THE BROWNS BOARD

Laveranues Coles

ATENEARS

I'm a Mangini apologist, but can't stand watching Cincinnatti Bungles games and seeing Laveranues Coles make clutch possession catches.

This is EXCATLY the verteran possesion receiver we needed and he was a staple for the Jets.

WTF?

I'm a Mangini apologist, but can't stand watching Cincinnatti Bungles games and seeing Laveranues Coles make clutch possession catches.

This is EXCATLY the verteran possesion receiver we needed and he was a staple for the Jets.

WTF?

I posted his quote before. He said you are either "one of Mangini's guys or not". Meaning if you like him he likes you. I guess he doesn't like Mangini. But the good news is marginal, average Jets players like him.

WTF?

It does suck to see that, but remember that free agency is a two-way street. Hell, I hate the Bengals, but I'd rather catch passes from Carson Palmer if I needed to get paid. He made a smart career move. We haven't had a successful free-agent WR signing yet between Joe J, Stallworth, and the rest.

If the catches lead to Steeler losses (or Raven losses), I'll happily watch them all day long. But then, I like the Bengals and want them in first place if the Browns aren't going to be there.

Mangini is huge on character, and intelligence:

Laveranues Coles

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Laveranues Coles

Coles during his second stint with the Jets.

No. 11 Cincinnati Bengals

Wide receiver

Personal information

Date of birth: December 29, 1977 (1977-12-29) (age 31)

Place of birth: Jacksonville, Florida

Height: 5 ft 11 in (1.80 m) Weight: 200 lb (91 kg)

Career information

College: Florida State

NFL Draft: 2000 / Round: 3 / Pick: 78

Debuted in 2000 for the New York Jets

Career history

As player:

New York Jets (2000–2002)

Washington Redskins (2003–2004)

New York Jets (2005–2008)

Cincinnati Bengals (2009–present)

[edit] Early years

While attending Ribault High School in Jacksonville, Florida, Coles played football, basketball, and ran track. In football, he rushed for nearly 5,000 yards in his career, was named to the Blue Chip Dream Team, and was a first team Class 4A All-State selection. In basketball, he was a member of a state championship team as a senior. In track, he recorded a time of 10.6 seconds in the 100 meter dash and 21.8 seconds in the 200-meter dash. Due to a scandal at Florida State which resulted in Coles's dismissal from the team, he often refers to his high school when introducing himself on Monday Night Football.

[edit] College career

Coles attended Florida State University.

[edit] Dillard's department store incident

On September 29, 1999, during his senior season at Florida State, Coles and teammate Peter Warrick went to a Tallahassee, Florida Dillard's department store and, with the aid of a cashier with whom they were friendly, purchased $412.38 worth of clothing and were charged only $21.40—a discount so large that it is considered shoplifting under Florida law. An off-duty officer saw the event through a surveillance camera, according to police. Coles, Warrick, and the clerk, Rachel Myrtil, were arrested for grand theft. On October 22, Coles pleaded guilty to misdemeanor petty theft and was dismissed from the team.[1] At that year's rivalry game at Florida, Gators fans brought Dillard's bags to Ben Hill Griffin Stadium to mock the team. Florida State won the game, and Seminole fans returned the mocking by requesting the bags as souvenirs.

Coles childhood nickname was "Trouble".[2] Coles was arrested in 1998 for simple battery, suspended for the Seminoles' 1999 season opener versus Louisiana Tech for academic reasons, and discovered to have accepted a plane ticket from a sports agent's representative in 1999.[2]

Valid points NW Ohio Brownie, and Calfox ... Free Agency is a two-way street, and Cincy is further along than us (to put it politely), and Coles has some 'troubled' past ... that is enough to settle me on hoping/wondering how we missed bring him here.

I was (and still am in some ways) a big Coles fan but he’s soon going to be a 32 y/o receiver with a history of concussions. I was happy to see Coles get his money from the Bengals but would've been more ambivalent about it if the Jets resigned him because he’s one good hit away from retirement.

BTW, thanks for BE and his special ability to unnecessarily jump for balls.....cost him a TD and possibly a game today.

Coles isn't having a great season. After signing a 4 year, $27.5M deal ($9.5M guar.), he's only on pace for 48/520/5, way down from his '08 numbers (70/850/7).

They expected a lot from him this year. Instead, he started the season with a drop-plagued performance in the Bengals' loss to the Broncos.

With Chris Henry on IR, Coles is going to get more opportunities. Let's see if he can keep contributing at a high level.

I was (and still am in some ways) a big Coles fan but he’s soon going to be a 32 y/o receiver with a history of concussions. I was happy to see Coles get his money from the Bengals but would've been more ambivalent about it if the Jets resigned him because he’s one good hit away from retirement.

BTW, thanks for BE and his special ability to unnecessarily jump for balls.....cost him a TD and possibly a game today.

Yup, and dropped a two point conversion- he's your problem now.

Archived