THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangina accuses Lions of cheating

Ebenezer

Mangini needs to figure out how to have a respectable and workable professional relationship. I do think another year at the coaching helm (with a strong and proven football czar overseeing him, like Holmgren) is probably warranted.

We lost on Sunday, and it sucks, but it was a great football game and the Browns looked competitive for the first time in a while.

It really is quite amazing when you consider the track record... Schwartz and Mangini were apparently buddies and colleagues, going back to their first stint with the Browns under Belichick. Of course this is when Mangini and Kokinis became buddies.

Fast forward to 2009.

Mangini, having already thrown Belichick, head coach when he was with the Browns, under the bus with Spygate, something Jimmy Johnson admits was routine (as also confirmed as a practice going back to the 1950s (http://www.thesportgallery.com/sport-stories/1967aug-nflspy.html))

Now Mangini throws another Browns colleague Jim Schwartz under the bus for fostering another age old practice of players taking every opportunity to catch a breather in a fast paced game...

And speaking of old Browns colleagues, whatever happened to good old "roomie" from his days with the Browns, George Kokinis? Last I heard he had gotten a pretty high level job thanks to his old friend and now head coach Eric Mangini.

How'd that work out?

Man, I would NOT want to be on Eric Mangini's Linked In network.

I would guess that he expects his friends not to cheat against him. Because real friends wouldn't.

My thinking is that if it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, its a duck. The answer is, sure, the Lions were faking injuries.....quack quack.

But how did that affect the fact that our defense played so horrendously in that game. Our DBs should be carrying red capes because they played like matadors to the Lions receivers. We have GOT to improve those guys next year. Eric Berry of Tennessee would be a very smart choice...if King Kong Suh from Nebraska is not there for them to pick. (at this point, the Browns may have their choice...i.e. #1 overall, it is between them, the Bucs, and the Rams)

Why not?

Everything is always somebody elses fault with this guy...guess he and dumbo didnt have a plan for...if someone tried to slow a no huddle by faking injuries...what a Retard ,a crybaby and a loser..this is a guy fighting for his job the only way he knows how to..he cant face the fact and own up to the obvious...that every other teams staff finds a way to outsmart ,out hustle and out maneuver him and his lackeys every week..

Funny because B. Davis made excuses every week. But because he and the media were good buddies, he didn't get railed for it. Mangini also said the most dissapointing part of the loss was that the players played their asses off and still lost. He felt bad for them. So, not only is he correct about the fake injuries, but he is taking a stance that takes the honus off of the players for once. And with a team who's confidence is shaky at best, I'm alright with him deflecting the blame this time. Let the players keep the confidence they did get from that game and carry it over. I really don't see how being right and stroking the players egos for once makes you a pussy or crybaby. When he fines them and makes them practice too hard he's a dick. When he stands up for his young team after a tough loss in which they played their best football this year, he's a pussy. Which is it then? Is he a tyrant or a sissy?

Mangini doesn't have to fight for his job because it is secured. Lerner loves the guy and is willing to finally let somebody try and fix this. And he should.

Quite frankly, I'm sick and tired of the fans feeling about Mangini what the media tells them to feel.

He talked about the injuries during the two-minute because he was asked about it. He simply said it was tough to judge whether it was going on or not. The media drew their own conclusions.

Then everybody wants to dissect every single thing that comes out of his mouth and read into it.

For those of you who want him to slam his defense in the presser, you're just plain stupid. Do you want him to lose the players? Because that's exactly what will happen.

For those of you who think this team has quit, you're also not paying attention. Look at the body language during the games. Players getting excited for one another when plays are made (JL congratulating Brady on the long one to Stuckey comes to mind).

His press conferences tell the media all they NEED to know, not what they WANT to know. Coaches have been doing it that way for years.

But Mangini has not been afraid to explain his thinking at key times in the game. Like how he called timeout to make sure his defense was set. So he gets raped for that one week after he got raped for not calling one when the defensive personnel wasn't right on Monday night.

The fact that he's in a no-win situation with the media sucks because a lot of people in this fan base are eating it up like candy. This is the first coach who's developed discipline and has a plan for the future (acquiring draft picks/evaluating young talent on the roster), but everyone wants to run him out of town because EVERYBODY in the media hates this guy. Give him another year and another draft before we rush to judgment, people.

For the record, I'm just as frustrated as everybody else, but my frustration is directed at the fact that Phil Savage couldn't piece together a viable NFL roster in his four years. His drafts were either bad or empty thanks to trades. I'm not going to blame Mangini because Tony Grossi and Pro Football Talk tell me I should.

Quite frankly, I'm sick and tired of the fans feeling about Mangini what the media tells them to feel.

1st off I don't appreciate you coming in with your holier than thou attitude and lumping everyone into the same category of "you're all just thinking what the media tells you to think". F'ck off. 1-9 tells me what to think. Manginas decision making tells me what to think. Next year I want winners. And you aren't going to have winners with a head coach who now has the honor of coaching the worst Browns team in history still around.

For those of you who want him to slam his defense in the presser, you're just plain stupid. Do you want him to lose the players? Because that's exactly what will happen.

Agreed. Anyone who only wants to slam the defense is stupid. It's defense, offense, and coaching combined. Anyone who lays this terrible squads fortune solely on the defense is a tard.

For those of you who think this team has quit, you're also not paying attention. Look at the body language during the games. Players getting excited for one another when plays are made (JL congratulating Brady on the long one to Stuckey comes to mind).

I don't think most people feel the team has quit. But to base your opinion on body language, you might want to look at the body language in games other than the Lions game. Because it's been pointed out over and over how poor the body language is. People sulking on the bench. Hiding their faces. Arguing. Have they completely quit? No, at least not yet. Are they totally solid? Not even close. To think a smile during the best game they will ever play means they haven't quit though, you're delusional.

His press conferences tell the media all they NEED to know, not what they WANT to know. Coaches have been doing it that way for years.

Telling the media he thinks the other team cheated isn't something they need to know. They WANT to know, because gaffs like that give them something to talk about. He should keep his mouth shut next time.

But Mangini has not been afraid to explain his thinking at key times in the game. Like how he called timeout to make sure his defense was set. So he gets raped for that one week after he got raped for not calling one when the defensive personnel wasn't right on Monday night.

And both were wrong calls. Among many, many others. And more still to come.

The fact that he's in a no-win situation with the media sucks because a lot of people in this fan base are eating it up like candy. This is the first coach who's developed discipline and has a plan for the future (acquiring draft picks/evaluating young talent on the roster), but everyone wants to run him out of town because EVERYBODY in the media hates this guy. Give him another year and another draft before we rush to judgment, people.

Discipline? Having your players questioning your coaching ability to the media doesn't show a disciplined team to me. The defensive 10 men on the field for the Ravens game didn't look disciplined to me. You know what discipline I see? I see Mangini tell Harrison to come talk to him if he has a problem, and then Harrison deactivated the next day. Some discipline.

For the record, I'm just as frustrated as everybody else, but my frustration is directed at the fact that Phil Savage couldn't piece together a viable NFL roster in his four years. His drafts were either bad or empty thanks to trades. I'm not going to blame Mangini because Tony Grossi and Pro Football Talk tell me I should.

You should be frustrated. But not at Savage, he's done. The talent disparity between teams in the NFL is a lot closer than some people think. To only be able to win 1 game, 6-3, with NFL talent says the coaching is to blame. That Detroit loss? That wasn't the players, it was the coaching. Please spout some drivel and attempt to say otherwise. Coaching is more the problem in Cleveland than anything else. That's not what the media is telling me, that's what simple f'king logic is telling me. F off.

1st off I don't appreciate you coming in with your holier than thou attitude and lumping everyone into the same category of "you're all just thinking what the media tells you to think". F'ck off. 1-9 tells me what to think. Manginas decision making tells me what to think. Next year I want winners. And you aren't going to have winners with a head coach who now has the honor of coaching the worst Browns team in history still around.

Ebenezer,

Thanks for your response.

Let me answer in kind. I'm not lumping everyone in together, but it's clear that a great deal of our fans are shaping their opinion of Mangini based on the media's perspective. It started back in training camp before he'd even coached a game. It started because of his reputation for being demanding of the players and tight-lipped with the media. Outside of a few games, this team has been prepared to play. They just haven't sustained it for four quarters. I would use the Minnesota, Cincy, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Buffalo and Mon. night Baltimore games as examples. These were games that this team competed in, but their lack of playmakers showed up.

Agreed. Anyone who only wants to slam the defense is stupid. It's defense, offense, and coaching combined. Anyone who lays this terrible squads fortune solely on the defense is a tard.

You missed my point. The last thing any coach needs to do, especially one who's suffering, is to publicly run down his players.

I don't think most people feel the team has quit. But to base your opinion on body language, you might want to look at the body language in games other than the Lions game. Because it's been pointed out over and over how poor the body language is. People sulking on the bench. Hiding their faces. Arguing. Have they completely quit? No, at least not yet. Are they totally solid? Not even close. To think a smile during the best game they will ever play means they haven't quit though, you're delusional.

I'm not just basing it on body language, but I think that can be a good indicator. Still, a team that's quit would have gone to Detroit and completely laid an egg. No doubt the defense was terrible Sunday, but the offense played well and minimized their mistakes during a short week of preparation.

Telling the media he thinks the other team cheated isn't something they need to know. They WANT to know, because gaffs like that give them something to talk about. He should keep his mouth shut next time.

By addressing the amount of injuries Detroit had during the no-huddle doesn't make this team any worse than it already is. The media inferred what they inferred but even if Mangini believed the Lions weren't on the level and said something about it I would tend to believe his own players might like the fact he mentioned it. Certainly other things he said during the presser also explained the reasons for the loss.

I didn't disagree with the timeout on Sunday, but obviously there was some miscommunication on the Monday night screwup.

Discipline? Having your players questioning your coaching ability to the media doesn't show a disciplined team to me. The defensive 10 men on the field for the Ravens game didn't look disciplined to me. You know what discipline I see? I see Mangini tell Harrison to come talk to him if he has a problem, and then Harrison deactivated the next day. Some discipline.

Who is questioning his ABILITY? Jamal Lewis is the one NFL-roster worthy player this year who questioned his TACTICS, not his ability. Why would so many players follow him to Cleveland and play well? Because they believe in what they are doing. Do you know when you don't have discipline? When someone DOESN'T question what you do. When your kid does something wrong and you punish them and they don't even bat an eye then you know the discipline isn't strong enough. So Mangini practices harder than some other teams do. One player speaks up and all of a sudden it's a team-wide belief? Come on.

You should be frustrated. But not at Savage, he's done. The talent disparity between teams in the NFL is a lot closer than some people think. To only be able to win 1 game, 6-3, with NFL talent says the coaching is to blame. That Detroit loss? That wasn't the players, it was the coaching. Please spout some drivel and attempt to say otherwise. Coaching is more the problem in Cleveland than anything else. That's not what the media is telling me, that's what simple f'king logic is telling me. F off.

Give me a break if you don't think the Browns are severely lacking in talent. Just look within the division. At QB, RB, WR, S, LB it's not even close with those other three rosters. Those are very key positions in this league. The Browns do not have NFL talent at every position, they just have players on an NFL roster filling a spot. For example, would you rather have these running backs: McGahee, Rice, Benson, Mendenhall, Parker OR this one: Lewis? How about receivers: Holmes, Ward, Johnson, Coles, Clayton OR Massaquoi and Cribbs? I could go on and that's just our division. My point is this: Mangini was given a job to come in and establish a disciplined culture with a plan to win consistently rather than try a quick-fix. It's not going to be pretty at first. Did we make some coaching mistakes Sunday? Absolutely. The 3rd down pass with 2 minutes left comes to mind. But Mangini deserves a fair shot. He didn't take over the 1988 SF 49ers here, people. This was a roster with some serious voids in talent. This is only the beginning. Give him a draft and one more year to show improvement, then pass judgment.

God are you dumb.

its all over the web. he is accusing them of faking injuries. what a loser. also says that tackling a receiver in the end zone is not a penalty. at least with the lions we have something to look forward too. the browns are the worse franchise in sports. the coach has to be the biggest loser in the world. makes me wonder if the injuries that stopped the clock with the browns were faked? usually the accuser is the worst. all i know is that Cleveland sucks. period.

You must be Retarded, Calvin Johnson tackled Hank Poteat not the other way around, go back to the tapes idiot, not to mention the fact that before any sort of penalty occured at all Pool already had the ball on the ground, the refs xxxxed up. Stay in detroit and get killed in the gang war, you are a waste of oxygen if you actually think the way you say you do

You must be Retarded, Calvin Johnson tackled Hank Poteat not the other way around, go back to the tapes idiot, not to mention the fact that before any sort of penalty occured at all Pool already had the ball on the ground, the refs xxxxed up. Stay in detroit and get killed in the gang war, you are a waste of oxygen if you actually think the way you say you do

The sad thing is, linsfan is right and you're wrong.

Thank you. As a female, I put up with a lot on this board without complaint but I will (and have), without hesitation, delete crude references to female body parts.

Im not a female but I do like some trash talk but there has got to be some order. I really do think some of the people on here can't be older than 12. Some of the stuff that gets posted on here is just plain stupid.

Mangini need to focus on the game plan and execution. He should want his players wanting that as well. He should not be creating a media distraction with silly crybaby stuff like this. Just my humble oinion.

Then you absolutely don't want to know that the NFL named the AFC Championship Trophy in honor of one of the original and best "cheaters" in the league... the godfather of spying if you willl...

Just warning you... do NOT read this article if you prefer to operate under your current delusion.

http://www.thesportgallery.com/sport-stori...aug-nflspy.html

I would guess that he expects his friends not to cheat against him. Because real friends wouldn't.

You do have to stop and ask yourself... do you think Vince Lombardi know about all the stuff going on in the NFL when he was playing? Do you think all those guys cheating were fooling him?

I think he probably did know about those practices. Heck, he may have engaged in his own "gamesmanship" too.

Yet I don't recall ever hearing about Lombardi ratting out other coaches. I wonder why that is? I wonder why Mangini's really the only coach I can remember accusing two separate head coaches he once was friends with of cheating... or firing another former friend as GM...

No other coaches are coming to mind for me... how about you?

Archived