THE BROWNS BOARD

Well, we know for sure two things...

DAOSUpimp

it really isn't whoever is the QB..... it's DABOLL and the OL!!!!! The Offensive play calling sucks! and our QB's have less than a sec. to do something with the ball. Hell, Quinn barely gets out from center and the D is in his grill.

Both DA and BQ were ok/decent/good QB's a year or two years ago. NOW? They both magically turn horrible and put up pretty much the same ugly horrid stats? Hmm, what common aspect do they both have in common?

they both have to run the same putrid offense that their OC is calling.

It's not the QB's guys, it's the OC. I feel bad for the two QB's. They NEVER played this bad before Daboll got here.

But now they both are horrible and almost identical stat lines? No way that happens unless it's the offense they have to run.

Gruden said it last night, "I've never seen so many bubble screens and quick outs. Let the QB throw the ball."

Quinn and DA run the plays Daboll sends in... and they only have .005 to do it with our OL.

it really isn't whoever is the QB..... it's DABOLL and the OL!!!!! The Offensive play calling sucks! and our QB's have less than a sec. to do something with the ball. Hell, Quinn barely gets out from center and the D is in his grill.

Both DA and BQ were ok/decent/good QB's a year or two years ago. NOW? They both magically turn horrible and put up pretty much the same ugly horrid stats? Hmm, what common aspect do they both have in common?

they both have to run the same putrid offense that their OC is calling.

It's not the QB's guys, it's the OC. I feel bad for the two QB's. They NEVER played this bad before Daboll got here.

But now they both are horrible and almost identical stat lines? No way that happens unless it's the offense they have to run.

Gruden said it last night, "I've never seen so many bubble screens and quick outs. Let the QB throw the ball."

Quinn and DA run the plays Daboll sends in... and they only have .005 to do it with our OL.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Too bad everybody else is just going to call you stupid, because it's common knowledge that it's all Brady Quinn's fault and we need to get rid of him immediately because he's making the entire team go down the drain.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Too bad everybody else is just going to call you stupid, because it's common knowledge that it's all Brady Quinn's fault and we need to get rid of him immediately because he's making the entire team go down the drain.

I'm not disagreeing about Daboll. But between him and Kokinis, maybe you might want to take a look at who has "hand picked" both of these guys and consider making a change there.

After all, who's going to "Hand Pick" Daboll's replacemnt if he's fired. The same guy who thought he was the best guy for the job in the first place?

Quinn and DA run the plays Daboll sends in...

You don't know this.

A lot of what Gruden called "bubble screens" thrown to Furrey were actually "smoke" routes. The Gruden rant was a bit of hyperbole . . . which is good television. Jaws actually correctly identified at least one of the throws as a smoke route in real time.

Bubble Screen vs. Smoke: While they are both passes thrown parallel to the line of scrimmage, a "bubble screen" is a designed/predetermined play with blocking receivers, usually beginning in a "bunch" formation. A smoke route is thrown to a WR when a DB is playing off the WR. It's either a read at the line of scrimmage for the QB and WR or it's audibled into. If the DB is playing up the WR runs his route, but if the DB is playing off, it's a smoke route and it's the WR's job to try to break a tackle. There are no designed blockers. A few of the passes intended for Cribbs were bubble screens. All the passes to Furrey were smoke routes that were dictated by the coverage -- not the offensive play call per se.

If you can watch any part of the tv coverage where they showed our WRs running their routes from the overhead camera, you'll see that the Ravens corners actually played off our WRs all night with inside position. That's why we saw so many smoke routes. The Ravens had no respect for Quinn's ability to throw the ball outside the hashes. They were playing in position where they wouldn't get beat deep and generally were closing on the short routes. Generally, they didn't get into a backpedal until the receiver had already run about 7 yards and had the freedom to attack the shorter passes while facing the action.

A lot of people don't understand that a lot of good high school QBs can complete a ball 45-50 yards down field if a WR gets behind the defender. The hardest throws to make are the deep outs that have to be thrown accurately and with zip to avoid an undercutting DB.

The field the Ravens were defending was basically condensed to inside the hashes. The deep out is the throw that Quinn struggles with and seems to avoid. Whether Quinn avoided that area of the field in his read progressions or Daboll eliminated the routes entirely through play design and calling is something you'd need game film to determine. The smoke routes tell you more about the defensive scheme than the play call.

I'm not saying that Daboll called a good game, but the suggestion that it is the OC who dictates where every throw goes holds until a QB graduates middle school.

You don't know this.

A lot of what Gruden called "bubble screens" thrown to Furrey were actually "smoke" routes. The Gruden rant was a bit of hyperbole . . . which is good television. Jaws actually correctly identified at least one of the throws as a smoke route in real time.

Bubble Screen vs. Smoke: While they are both passes thrown parallel to the line of scrimmage, a "bubble screen" is a designed/predetermined play with blocking receivers, usually beginning in a "bunch" formation. A smoke route is thrown to a WR when a DB is playing off the WR. It's either a read at the line of scrimmage for the QB and WR or it's audibled into. If the DB is playing up the WR runs his route, but if the DB is playing off, it's a smoke route and it's the WR's job to try to break a tackle. There are no designed blockers. A few of the passes intended for Cribbs were bubble screens. All the passes to Furrey were smoke routes that were dictated by the coverage -- not the offensive play call per se. I remember seeing two bubble screens, both for Cribbs.

If you can watch any part of the tv coverage where they showed our WRs running their routes from the overhead camera, you'll see that the Ravens corners actually played off our WRs all night with inside position. That's why we saw so many smoke routes. The Ravens had no respect for Quinn's ability to throw the ball outside the hashes. They were playing in position where they wouldn't get beat deep and generally were closing on the short routes. A lot of people don't understand that a lot of good high school QBs can complete a ball 45-50 yards down field if a WR gets behind the defender. The hardest throws to make are the deep outs that have to be thrown accurately and with zip to avoid an undercutting DB.

The field the Ravens were defending was basically condensed to inside the hashes. The deep out is the throw that Quinn struggles with and seems to avoid. Whether Quinn avoided that area of the field in his read progressions or Daboll eliminated the routes entirely through play design and calling is something you'd need game film to determine. The smoke routes tell you more about the defensive scheme than the play call.

I'm not saying that Daboll called a good game, but the suggestion that it is the OC who dictates where every throw goes holds until until a QB graduates middle school.

Thanks. Very informative.

I'm not disagreeing about Daboll. But between him and Kokinis, maybe you might want to take a look at who has "hand picked" both of these guys and consider making a change there.

After all, who's going to "Hand Pick" Daboll's replacemnt if he's fired. The same guy who thought he was the best guy for the job in the first place?

No, how about the new GM. :huh:

Archived