that droll over big ben.

[/quo

Most brown fans don't know talent.

There is a reason they call all the players a team. It's not one person who is a deciding factor on a win or a loss. Why do you have to comment on Browns fans not knowing talent? It's not up to us to decide who we pick and sign. It's up to management. Why are you even wasting hours of your life on a Browns board anyways? I know that bully who took your lunch money had a Browns hat on but come on. This is the internet, stop running your mouth. Not one person here will think you are tough.

Most brown fans don't know talent.

No one has questioned his talent. Just that he's not as good as Brady or Manning and this year probably Rivers and Palmer. Let's put it this way, I think it would be a long shot for Ben to make the pro bowl from the AFC.

I could care less who he plays for. He's not as good a QB as Manning or Brady, the stats prove that fact. Only an idiot assumes that the player on his favorite team has to be the best player in the league because he plays for his favorite team.

Nothing wrong with being the 3rd best QB in the AFC...my point is that he's clearly not the best in the league as one of your inbred Steeler hicks said or even the best in the AFC and with the season that Rivers is having along with Manning and Brady, Rothlisberger is going to have a hard time even making the pro bowl in the AFC. Manning is a favorite for the MVP and Brady is starting to put up stupid numbers and Rivers is carrying the Chargers (who have the worst running game in the NFL).

Too bad you can't be objective. It's not like we're sitting here saying the guy sucks...he's just not the best in the league or even in the AFC.

You sir are an idiot.

Agreed That Manning and Brady would also Be in that boat. Rivers ... Not sure he is more than The New Dan Fouts. A slinger , but not a BIG Winner.

I love how one guy can throw a thread so off track on this board.. One troll thread and you guys take it hook line and sinker..

Back to the Jaworski article..which is excellent by the way and I give it credibility because he has watched the film. He makes no mention of Daboll as the issue with playcalling. If you notice he DEFINITIVELY places the blame elswere and notes the reason for the lame playcalling...If you didn't catch this..you should read the article again.. It's the players and the exectution that are actually holding back the playcalling according to Jaws.. I am not in love with Daboll.. but our offensive problems are NOT about him..

I like Jaws and I respect his opinions.

Depending on the coach:

I've seen the Browns running the most rudimentary offense imaginable at the pro level because the head coach wanted to start simple and develop the playbook as the players were able to grasp it and execute.

I've seen the Browns throw in the occasional gadget play in an attempt to make the offense more "fun" and "interesting" for the players.

I've seen the Browns with a more complex playbook running around aimlessly on the field like a cat chasing a ball of yarn.

I think every possible combination has been tried.

The bottom line is you have to have disciplined players who are smart enough to understand the playbook and skilled enough to execute the plays. I believe this is where Mangini is trying to go. I also believe that one should have high expectations. It takes time for everything to come together but it all starts with having the right people. I like Mangini's philosophy as he's expressed it in the interviews I've read because I think it addresses all of these things. I hope he can make it work.

Guest berniesipe
I love how one guy can throw a thread so off track on this board.. One troll thread and you guys take it hook line and sinker..

Back to the Jaworski article..which is excellent by the way and I give it credibility because he has watched the film. He makes no mention of Daboll as the issue with playcalling. If you notice he DEFINITIVELY places the blame elswere and notes the reason for the lame playcalling...If you didn't catch this..you should read the article again.. It's the players and the exectution that are actually holding back the playcalling according to Jaws.. I am not in love with Daboll.. but our offensive problems are NOT about him..

You caught that huh? I was just letting some of the brown fans vent their frustration :)

I haven't been a Daboll fan either, but I do agree that execution is key. These young receivers haven't yet learned to effectively adjust routes, etc. I have read that WR takes some time to really learn.

Mike

Archived