THE BROWNS BOARD

Defense Looked Good

Earl34

I'm not one for silver linings. Losses suck.

I have to admit however, that the defense played very well. They confused Flacco. They hit hard. They played the full game without giving up. I saw a lot from Maiava and even Trusnik. I thought Big Baby was consistently getting into the backfield and the d-line on the whole was great. I think McDonald giving up the long play was really the one play where I thought it might be falling apart.

It's a true shame that this defense was on the field as much as it was. I can't imagine how good they'd be if they had rest.

When you give up 10 points on defense, it's on your offense. 10 points on defense in the NFL should equal a win.

I have to admit however, that the defense played very well. They confused Flacco. They hit hard. They played the full game without giving up. I saw a lot from Maiava and even Trusnik. I thought Big Baby was consistently getting into the backfield and the d-line on the whole was great. I think McDonald giving up the long play was really the one play where I thought it might be falling apart.

It's a true shame that this defense was on the field as much as it was. I can't imagine how good they'd be if they had rest.

When you give up 10 points on defense, it's on your offense. 10 points on defense in the NFL should equal a win.

I agree on Maiava and Trusnik (sorry just started another post on this same subject, I should have read here first).

However, don't give me the excuse of anyone tonight not getting enough rest. Between the injuries, play-reviews, TV timeouts, and all the other stoppage in play, it would be surprising if anyone was even able to break a sweat.

Worst aspect about being in attendance. At home you can go to the fridge, take a piss or bone the wife between some of these delays. At the game, you sit there and watch planes fly over.

Trusnik has been impressive two weeks in a row. They need to keep this guy on the field.

Rogers is a beast.

McDonald needs to go. That block in the back penalty on the punt return was one of the biggest bonehead plays that i've ever seen. He did it after the play was past him, in the wide open field, right in front of the ref. He took critical field position away from the team in a 0-0 game.

Pontbriand played well (while i was there).

Looking for positives to say...

The D did play very well last night, they held the Rats to one field goal really when you factor in the 2 INT's-1 for a TD and the other in great field position.

I was really impressed with Maiava! There were at least two plays where he took down the ball carrier in open space that if he doesn't make the tackle the play goes for a huge gain. Trusnik played well too and I thought the penalty on him for low hitting Flacco as he was falling to the turf was BS.

The whole D-line played outstanding for most of the game. I liked different looks that confused Flacco at times.

On offense, ummmm....I liked seeing all the shifting to try to mask what they were trying to do. The WildDawg worked for the most part almost everytime they ran it. Quinn at least showed he could throw down field but on the 2 or 3 occasions he did he actually overthrew the intended receiver.

Looking for positives to say...

The D did play very well last night, they held the Rats to one field goal really when you factor in the 2 INT's-1 for a TD and the other in great field position.

I was really impressed with Maiava! There were at least two plays where he took down the ball carrier in open space that if he doesn't make the tackle the play goes for a huge gain. Trusnik played well too and I thought the penalty on him for low hitting Flacco as he was falling to the turf was BS.

The whole D-line played outstanding for most of the game. I liked different looks that confused Flacco at times.

On offense, ummmm....I liked seeing all the shifting to try to mask what they were trying to do. The WildDawg worked for the most part almost everytime they ran it. Quinn at least showed he could throw down field but on the 2 or 3 occasions he did he actually overthrew the intended receiver.

no, when quinn threw downfield, the ball drifted out of bounds. two, maybe three times?

please don't forget that.

i concur.

the D actually made solid tackles and WAS HITTING THE QB. What a novel concept!!

i would literally take a penalty on hitting the QB on every single play if i was a coach and not be upset.

i'm still pissed how we didn't even touch aaron rodgers.

not to mention a couple nice hard hits on Todd Heap.

You almost feel sorry for the Dline.

They don't deserve this team.......yet still in the second half they battled and fought hard. I don't know where they get their energy from.......i'm hoping it doesn't run out or this team will be a complete failure.

It doesn't take very long to burn our secondary....... serious help needed there too.

You know, I've been bashing the secondary from day one but I think that McDonald is the real weak link. When ESPN was done stroking themselves long enough to show an all 22 view....Flacco was confused and the coverage was generally tight. When they completed the pass to Heap and Elam laid the lumber on him...I jumped off the couch.

At least Wright and Pool were active in run support and generally good in coverage. Maiava also played well covering Rice who is very tough out of the backfield.

This was a top-10 offense and we held them to a touchdown and a field goal after a turnover. That's simply outstanding. Note to offense: Feel free to put up some points.

I'm not disagree with the LB (Maiava looked good as a rookie!).....and yes the one wicked hit.......I guess if you want to narrow it down i'm not a fan of Wright or McDonald...followed by Adams and Sorenson when they are on.

I'm not sure if I would go as far and say Baltimore has a top 10 offense.....maybe #10....... I think they would have beaten us a whole lot more if they threw the ball down the field more and if they got less Dline pressure.

I'm not disagree with the LB (Maiava looked good as a rookie!).....and yes the one wicked hit.......I guess if you want to narrow it down i'm not a fan of Wright or McDonald.

I'm not sure if I would go as far and say Baltimore has a top 10 offense.....maybe #10....... I think they would have beaten us a whole lot more if they threw the ball down the field more and if they got less Dline pressure.

Buster, I meant statistically they ranked #10. If that's how we're measuring the Browns' ineptitude, then that's how we measure how good the opponent is.

I don't think Flacco could throw downfield. The presnap disguises of the coverage were great and the pressure was on him.

I don't think he could throw down the field because of the constant pressure....... I think they ran the ball way too much in the first half, which obviously didn't work, but if they threw the ball more and challenged our secondary- they would have been more successful in the first.

I did see some of the replays last night in terms of one or 2 series where the coverage was good......but I also saw Mcdonald screw up royally for one TD, and a few catches made that never should have been.

I don't think he could throw down the field because of the constant pressure....... I think they ran the ball way too much in the first half, which obviously didn't work, but if they threw the ball more and challenged our secondary- they would have been more successful in the first.

I did see some of the replays last night in terms of one or 2 series where the coverage was good......but I also saw Mcdonald screw up royally for one TD, and a few catches made that never should have been.

Agree on McDonald. I don't think he ever looked up so it's kind of enigmatic. Was he trying to undercut the route or was he THAT far out of position on Mason? Either way, he whiffed big time.

Archived